TSA Tells Woman to Leave Insulin Pump At Home

yizuman

Reaction score
TSA to Traveler: Next Time, Leave Your Insulin Pump at Home?

Woman complains about TSA screening at local airport.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010

As we hear from more outraged air travelers about the humiliating procedures they're being forced to endure to pass through airport security checkpoints, comes this doozy out of Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International Airport.

A woman called the South Florida's First News Show on radio station 610am WIOD, this morning (Wed. 11-17-10), horrified about what her daughter had been put through.

The call was with the woman, named Jackie, speaking with 610am WIOD host Jimmy Cefalo & Manny Munoz.

"She is an insuline depended diabetic who has an isuline pump. She travels regularly in the airport. Today, about 25 minutes ago, she was..the alarm went off she told them she had an insuline pump, they physically groped her, went down her pants, her thighs, and advised her not to wear the insuline pump any more going through security. They advised her to take it off in the future if she didn't want to be groped. She was so upset she called me after she got through security hysterically crying"

Fort Lauderdale Airport officials say no formal complaint was filed so they are unaware if the alleged incident ever took place.

Source: WIOD NewsRadio 610 - News | Traffic | Weather - 24

Yiz

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

I smell lawsuit.

:roll:

TSA's checkpoint security screening procedures for persons with disabilities and medical conditions have not changed as a result of the current threat situation. All disability-related equipment, aids, and devices continue to be allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening.

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements.
However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening.

For more information on these measures, please read our letter outlining this policy -- Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (pdf, 101Kb)

Ad Council Video
Click here to see our video on self select lanes.
Disability-related items permitted through the security checkpoint include:

Wheelchairs
Scooters
Crutches
Canes
Walkers
Prosthetic devices
Casts
Support braces
Support appliances
Service animals
Baby apnea monitors
Orthopedic shoes
Exterior medical devices
Assistive/adaptive equipment
Augmentation devices
Ostomy supplies
CPAP machines & respirators
Hearing aids
Cochlear implants
Tools for wheelchair disassembly/reassembly
Personal supplemental oxygen
CO2 personal oxygen concentrators
Tools for prosthetic devices
Medications and associated supplies
Braille note takers
Slate and stylus
All diabetes related medication, equipment, and supplies
Any other disability-related equipment and associated supplies

TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

It doesn't necessarily mean that all TSA Agents can read nor thoroughly 100% trained. There's bound to be some idiots that slips through the cracks every now and then.

Yiz

It doesn't necessarily mean that all TSA Agents can read nor thoroughly 100% trained. There's bound to be some idiots that slips through the cracks every now and then.

Yiz

Then be a trained or informed passenger..... Every time I go through security I alert them to my hearing aid....... 100% of the time they have said leave it in.....Yet there might be that one guy.

Mostly tsa worker have no excuse force people who have diabete or whatever as disability but tsa worker always look include gun,knives whatever if you not use carry it's serious!!

Tsa workers can't force airport passengers remove as diabetes or whatever..

My family have history diabetes include my great-grandma,my grandma,my step-dad,my dad and my uncle had past..

My late grandma also have insulin all the time

Back