Troopers say man tried to hide license plate to get through tolls

rockin'robin

Reaction score
ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Now you see it, now you don't!

A gutsy driver was pulled over after trying to block his plate while going through a toll plaza, on Wednesday. He used a device that rolls a black sheet across his license plate with the push of a button. It even had the Florida Highway Patrol doing a double-take.

“We've seen people hang out the back of cars to put their hand over it, we've seen motorcycles take different routes through the express lanes to avoid the camera, people intentionally cover their tags, semi trucks block their tags,” says Sgt. Kim Montes with the FHP.

Obviously, if the toll camera can't see your tag, the state can’t send you the bill. Troopers say Joshua Concepcion West could've gotten away with it, if he hadn’t used the device while driving right in front of a trooper, who busted him.

“He was subsequently arrested for petty theft and also for cheating,” Sgt. Montes says.

Cheating is a third-degree felony. “So for $1.25 toll, he now has a felony charge,” Montes explains, “we want to let people know it's not worth it, pay the toll or don't use the road.”

http://www.fox13news.com/news/florida-news/228923786-story

Clever guy...all that trouble just to avoid a $1.25 toll?...Bet this guy has done other "crimes" as well.

One guy used to wheelie his motorcycle to avoid the toll in Washington. Genius

Drivers tried a mannequin for carpool and got fined for it. lol..

What about skyrocketing of gas tax? Florida won't have toll roads anymore if they upped the gas tax by 50 cents or more.

I do remember reading about women who work nights having a mannequin in the passenger seat.....a co-worker had one!...She said she felt more safe driving home from work at night....

Many years ago a couple owned a lumber yard here and were getting a mannequin to use in a window display. She sat it in the front seat to bring it here.

Why not try change the tag to finger spelling...... nothing illegal about it!!!!

This has been going on for years in the SF Bay Area; one guy when finally caught owed something like $4.000 in back tolls and that didn't even include the added fines. Others were using a clear coat over their plates that kept them from showing up on the camera's at the toll plaza's.

This has been going on for years in the SF Bay Area; one guy when finally caught owed something like $4.000 in back tolls and that didn't even include the added fines. Others were using a clear coat over their plates that kept them from showing up on the camera's at the toll plaza's.
That clear coat isn't a clear coat, it is a clear reflective coat so when the camera flashes it just makes a big white spot due to the flash reflecting and washes out the plate in a white light, due to it being reflective, it reflects light so...at night, headlights shining on it is like a reflector on a bike and cops will pull you over and ticket you for it. They made a reflective plate cover too that did the same thing, looks normal during the day but at night its a whole new game. Cops loved those to get out ticket quotas for the month. But now that red light cameras are in constitutional and no longer in use ( here anyways) don't see much of it anymore.
http://www.phantomplate.com/reflector.html
http://licenseplatespray.info/
pb.jpg pb2.jpg

That clear coat isn't a clear coat, it is a clear reflective coat so when the camera flashes it just makes a big white spot due to the flash reflecting and washes out the plate in a white light, due to it being reflective, it reflects light so...at night, headlights shining on it is like a reflector on a bike and cops will pull you over and ticket you for it. They made a reflective plate cover too that did the same thing, looks normal during the day but at night its a whole new game. Cops loved those to get out ticket quotas for the month. But now that red light cameras are in constitutional and no longer in use ( here anyways) don't see much of it anymore.
http://www.phantomplate.com/reflector.html
http://licenseplatespray.info/
View attachment 23742 View attachment 23743
The other thing toll cheats have been doing is they have been keeping the dealer cardboard plates on their cars for years and only putting on the real plates if they get a fix it ticket, however this is going to end in CA because starting 2019, new cars will get the temporary plate while they wait for their permanent plate to arrive in the mail when they buy a new car. The neighbors brother who lives next to my parents house did gardening on the weekends and kept his dealer advertising plates on his truck for over four years so he could dump his yard waste where ever he wanted without fear of getting caught. That is until he dumped his yard waste in front of my parents house and was stupid enough to come back with another load while the SJPD was at my parents house. He got nailed with two illegal dump citations that cost him over three grand and the cop was going to impound the truck for failure to have license plates, but he decided just to right him up for that infraction too! Next time I saw the truck the real plates were on the vehicle and I think he was taking his debris to the dump!

