unknow sign language

It depends on context, but you can use the sign for "regular", or the sign for "natural/normal".

Question:
What's sign for "Ordinary" ?

In the hearing culture, ordinary can mean and be referred to numerous words, such as for example:

1). Everyday
2). Natural
3). Normal
4). Traditional
5). Typical

So, just because you are not able to find a sign for that particular word you are trying to sign, there is always other references to mean what you want to SIGN.

The same rule applies in the deaf culture. For example, when we sign GOOD, it can mean another word than what you want to say, as the other person may take it a different way, but it'll be in the same context.

Hope this helped! :D

Question:

In the hearing culture, ordinary can mean and be referred to numerous words, such as for example:

1). Everyday
2). Natural
3). Normal
4). Traditional
5). Typical

So, just because you are not able to find a sign for that particular word you are trying to sign, there is always other references to mean what you want to SIGN.

The same rule applies in the deaf culture. For example, when we sign GOOD, it can mean another word than what you want to say, as the other person may take it a different way, but it'll be in the same context.

Hope this helped! :D

-------------------------------

Hello!

Thanks for the help!

Like If anybody who are deaf and asked me what does "ordinary" mean and I was like...If you see the red wood tree growing without water that is not an "ordinary" tree and the other trees dying with out water and the other trees are an " ________ "

I mean If i sign "ordinary" like normal in sign language does the word "ordinary" or "normal" word pop in their head when I mention "ordinary"

and THEN what's sign for an "Extraordinary"

-------------------------------

Hello!

Thanks for the help!

Like If anybody who are deaf and asked me what does "ordinary" mean and I was like...If you see the red wood tree growing without water that is not an "ordinary" tree and the other trees dying with out water and the other trees are an " ________ "

I mean If i sign "ordinary" like normal in sign language does the word "ordinary" or "normal" word pop in their head when I mention "ordinary"

and THEN what's sign for an "Extraordinary"
Native signers don't think in English. ASL natives with ESL might flip flop, but you think in one language then the other or mash them up a bit.

The closest thing for an English native new to sign to help understand that is if you've ever taken a foreign language then thought in that language. When I see something that is green, in German I think grün, not green. If I get thinking in German, I might flip to English when I hit a thought that I'm not clear on in German.

My grandparents were hilarious, they'd switch mid sentence, you could witness them switch ways of thinking.

So when I see something that's green and I'm thinking with ASL (something I'm not particularly good at yet) I see (know?) the sign for green.

Nic is absolutely right. If ASL is a second lanuage, you will need to learn how to shut off your brain's voice. Unless you are doing ASL-to-voice interpreting, don't think in English. In Nic's example, the color of grass is fingerspelled "G" wiggled in front of your dominant arm. In your example about the trees, I would choose to use the sign that are two "1" classifiers, dominant hand strikes the non-dominant hand twice. To distiguish a thing which is "not", just shake your head negatively and make the same sign.

ASL is a conceptual language. If you try to translate the voice in your head...you're signing like a hearing person (and not in a good way).

Nic is absolutely right. If ASL is a second lanuage, you will need to learn how to shut off your brain's voice. Unless you are doing ASL-to-voice interpreting, don't think in English. In Nic's example, the color of grass is fingerspelled "G" wiggled in front of your dominant arm. In your example about the trees, I would choose to use the sign that are two "1" classifiers, dominant hand strikes the non-dominant hand twice. To distiguish a thing which is "not", just shake your head negatively and make the same sign.

ASL is a conceptual language. If you try to translate the voice in your head...you're signing like a hearing person (and not in a good way).

Yeah, Did you mention that I am deaf? I am sure my grammar are obviously...anyhow.. I talk with my own brain and read alot of info on computer online "computer world" and commutation with a computer and i do talk with people not like deep conversation but surface and short that make me conversation with own brain deep and deeper in different world. The way i understanding myself in my own point of view in my language i assume that i am not a 100 % ASL I am not sure what kind of language i am use, probably like ASL and PSE...? I have not use sign language with the deaf people forever...I dont really understand..I keep question myself what deaf is...deaf is like people who cant hear but also a powerful language but there are not one deaf language. anyhow. I feel like the all deaf people who have different language like a different religions and culture...there are so many and complex.

I missed where you said you were deaf. Sorry about that. You absolutely know what I was trying to say.

The discussion about what it means to be Deaf is very interesting to me. I love what you said..."I feel like the all deaf people who have a different language like a different religions and culture...there are so many and complex." Sometimes a mind that relies only on a spoken language misses the entire point of language; our unique perspective and feelings embodied in concept.

What they said above me is all correct! As you learn and learn ASL, you'll be more acquainted with how the signing language structure and syancx works when communicating with a deaf person.

The word "Good" in ASL can be interpreted in many ways. It also depends on how you present the sign "Good" but that is just an example. There is hundreds of other words that can be used in different meanings with only using one word!

Kinda cool, huh? Hehe! :D

What they said above me is all correct! As you learn and learn ASL, you'll be more acquainted with how the signing language structure and syancx works when communicating with a deaf person.

The word "Good" in ASL can be interpreted in many ways. It also depends on how you present the sign "Good" but that is just an example. There is hundreds of other words that can be used in different meanings with only using one word!

Kinda cool, huh? Hehe! :D

It's interesting, and hopefully I won't upset you ,how all you hearing people are responding to greysaturn, who is deaf.

He asked a simple question, and not one that implied he wasn't a native signer...

And isn't it interesting how many native signers DID come to answer his question? Also looks like GreySaturn doesn't say he is deaf until the 8th post. But thanks for your help Bots.

I am, yes. So sorry for the late reply. Just now found the "Who Quoted Me" button, lol.! :D

That's ok. When I first came here I said something in a thread, and a year later realized there were a bunch of angry people giving opinions on my casual observation.

I figured just as well I didn't quite get how the forum worked then. :P

Maybe you can check it up on aslpro.com if they have dictionary of that word. If they do then they will show a sign!:)

ASLdictionaryHD on the App Store is my favorite electronic dictionary. It costs about $8, but it's fairly comprehensive.

Back