Trying to help through design

Speak for yourself! All is not right as not everyone is bothered by the use of "hearing impaired"! In fact, some of us even use it to describe ourselves. The only thing I can think of is that you were referring to those that are part of the Deaf Culture and forgetting those that are not even if they are deaf or hard of hearing.
OMG, I think someone forgot a comma! "forgetting those that are not" <COMMA> "even if they are deaf or hard of hearing".

I was referring to those people that are physically deaf or hard of hearing but not part of Deaf Culture.

Being part of Deaf Culture and the actual "medical" issue of 'hearing loss' are not the same thing. No matter where the person 'belongs'- be it in Deaf Culture, hearing world, some cult or living solo on some island- the person is deaf or hard of hearing. "Hearing Impaired" is an Umbrella term. There's nothing wrong with d/Deaf & HOH because those two terms DO encompass everyone with some degree of hearing loss and IS more descriptive than plain hearing impaired.

Like LB I don't care if you use Hearing Impaired or whatever so why is it that you are nitpicking AC for saying so? You are zooming into a word (all) as a literal sense. I've heard that word used in so many ways that doesn't literally mean every single person out there... like Y'all- it's only referring to 1 or more person in the vicinity/location (IRL or online)- it's not referring to the whole damned world.

Sure the guy can use hearing impaired but some of us are just pointing out the benefits of using deaf/HOH.

I think using hearing impared might work for some, but it could also lose him customers if they do have a problem with the term. It would be safer for him too find another way to say it.

I apologise for the spelling mistakes, I made that graphic really quick to convey an idea and clearly didn't spell check.
I've gained a lot from the replies here and really appreciate all of the comments.

If this device included all the features that have been discussed such as:
  • Connectivity to a phone
  • Connectivity to an external mic
  • Selection of who you want to have a convo with
  • A prescription lense
would it be beneficial? something you would buy? and any other thoughts?

thanks

I would likely buy it if it comes in a prescription lens of some sort but that would probably cost more than the "plain" glasses. Some kind of overlay- if that's even possible would work- sort of like the 'clip on' sunglasses. If that happens I'd have 3 pairs of glasses lol- the regular pair, sunglasses and the 'enhanced' pair :).

But-- if the price is right I would consider it (my Rx is trifocal- a single Rx would work best probably for your idea).

Just picked this thread up again after a week away and am now worried :))): I have a novel out (called "Counting the Clouds") with a hero who has auditory neuropathy and I'm wondering if I've used any inappropriate terms...
But, to stay on the topic, Ryan, my first question would be: have you done a patent/IP search to see who else might be working on this? Having the good idea is generally the easy bit. Finding a commercial route to a product may involve steering round other developments in the field, and you are working in a very popular area.

Back