Turning HA off..

chris' mom

Reaction score
Chris recently had his HA reprogrammed and now I have noticed that he's turning them off all the time. I keep checking and turning them back on. Is this okay for him to do or should I force him to leave them one,,if so how? I guess I could be happy that he is finally leaving them in instead of taken the off..

thanks,

Chris recently had his HA reprogrammed and now I have noticed that he's turning them off all the time. I keep checking and turning them back on. Is this okay for him to do or should I force him to leave them one,,if so how? I guess I could be happy that he is finally leaving them in instead of taken the off..

thanks,

what's his reason for turning them off? sounds like he's experiencing a great discomfort with it. perhaps he really wants to choose to be 100% deaf... and it's not a bad thing!

He use to come to us (me and his teachers) to tell us too loud. So I took him back to the Audi and her turn the volumn down (since it's child proof lol) and according to her it shouldn't be too loud. Personally I don't see if he chooses to be 100% deaf. But he's only moderatly deaf and everyone tells me how important it is for him to learn verbal since he's only 4 it's very important for him to wear them. I'm worried that if I don't make him wear them his dad will take me back to court for neglect.

He use to come to us (me and his teachers) to tell us too loud. So I took him back to the Audi and her turn the volumn down (since it's child proof lol) and according to her it shouldn't be too loud. Personally I don't see if he chooses to be 100% deaf. But he's only moderatly deaf and everyone tells me how important it is for him to learn verbal since he's only 4 it's very important for him to wear them.
lot of deafies choose to remain 100% deaf even though they can use HA but HA causes more trouble & headache than benefit. JClarke is one of them. I cannot remember who else... I'm guessing shel?? It's just something to think about though... and respecting your son's choice.

I'm worried that if I don't make him wear them his dad will take me back to court for neglect.
oh god... :roll:

Lori,

Have Chris wear his hearing aids for a few hours at a time and then allow him to take them off for awhile so he can take a break. Then slowly and gradually build up the time we wears his aids (adding an hour each day) until he is able to wear them from the time he wakes up in the morning until he goes to bed at night.

Thank you for that advise. Today when I did notice it was off I just acted like I didn't notice. Atleast he leaves them in that way he's use to wearing them. It's just a hard line to follow, do I make him have them on or not. When he went 2 weeks without them b/c we were waiting on new ear mold I didn't force him to wear them all the time cause I wanted him to get use to them again. It's just all of a sudden he's starting to turn them off.

Lori,

I can't remember how old Chris is, but does he understand that his hearing aids help him hear? I know you're teaching him ASL (which I think is great!), but does he know that the purpose of his hearing aids are to allow him to understand some speech and hear environmental sounds? I would encourage you to have Chris wear his aids for a few hours at a time while gradually increasing the total number of hours he keeps them on by an hour/day. This is the advice my first audi gave me when I started wearing hearing aids in 1985.

Back