Troy Davis put to death

I do notice that no one other than Rolling 7 is saying a word about the man who was executed in Texas, for dragging a man to death.

Personally I have no problem with the death penalty being applied in that case. He was clearly guilty and it was a horrendous thing to do.

The Troy Davis case seemed much more ambiguous, especially since so many of the witnesses later recanted their testimony.

I am completely opposed to the death penalty in any circumstance. My stand is well known on this forum. It is the vestige of an uncivilized and vengeful society.

I am completely opposed to the death penalty in any circumstance. My stand is well known on this forum. It is the vestige of an uncivilized and vengeful society.

Agreed, I feel that we are not entitled to execute people for their wrongdoings. I am fully in favour of incarnation and rehabilitation for the convicts. Otherwise, we are nothing but a barbaric society.

What does that have to with the possibly an innocent man was killed!

Exactly. I'm disgusted at both this miscarriage of Justice and at people who cheer at the idea of men dying by the chair or lethal injection or other means of death regardless of their guilt.

I am from Georgia and a native and this breaks my heart too.
now, I do support the death penalty provided that it's used for the most offensive of crimes, serial killers, serial child molestors who kill their victims, sadistic individuals in general. A cop killer, or drug dealer provided they did not kill scores of people and only delt the product..no. I reserve the death penalty for those who have commited unspeakable crimes against others. I do think there needs to be better investigations, more evidence " actual evidence" presented and in general harassing a witness to the point they admit although it's not true that they saw this person do this or that...it needs to stop and it can stop at the local PD level provided that the corrupt bad apples in law enforcement are weeded out. My brother is a 27 year vetern officer and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him. This puts all police officers to shame if they did this or not, even a rumor of it is enough to break the publics trust.
Police officers get a bad rap but what people dont' realize is that not all officers are corrupt. My brother isn't. I know many officers personally that are good officers.
what happened to troy davis is sad but it was preventable.

The entire state of Georgia ought to be ashamed of itself. You're a bunch of backward racists, and you've been dragging this country down for years.

RIP, Troy Davis. He probably did plenty of bad things in his life, but he certainly didn't deserve to die.

What does that have to with the possibly an innocent man was killed!

ALL possibilities were explored. He was given stay, after stay, after stay. One court upheld the sentence, then a second independent court upheld it, all the way to the Supreme Court which upheld it. Ever heard of Double Jeopardy? The state gets one, AND ONLY ONE, try. This guy got so many, many trys and the taxpayers got got the bill.

ALL possibilities were explored. He was given stay, after stay, after stay. One court upheld the sentence, then a second independent court upheld it, all the way to the Supreme Court which upheld it. Ever heard of Double Jeopardy? The state gets one, AND ONLY ONE, try. This guy got so many, many trys and the taxpayers got got the bill.

Yes, and if he had been white, he would have been off after the first stay.

yes... but not for cop killer. that's the problem.

when it comes to cop killer... justice is served blindly and discriminately. you know it. admit it. your state has been doing it for years.

The entire state of Georgia ought to be ashamed of itself. You're a bunch of backward racists, and you've been dragging this country down for years.

RIP, Troy Davis. He probably did plenty of bad things in his life, but he certainly didn't deserve to die.

Did I say anything about troy davis deserving to die? I find it highly offensive that you pretty much just called me a racist. I am not some bumf*** hillbilly who lives in the mountains with no teeth and without a proper education that feels that due to being white all blacks are worthless. Just because I'm from the south it doesn't automatically mean I'm a racist. We've been dragging down this country for years? How so? Look dude, to single out an entire state due to the actions of a few is just wrong. There are many of us in GA who feel the same as you do-that this man did not deserve to die. I actually loathe the red-necks around here to like to fly their little rebel flag and live in trailers...those are the ones that are the problem NOT the city dwellers who were raised to treat everyone as an equal.

how dare you compare me to those hillbilly scum.

