Update: Billionaire Is “Optimistic” About Buying Island for Refugees

Jezie

Reaction score
Of the ideas and arguments I wonder....

Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris is more optimistic than ever that he’ll soon buy an island where Syrian refugees can live.

In September he announced his plan to buy an uninhabited island from either Greece or Italy, and within weeks had already found two possible islands for his project.

Sawiris has since expanded his list to 17 islands with a goal of determining which could support the most people — he has proposed a population 200,000.
While he’s optimistic a deal is at hand, a top aide told Forbes, “Due to the delicacy of the issue he has not disclosed specific reasons for his optimism.”

Sawiris plans to rename his purchase Aylan Island in honor of the three-year-old Syrian boy whose death at sea triggered an outpouring of sympathy around the world for the plight of refugees fleeing the war.

Once an island is purchased, Sawiris plans to involve the public in helping to launch a new city — or country — for the refugees who relocate there. He’s suggested a joint-stock company that allows people to become “a partner in the island” by issuing shares in the project.

He plans to pay refugees to build their own homes and infrastructure to make the island a thriving city that will support itself.

At least two other billionaires have contributed heavily to help refugees from around the world.

Norwegian billionaire Petter Stordalen has donated 5,000 free nights in his Oslo-based hotel chain to house refugees.
New York-based Turkish billionaire Hamdi Ulukaya has been hiring refugees for the past five years at his Chobani yogurt plants. He’s also created the Tent Foundation to provide direct assistance including two million dollars to help groups helping Syrian refugees.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/billionaire-optimistic-buying-island-refugees/

I don't understand why we are not training and arming all able bodied refugee men so they can take their country back. It seems logical that these people, given the right equipment, would fight harder than the people we are currently training.

I don't understand why we are not training and arming all able bodied refugee men so they can take their country back. It seems logical that these people, given the right equipment, would fight harder than the people we are currently training.

How many terrorist groups and fractions must we train? America needs to stop meddling so much. We are the cause of many terrorist groups, we are the ones that trained them, motivated them, or the like... It always seems the right way, but really... Giving them their own island seems like a better idea. The middle east has been fighting for thousands of years, it will not end any time soon regardless of who we train...

You're right. People need to solve their own problems. I don't think giving someone an island is going to achieve that goal.

Giving them their own island will not solve the long term issue... Yet, it offers them peace, safety, and growth opportunities all the while not putting other nations at risk.... The refugees need to go somewhere... Between the three options an island seems like a good idea...

I think most refugees are suffering from PTSD due to violence and war to make uncomfortably to be fit in military.

Back