The other thing toll cheats have been doing is they have been keeping the dealer cardboard plates on their cars for years and only putting on the real plates if they get a fix it ticket, however this is going to end in CA because starting 2019, new cars will get the temporary plate while they wait for their permanent plate to arrive in the mail when they buy a new car. The neighbors brother who lives next to my parents house did gardening on the weekends and kept his dealer advertising plates on his truck for over four years so he could dump his yard waste where ever he wanted without fear of getting caught. That is until he dumped his yard waste in front of my parents house and was stupid enough to come back with another load while the SJPD was at my parents house. He got nailed with two illegal dump citations that cost him over three grand and the cop was going to impound the truck for failure to have license plates, but he decided just to right him up for that infraction too! Next time I saw the truck the real plates were on the vehicle and I think he was taking his debris to the dump!

Not for all.... some states only issue one plate and its for the front of the vehicles (Texas) and here in Missouri if you have a truck and pull a trailer, you only get one plate for the front as well..... so it doesn't fix out of towners traveling. Its solely based on honesty and morals. just about every highway is a toll road in Texas, Most major highways through Kansas are tolls to get to any towns or city... it sucks traveling some places. Only odd toll booths Ive ever seen was coming back from Texas, drove through Oklahoma paid a toll when leaving Oklahoma into Missouri then stop as you come into Missouri at another toll about 50 feet and they give you your money back???? I never understood why those 2 toll booths even exist??? lol
Take from Peter to pay Paul? Indian Takers?

Not for all.... some states only issue one plate and its for the front of the vehicles (Texas) and here in Missouri if you have a truck and pull a trailer, you only get one plate for the front as well..... so it doesn't fix out of towners traveling. Its solely based on honesty and morals. just about every highway is a toll road in Texas, Most major highways through Kansas are tolls to get to any towns or city... it sucks traveling some places. Only odd toll booths Ive ever seen was coming back from Texas, drove through Oklahoma paid a toll when leaving Oklahoma into Missouri then stop as you come into Missouri at another toll about 50 feet and they give you your money back???? I never understood why those 2 toll booths even exist??? lol

I think back in 1950s, two plates were require in nearly all states.

Alabama got away with two plates in 1962 and Georgia got away in 1970s.

Just found - http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/06/alabama_license_plate_historia.html

Last edited:
In SC, we have just one plate and that's on the back. We don't have any toll booths. Tags aren't required for trailers but if we do get tags for the trailers, it's just one for the back of the trailer.

In CA all cars, passenger trucks and vans are sent two plates: one for the front and one for the back and they must be mounted on the car, although they don't enforce it in many places, but if they pull you over for a plate violation, you have 10 days to get it on your car and get it signed off. Semi's, motorcycles and trailers are sent one plate, with motorcycles and trailers having to mount them on the rear and semi's plate is mounted to the front.

California is slowly getting toll roads that are privately financed as well as HOV lanes, but there isn't many of them. I've driven in the Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth areas and never driven on a toll road. New York State has a fair amount of toll roads and they take it one step further, they time you between toll booths and if you get to the next one too fast you not only pay the toll, but are given a speeding ticket as well.

In CA all cars, passenger trucks and vans are sent two plates: one for the front and one for the back and they must be mounted on the car, although they don't enforce it in many places, but if they pull you over for a plate violation, you have 10 days to get it on your car and get it signed off. Semi's, motorcycles and trailers are sent one plate, with motorcycles and trailers having to mount them on the rear and semi's plate is mounted to the front.

California is slowly getting toll roads that are privately financed as well as HOV lanes, but there isn't many of them. I've driven in the Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth areas and never driven on a toll road. New York State has a fair amount of toll roads and they take it one step further, they time you between toll booths and if you get to the next one too fast you not only pay the toll, but are given a speeding ticket as well.

I think that Bay Area has a lot of toll roads to bridges, but I heard that bikers can ride for free. :hmm:

Back