U.S. Military Deaths In Iraq War Approaching 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teekie

New Member
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- The number of American troops who have died in Iraq since the war began last March is nearing 500, more than U.S. losses in many regional conflicts of the past several decades: the Gulf War, Lebanon, Somalia, Panama, Grenada, Kosovo and Afghanistan.

So far the Iraq conflict has cost the lives of 494 American service members, including nine who were killed Thursday in the crash of a Black hawk medivac helicopter believed shot down near Fallujah. Most of the deaths - both combat and non-combat - have occurred since president Bush declared an end to major fighting on May 1.

Already, the loss of American life in Iraq has surpassed the U.S. death toll of the first Gulf War of 1991, when about 315 Americans died in the operation to drive Saddam Hussein's forces from Kuwait. That figure includes combat and non-combat deaths suffered during the military buildup and the war itself.

Ninety-nine American forces have been killed in the ongoing operation in Afghanistan, less than a third of them by hostile fire.

The number of American battle deaths since the Iraq war began in March 20- at least 333 - is approaching the figure of 385 Americans killed in action during the Spanish-American war of 1898-1899.

U.S. officials dismiss most of the attacks by Iraqi insurgents as militarily insignificant, and the Bush administration strongly defends the U.S. role in Iraq. Bush said during a visit to London in November that the failure to build democracy in Iraq "would throw its people back into misery and turn that country over to terrorists who wish to destroy us."

Iraq casualty figures are small compared with the horrific bloodletting of some of America's past conflicts. About 19,000 American soldiers died in one month alone in the Battle of the Bulge in World War II, a conflict in which more than 290,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines were killed in action.

An estimated 620,000 Americans - both northerners and southerners - died in the Civil War, America's bloodiest conflict. More than 58,000 U.S. troops lost their lives in Vietnam, both in combat and from non-battle causes.

Nevertheless, the rising death toll after 10 months of military operations in Iraq is significant, especially in a country whose public traditionally has little appetite for their sons and daughters dying in battle in distant, unfamiliar lands.

The United States aborted its participation in an international peacekeeping operation in Somalia after 18 U.S. troops were killed in a battle in the capital, Mogadishu, with forces loyal to warlord Mohamed Farah Aidid.

Former President Ronald Reagan pulled U.S. peacekeepers out of Lebanon after a suicide truck bomber killed 241 Marines and other service members at Beirut's airport in 1983.

After U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War ended in 1973, U.S. presidents were loathe to commit American forces to protracted struggles in foreign lands without clear objectives and overwhelming chances for success.

However, U.S. antipathy to foreign military operations receded after a series of quick and relatively painless operations in places like Grenada in 1983 - with only 16 battle and non-combat deaths - and Panama in 1989, when 21 troops were killed.

The Gulf War introduced the public to precision, high-tech weaponry that could strike distant targets seemingly without significant risks to the pilots who fired them from thousands of yards away.

To a generation reared without memories of the close-quarter savagery of Vietnam, Korea and other distant battlefields of half-forgotten conflicts, war appeared to have been sanitized to a life-and-death computer game where the winner had the best gadgets.

In the Kosovo campaign of 1999, the United States and its NATO allies pounded Yugoslavia into submission with an aerial bombardment in which America lost not a single service member.

Afghanistan's Taliban rulers and their al-Qaida allies collapsed after about a month of fighting, with the Americans delivering precision bombs from the sky while their northern alliance Afghan allies did most of the ground fighting.

But the Iraq conflict has proven to be a different kind of war. Since the end of major combat, most American casualties have come from low-tech weaponry - roadside bombs, mortars and small arms fire.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2752558/detail.html
 

illustrator

New Member
VamPyroX said:
See? That's what you get for having Bush as our president! :fu2:
Is that so? we will have plenty air for us.

Seriously, if we spent too much peace without war. You know what would happen? More people grow worst for the tiny planet. Don't tell me this is plenty room for us. Pay attention to many certain environments are decrease.

Life and Death need a balance. I know it's dirty, but country got have to do. And people doing what they will do for the country. Ask the solider. Do he or she will die for country? Yes.

Plus, you should be sight happy because Nixon is one the worst who demand to sent lot lot soliders to there and die in Vietnam. Plus, more countries are coop in Iraq. That make much less effect on death.

500 death in Iraq is pretty smaller I ever know in 21st century.
 

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
illustrator said:
Is that so? we will have plenty air for us.

Seriously, if we spent too much peace without war. You know what would happen? More people grow worst for the tiny planet. Don't tell me this is plenty room for us. Pay attention to many certain environments are decrease.

Life and Death need a balance. I know it's dirty, but country got have to do. And people doing what they will do for the country. Ask the solider. Do he or she will die for country? Yes.

Plus, you should be sight happy because Nixon is one the worst who demand to sent lot lot soliders to there and die in Vietnam. Plus, more countries are coop in Iraq. That make much less effect on death.

500 death in Iraq is pretty smaller I ever know in 21st century.
In a way, I agree with you. However, it's his interference with other countries that's the concern. He spends our money just to change the way other countries run. Know what? If Bush had actually shut up and left Saddam alone, then there could have been a possibility that Saddam would nuke us. If he nuked us, he would have destroyed millions of us while we nuke him at the same time and destroy millions of them. Now, you were saying... we need balance? Well, doing what I just said would fix that balance a lot quicker! :thumb:
 

DeafSCUBA98

Active Member
VamPyroX said:
In a way, I agree with you. However, it's his interference with other countries that's the concern. He spends our money just to change the way other countries run. Know what? If Bush had actually shut up and left Saddam alone, then there could have been a possibility that Saddam would nuke us. If he nuked us, he would have destroyed millions of us while we nuke him at the same time and destroy millions of them. Now, you were saying... we need balance? Well, doing what I just said would fix that balance a lot quicker! :thumb:
are you saying like china's policy? having only 1 child per family? to control the life/death balance?
 

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
DeafSCUBA98 said:
are you saying like china's policy? having only 1 child per family? to control the life/death balance?
I have nothing wrong with how many children people have in their families. But, if we die... then we die. That's life.
 

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
DeafSCUBA98 said:
i'm wondering what's the total death toll right now?
NEW! Bush's Illegal Invasion UPDATE

(As of 2-24-04) The cost in American soldiers...

547 Total Died in Iraq

139 Died in the "war" (March 19 to May 1)

408 Died after the "war" ended (May 2nd)
Iraq had no WMD, wasn't linked to 9-11, and wasn't a threat to our national security to warrant justifying a war.

Bush lied and got 547 American soldiers killed. And conservatives couldn't be happier...

They'd rather have their sons and daughters come home in a box under a republican president, than come home alive with a democrat president.

Remember... WE support the troops. WE want them alive. THEY... want them to remain in Iraq... to die... for a lie


http://www.politicalstrikes.com/
 

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
An interesting statistic:

Since America's first war, the Revolution of 1776, until now, about one million Americans have died in all wars.

Since mass-produced automobiles hit the roads of America in 1913, more than 2.5 million Americans have died in auto accidents.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top