two deaf co workers in same dept./interpreter issues

pixiestix

Reaction score
Hi. I am deaf, and have a deaf co worker, in same dept, same team, but two completely different positions. She uses interpreters way more than I, I use interpreters for my one on one sessions with my supervisor which is every other week, weekly team meetings, on occassion some other meetings. This deaf co worker schedules the interpreters for her meetings (she has way more meetings than I do due to nature of her position) and for me. Often my one on one meetings is right before team meetings to save money on interpreters esp when they charge a minimum of two hours.

The question is: Sometimes the deaf co worker would "snatch" interpreters already scheduled for ME, my own one on one meetings for HER meetings that is scheduled at "last minute". This results in rescheduling my one on one meetings, or calling out to an outside agency for an interpreter, which I don't generally have an issue with. (We have our own contracted interpreters due to terminology signing reasons). Now she did it again for the team meeting she scheduled a meeting right before the team meeting last week, which she informed me and my supervisor that she would be late for the team meeting, by half hour. I had to use video phone at work for the 1st half of meeting.

I am concerned this will become habitual.

I don't think that is right for her to snatch interpreters scheduled for ME and my meetings. Isn't this some kind of violation of ADA law since that would be accommodating, then de-accommodating? She asks me to get my own interpreter, which is kinda difficult for me to do at times, and I think if she has to "snatch" interpreters for me, she should at least make some effort to find ANOTHER interpreter for HER or for me?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Have you expressed your concerns to your supervisor? Explain that a schedule needs to be kept in order to make things easy. By having your interpreter taken at the last minute forcing you to reschedule is costing your company additional money. If your co-worker's supervisor keeps doing last minute meetings, then it's time for a second interpreter.

From what you've said, it sounds like meetings are normal for your co-worker... to a point where a full-time interpreter could be beneficial for your co-worker and with you having your own interpreter.

Don't really understand the need of having personal interpreter. Not to insult interpreter, but they're not your hearing ear dog or friend. Yeah, it is better to have a friendly interpreter than not, but why is one so hooked up on one interpreter? If I was to need an interpreter, I'll be happy with any professional interpreters. Don't have to rely on any 1 interpreter. No need to snatch. Do that co worker know she is snatching interpreter right under your nose?

Don't really understand the need of having personal interpreter. Not to insult interpreter, but they're not your hearing ear dog or friend. Yeah, it is better to have a friendly interpreter than not, but why is one so hooked up on one interpreter? If I was to need an interpreter, I'll be happy with any professional interpreters. Don't have to rely on any 1 interpreter. No need to snatch. Do that co worker know she is snatching interpreter right under your nose?

Oh they are not "personal interpreters", they are professional, it may look that way to look like we have personal interpreters. The said co worker has a technical requirement for her meetings and wants same interpreters to be familiar with terminology and vocabulary. (in my opinion, whatever!) We have a contract with them. Yes, she knows she snatches them from me because she notifies me and my supervisor.

Now for a few days she is working at home and she apparently cancelled my interpreters by mistake and I ended up not having interpreters for MY meetings and my supervisor and I were NONE too pleased. We are going to be working on a solution. The co worker does not want to use an outside agency for interpreters, due to unfamiliar with terminology.. ok whatever. I have had to use interpreters from outside agency which I am comfortable with for all staff meeting which included a few terminology and the interpreter signed them just fine!!!!!

Have you expressed your concerns to your supervisor? Explain that a schedule needs to be kept in order to make things easy. By having your interpreter taken at the last minute forcing you to reschedule is costing your company additional money. If your co-worker's supervisor keeps doing last minute meetings, then it's time for a second interpreter.

From what you've said, it sounds like meetings are normal for your co-worker... to a point where a full-time interpreter could be beneficial for your co-worker and with you having your own interpreter.

I agree, and my supervisor will start not allowing this to happen again.

I don't think it's a "personal" interpreter. It's whatever interpreter that has been hired for pixiestix that is being "snatched" for the co-worker.

Sounds to me like the supervisors need to discuss the situation and if they can't work it out, then someone needs to inform their boss(es).

I agree that the co-worker needs to get his/her own interpreter when s/he needs one that isn't already scheduled for him/her, rather than take pixiestix's.

discuss with your boss for getting another interpreter due to the conflicted schedules between you and the other deaf co worker. Actually it's boss who needs to consider about your schedules and whos the other deaf co workers boss. I do not see why they dont get two interpreters? :confused:

discuss with your boss for getting another interpreter due to the conflicted schedules between you and the other deaf co worker. Actually it's boss who needs to consider about your schedules and whos the other deaf co workers boss. I do not see why they dont get two interpreters? :confused:

we have several interpreters, based on their availability, and sometimes use two interpreters for one meeting depending on the type and length of meeting. This is crazy!

Who is doing the scheduling of the interpreters? One person at the company should be doing all the scheduling so that it is coordinated. Usually it's someone in the HR department.

If you and your supervisors, and the other employee and her supervisors can agree to using one person to coordinate all interpreting scheduling, then that should reduce the conflicts.

The company should be responsible for the scheduling and hiring of terps. The Deaf employees shouldn't have to be burdened with that task. If you and your supervisors let the HR rep (or whomever) know your needs in a timely manner, then it's up to that person to resolve any scheduling conflicts. The Deaf employees shouldn't be making any direct contacts with the terps. The terp should report to the HR rep, and then follow the rep's orders as to the assignment.

This is the best arrangement for companies that have more than one deaf employee.

I don't think that is right for her to snatch interpreters scheduled for ME and my meetings. Isn't this some kind of violation of ADA law since that would be accommodating, then de-accommodating? She asks me to get my own interpreter, which is kinda difficult for me to do at times, and I think if she has to "snatch" interpreters for me, she should at least make some effort to find ANOTHER interpreter for HER or for me?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
I think she's crazy to say that. She can't own her interpreter, either.

I think the best solution is to have your boss to make an appt for you only so the interpreter service would have your name as a client. When a terp shows up at your appt and if your co-worker needs the terp, tell her that she must ask her boss to make an appt for herself and that you are the client since your name is on that appt so I am sure that the terp will agree with you.

i agree with crazypaul on that one and few others as well. Hope it work out soon for your sake at work.

I would talk with supervisor then boss/manager.

Reason, you are one who will get evaluation annual or semi-monthly report depend on your company.

Supervisor have think twice on her/his evlauation too. If other deaf get more interpreter that would be fair for your perform evaluation?

I don't think so.. get another interpreter because it can effect your perform if something is IMPORTANT then have to delay or without interpreter... so the "LAST minutes" need address that issue if no solution... get other interpreter

Back