Tv Channels Rebranding (or Change)

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you notice that some TV channels went thorough rebranding or changing?

MTV used to play all music video until early 1990s so they switched to reality and documentaries shows for older teen and young adults so 24/7 hours music video moved to MTV in 1996, but after 2003, MTV stopped playing music video during daytime so they switched to re-run older MTV programmings. Now, MTV is becoming similar to IFC by running movies, but still running original MTV programming, so MTV isn't popular now as in 1990s and 2000s. MTV 2 is becoming re-run of broadcast shows that you seen on CBS, NBC, ABC, WB/UPN (CW) and FOX, but still air MTV programmings on some slots.

Nick used to air kid games, such as Guts and Legends of the Hidden Temple in 1990s, but not anymore.

Nicktoons used to run all Nick animated shows from 90s like Doug, Rugrats, etc but all of them moved to Splat block now as Nicktoons are currently run 2000s and 2010s animated shows with some live action shows.

Disney Channel used to air a lot of classic cartoons and animated shows (Disney Afternoon), also they had Vault Disney (similar to Nick@Nite) until 2002, so Disney Channel abandoned nearly all animated shows after 2006 by moving to Toon Disney and becoming nearly all day of live action shows until 2014-2015, Disney completely abandoned animated shows by moved to XD so it is 100% live action shows, beside Disney Junior block in morning.

Toon Disney used to air all older Disney animated shows from 80s and 90s until 2004 so they added Jetix as separate block to air shows from Fox Kids, but after 2006, Jetix expanded to take 90% of Toon Disney slots until 2009 so Toon Disney and Jetix merged into XD, also they added live action shows that run about 10% to 50% of XD slots, depending on days, but Jetix used to air Power Rangers before transferred to Nick.

Boomerang used to air older animated shows from 1950s to 1980s until after 2010 so they added re-run of Cartoon Network (CN) programmings, probably 30% of Boomerang slot, but they still air Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo. CN used to air live action shows but they abandoned completely after 2014 to become 100% animated channel, beside Adult Swim (they air limited live action shows like Children Hospital).

TruTV (formerly Court TV) used to air mostly law enforcement shows, also they aired court sessions, also air drama shows like South Beach Towing, Operation Repo and Lizard Lick Towing until 2014 so they nearly abandoned all LEO shows as most of them moved to Spike TV. TruTV is just comedy channel now so I don't like it anymore, also they killed towing shows too.

HBO, Starz and Showtime are adding more original shows.

VH1 stopped air music video entirely.

CMT is becoming more reality shows - it is more like white version of BET, also of course, it is redneck channels.

Logo isn't LGBT channel anymore so they are becoming like Bravo, but one of gay show still running, anyway.

You can add if you notice any change with TV channels.

Last edited:
Spike TV used to air WWE and UFC, but not anymore, also Spike used to be TNN before.

TV Land used to air shows from 1950s to 1970s all day, but they cut back to morning and early afternoon under Classic, but they used to be 24 hours of Nick@Nite.

Fox Movie Channel used to air all older movies until 2012 so they switched to FXM to air movies that are 3-10 years old, but they still air classic movies from 2 am to 2 pm under Retro.

H2 (History 2) became Viceland to run the programming that is popular to young adults.

TBS, TNT and USA used to air children programmings in 1990s, but they stopped after CN became more popular.

ABC Family used to be family friendly, but not anymore after they rebrand to Freeform that is suitable to young adults, it is like Disney version of MTV, but they still air religious shows as required under older contract when Disney bought Family from Fox, but it was CBN owned before.

pretty good bet that just about every major cable and broadcast channel has changed in some format or another over the past 25 years. Before that it was pretty much the same 4 to 8 channels lol. VHF and UHF where I grew up- ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS (public television)... then the UHF.. only remember those by numbers as I think they were more local than national.

VH1 is becoming all black channel too - it was supposed to target mixed, older demographic than MTV but it didn't become successful now, unlike in 2000s.
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/vh1-and-black-viewers

I'm wonder about BET today because their rating is declining as many black people prefer to watch on VH1 instead.

Also, there are dozens of black channels from competitors as well, contributed to decline of rating with BET.

Also, Fuse used to air all rock, alternative and heavy metal music video until 2006 so many of them switched to mostly rap and pop so I stopped watching anymore.

I'm not fan of country music so I don't watch country music video, that why, so I can't find dedicated channel that air rock, alternative and heavy metal anymore after Fuse left out, also MTV left out in 2002.

VH1 Classic isn't true replacement since it is more concert-orientated, not much music video at all.

The History Channel basically shows no history related shows and most of their programming moved over to MHC and AHC. It's getting easier and easier to not watch TV all the time. AMC used to be commercial free during movies and then switched to airing commercials during movies and turned a two hour movie into a three to three and a half hour movie, that made it easier to go rent the movie or just not bother watching it.

The History Channel basically shows no history related shows and most of their programming moved over to MHC and AHC. It's getting easier and easier to not watch TV all the time. AMC used to be commercial free during movies and then switched to airing commercials during movies and turned a two hour movie into a three to three and a half hour movie, that made it easier to go rent the movie or just not bother watching it.

Yes, most of older History programmings are only available via History App online like iOS and Android after Disney killed H2.

Yes, I remember about AMC used to be commercial free, even same goes with IFC and Sudance too.

Interesting how the TV programming changes over the years.

Yes, most of older History programmings are only available via History App online like iOS and Android after Disney killed H2.

Yes, I remember about AMC used to be commercial free, even same goes with IFC and Sudance too.
It's kinda funny that they still call themselves the History Channel, since very little history is shown on it. Pawn Stars, American Pickers and others on it are clearly staged and previewed way before filming begins. Perhaps they could change their name to the Staged,Previewed and Almost Real Channel or call themselves We Used to be the History Channel.

It's kinda funny that they still call themselves the History Channel, since very little history is shown on it. Pawn Stars, American Pickers and others on it are clearly staged and previewed way before filming begins. Perhaps they could change their name to the Staged,Previewed and Almost Real Channel or call themselves We Used to be the History Channel.

I know about what you means - Disney rebranded the History Channel after new original programming improve the rating so they pushed most of older historical shows out, also they use H2 as dumping ground until they sold to Vice.

Back