Update with me on my 2nd CI since the surgery!

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
The CI surgery went well and I had a long road to recovery but now everything looks good and I had my CI activated this morning.

When it was turned on and we had some adjustments to the mapping.. I heard people talking but not specific words but background noise is still static. The audiologist said it will get some time for me to get used to it as it becomes clear and nerves are waking up in the brain right now. I have picked up some words and it shocked the audiologist because I have to pick a word she was covering her mouth with to say a word. I heard the easy words.. I got 100 percent right but with hard words it would be 6 out of 10 right but I did better than most people when they got the CI turned on. Yay! I go back in two weeks for more mapping and speech therphy.

Right now, I have to be on program 1 for 4 days then try to go to program 2 or more to see how I feel and all that. It takes one year or so to complete my hearing journey. Although, I will always be deaf and I will never stop using ASL with the deaf people though! :D

I have picked up sounds that Dave couldn't even hear! I heard a woman close the car door while driving and I heard Dave snap his fingers which he cant even hear! He was suprised. I heard myself and people walking on the floor.. doors opening and closing.. some music (no words to understand yet) and right now I am hearing fan running on my laptop right now!

That is fantastic!! I am considering going bilateral at the moment so can I PM you with questions?

The CI surgery went well and I had a long road to recovery but now everything looks good and I had my CI activated this morning.

When it was turned on and we had some adjustments to the mapping.. I heard people talking but not specific words but background noise is still static. The audiologist said it will get some time for me to get used to it as it becomes clear and nerves are waking up in the brain right now. I have picked up some words and it shocked the audiologist because I have to pick a word she was covering her mouth with to say a word. I heard the easy words.. I got 100 percent right but with hard words it would be 6 out of 10 right but I did better than most people when they got the CI turned on. Yay! I go back in two weeks for more mapping and speech therphy.

Right now, I have to be on program 1 for 4 days then try to go to program 2 or more to see how I feel and all that. It takes one year or so to complete my hearing journey. Although, I will always be deaf and I will never stop using ASL with the deaf people though! :D

I have picked up sounds that Dave couldn't even hear! I heard a woman close the car door while driving and I heard Dave snap his fingers which he cant even hear! He was suprised. I heard myself and people walking on the floor.. doors opening and closing.. some music (no words to understand yet) and right now I am hearing fan running on my laptop right now!

If you can pick up the words out of all the words right, then you are Hard of Hearing or mild hearing loss. It is like the same for listening on the phone without the TTY or TDD. That is what we, Deafies, call them HOH when they can hear or listen on the phone without aid even with the aid to make it louder to hear. If you want to be Deaf because you use ASL. That is fine with us. :thumb: :cool2:

Back