Truck died

sonocativo

Reaction score
Last night sitting in traffic my truck started bogging and died. it starts but wont run. Low idle and dies continuosly. Try to give it gas...dead. I believe its the fuel pump, tow guy thinks its the catalyc converter? I am not getting any service engine lights on the dash or anything popping up on the little screen other than oil change is due, but all fluid levels are good, im lost? Supposed to go camping this weekend and now no choice but a rental car ????

Both are possible. Find the fuel line under the hood. Somewhere near the intake there should be a fuel pressure release valve. Try starting it and then depress the valve and see if there is pressure. Just dont get squirted in the eye.

Cats clogg some times. Open up the exhaust anywhere ahead of the cat and it should run if that is your problem.

Might check your fuel filter too.

Plugged cat dosn't always throw a code. Exact symptoms happened to my brothers truck so we put a fuel pump in it and it ended up being the cat. Egg on my face for not checking.

I didnt think about the filter, but they are going to pressure check it first and go from there. I did check and it squirted a bit . Just funny as I just got off the highway, went in the store, came out pulled into the drive through and it started bogging and died, starts right back up but erradic idle and dies, try to give gas...it dies.
I started it this morning, got it to rev a bit, then same thing...died.....
on a bright note, the jeep runs, they are finishing it up today ( putting hood and stuff back on.

If you got it to rev at all I'll bet it's the cat but once in a while you'll get an erratic pump. Sounds like it's jeep'n time!

when, and is the funeral service?

If its bad cat, its easy to tell, you will smell rotten eggs either when cat is new, in break in, or its at end of its life. I don't think it can stall and kill motor

well heres the scoop... Bad fuel pump on the truck so replacing the pump and filter at right around $800 OUCH was only pushing 10psi where it should be between 45-60psi

I also got the jeep back today, runs and drives smooth as silk, purrs like a kitten, drives straight as an arrow. Getting windshield replaced and ready for inspections next week. Hope to get truck back saturday morning, I wanted to go camping.

well heres the scoop... Bad fuel pump on the truck so replacing the pump and filter at right around $800 OUCH was only pushing 10psi where it should be between 45-60psi

I also got the jeep back today, runs and drives smooth as silk, purrs like a kitten, drives straight as an arrow. Getting windshield replaced and ready for inspections next week. Hope to get truck back Saturday morning, I wanted to go camping.

I don't remember. What is the problem that makes it necessary to replace the windshield?

Any chance of getting the truck back early enough Saturday morning to still go camping?

Fuel pump is an ouch to the wallet. Fuel pump lives in your fuel tank and you got to take down the tank to get it out and put a new one in.

Fuel pump is an ouch to the wallet. Fuel pump lives in your fuel tank and you got to take down the tank to get it out and put a new one in.
They just take the bed off and service from the top, easier and faster. I did my 97 Ram, but I no longer have the tools to do it, besides the shop got a lift and all, so wont take long. I did mine in the dead of winter while snowing, had 4 guys lift the bed and set in on saw horses then pop it back on, the air tools made it a snap to bolt and un bolt.... a rachet will take me forever in a day.

I don't remember. What is the problem that makes it necessary to replace the windshield?

Any chance of getting the truck back early enough Saturday morning to still go camping?

New law, safety inspection will not pass with a cracked windshield anymore ( due to some stations letting them slide , now they wont allow ANY cracked windshield pass no matter how small the crack is ) but this one is completely across the field of view anyways, so getting replaced.

Piece of cake for you to work on all over... lol

87-GMC-Truck-With-Lift-Bed.jpg

They just take the bed off and service from the top, easier and faster. I did my 97 Ram, but I no longer have the tools to do it, besides the shop got a lift and all, so wont take long. I did mine in the dead of winter while snowing, had 4 guys lift the bed and set in on saw horses then pop it back on, the air tools made it a snap to bolt and un bolt.... a rachet will take me forever in a day.

New law, safety inspection will not pass with a cracked windshield anymore ( due to some stations letting them slide , now they wont allow ANY cracked windshield pass no matter how small the crack is ) but this one is completely across the field of view anyways, so getting replaced.

What about chip on windshield?

Alabama doesn't have car safety inspection anymore after shut down in 1960s.

What about chip on windshield?

Alabama doesn't have car safety inspection anymore after shut down in 1960s.

Chips, bulls eyes... those little marks no, but if it is a crack it will spread across vertically or horizontally or even both so a "crack" is not allowed anywhere on the windshield, even if it is 1" long... just hit it and watch it spread.

Check the sock on the fuel pump and see if it's clogged with sludge. A friends chevy truck had the same symptoms and when he pulled the pump out the sock was clogged, once he cleaned it, the pump worked like new.

Check the sock on the fuel pump and see if it's clogged with sludge. A friends chevy truck had the same symptoms and when he pulled the pump out the sock was clogged, once he cleaned it, the pump worked like new.

They will, these guys are great with what they do, I actually got $600 back today after they completed the motor in the jeep... well, thats going towards the truck repairs now, but unless they find something simple like that, it will seal the fate. They said they are surprised being the truck is a 2000 with the original pump in it with 275000 miles on the clock.
I have to admit, I ran the tank dry a few times, pushing it to make it to a cheaper station for gas, well, wont do that anymore...lol

Plugged cat dosn't always throw a code. Exact symptoms happened to my brothers truck so we put a fuel pump in it and it ended up being the cat. Egg on my face for not checking.

You should inspect them with fuel pressure tester and exhaust back pressure tester. Always test them first before buy the parts.

We don't have vehicle inspections in SC but we do have free (no deductible, no penalty) glass repair thru our insurance, so whenever we get chips, cracks, or too much pitting, we get new windshields. When my driver's side Jeep window shattered on me, replacing that was also free.

Because of bad road conditions here, we've had new windshields on all our vehicles, several times.

Chevy truck? I recall you mentioned it last time. What year? Engine size? Suggest you to spray carburetor cleaner into the throttle, start the engine to see what happens... If it runs then quit that indicates fuel pump. No Check Engine light? Ummm, I guess your truck is pre-OBD-II

Back