Did I say anything about troy davis deserving to die? I find it highly offensive that you pretty much just called me a racist. I am not some bumf*** hillbilly who lives in the mountains with no teeth and without a proper education that feels that due to being white all blacks are worthless. Just because I'm from the south it doesn't automatically mean I'm a racist. We've been dragging down this country for years? How so? Look dude, to single out an entire state due to the actions of a few is just wrong. There are many of us in GA who feel the same as you do-that this man did not deserve to die. I actually loathe the red-necks around here to like to fly their little rebel flag and live in trailers...those are the ones that are the problem NOT the city dwellers who were raised to treat everyone as an equal.

too bad most of Georgians is not as progressive and compassionate as you.

The worst of the racism and legal inequities based on race don't come from the hillbillies. We all know what to expect from them. They are very overt about it. The worst effects are coming from the educated and elite that refuse to take the time to look at the ways they support social policies that are racist in nature.

btw Jaspheth - TheWriteAlex never said anything about hillybilly nor associated Georgians as inbred hillybilly. He only said that they're bunch of backward racists. It's the truth that even as modern as they are... they still hold backward racist attitude stemmed from hundreds years ago - either overtly or subconsciously

too bad most of Georgians is not as progressive as you.

I live in a very affluent area and most around here are. Georgia is a seperated state, that's obvious. If you go outside of where I live and it's a rather large metro area-marietta to be specific and go either north or south below atlanta you will find some of the most vile racist people. It needs to stop. It needs to change.

I married a man who is half white half pakistani and you would not believe the hateful stares we get in public. It's sad that I grew up in a state with these backward views but hey what can I do about it except treat others as they would want to be treated?

Am I embarrassed to be from Georgia? I was when Troy Davis was executed but to put the entire state under a microscope and pass judgements is wrong. Just as wrong as it was to execute this man who was more than likely innocent. Judge not lest ye be judged eh?

I live in a very affluent area and most around here are. Georgia is a seperated state, that's obvious. If you go outside of where I live and it's a rather large metro area-marietta to be specific and go either north or south below atlanta you will find some of the most vile racist people. It needs to stop. It needs to change.

I married a man who is half white half pakistani and you would not believe the hateful stares we get in public. It's sad that I grew up in a state with these backward views but hey what can I do about it except treat others as they would want to be treated?

Am I embarrassed to be from Georgia? I was when Troy Davis was executed but to put the entire state under a microscope and pass judgements is wrong. Just as wrong as it was to execute this man who was more than likely innocent. Judge not lest ye be judged eh?

I daresay I could find volumes of vile racism in the most affluent areas of Atlanta.

now you understand what TheWriteAlex is saying. I know what you're talking about because I've driven thru Georgia several months ago and I did feel that I was unwelcome at gas station. Couldn't waited to get outta out Georgia. The only great thing I like about Georgia is its Atlanta airport.

btw Jaspheth - TheWriteAlex never said anything about hillybilly nor associated Georgians as inbred hillybilly. He only said that they're bunch of backward racists. It's the truth that even as modern as they are... they still hold backward racist attitude stemmed from hundreds years ago - either overtly or subconsciously

Well, as a native typically when someone say's we're backwards that is what they are referring to.
I've had to deal with a lot of out of state people who just don't understand that those of us in the city are not...we're not inbred :)

I do agree that for the most part yes there are some parts of georgia that still hold racist attitudes. My fathers mother was one actually and because of my husband being half white half pakistani it was suggested he not meet her...when the older folks die off I'm hoping that some of the attitudes will dissipate but sadly it's passed down from family to family.

no offense to anyone but I do have a lot of southern pride and am proud to be a southern belle...
a big button was pushed...

now you understand what TheWriteAlex is saying. I know what you're talking about because I've driven thru Georgia several months ago and I did feel that I was unwelcome at gas station. Couldn't waited to get outta out Georgia. The only great thing I like about Georgia is its Atlanta airport.

I do...I've seen it with my own eyes and been a part of it sadly because of my husband.
it's pathetic.
I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience.

I had a speech therapist that was a hillbilly , she put herself through collage , she had all her teeth! She was a great speech therapist and was not a scum! I had her at a private school in Boston, Ma.

Back