Understanding IP Relay?

FriendlyGuy

Reaction score
I am the only one not getting this? I am trying to understand this sort of service but I am so confused on a couple of items. Such as but not limited to "GA", "Q G A", "GA" and "SKSK" (seems to be at the end of messages).

Also why it it seems like the rep is YELLING at me? Or I am confusing the SHOUTING of the internet with this service that means something else in the service itself?

Yes I tried searching but I am so lost even there. :(

IP relay is basing their technology on TDD days.

In those days, all letters used to be upper case letters which they are continuing.

GA means "go ahead" It means that either you or other person is done talking and they can go ahead and talk now.
Reason for that is cause the TDD were not able to handle communication both ways so only one could type at a time so GA makes it easier to know when you can start talking.

SKSK means stop keying so in other words, it means I'm done talking, do you have anything to add? if not they will also type sksk to end conversation and hang up.

Q means ? on TDD. I take it they used Q cause it was easier and quicker on TDD than having to do ? if they had it at all.

Hope this clears up few things for you.

IP relay is basing their technology on TDD days.

In those days, all letters used to be upper case letters which they are continuing.

GA means "go ahead" It means that either you or other person is done talking and they can go ahead and talk now.
Reason for that is cause the TDD were not able to handle communication both ways so only one could type at a time so GA makes it easier to know when you can start talking.

SKSK means stop keying so in other words, it means I'm done talking, do you have anything to add? if not they will also type sksk to end conversation and hang up.

Q means ? on TDD. I take it they used Q cause it was easier and quicker on TDD than having to do ? if they had it at all.

Hope this clears up few things for you.

Awesome thanks you very much for helping me understanding all of this and quickly! I really appreciate that!

Back