Tribute to "The Hearies"

geoff

Reaction score
I was just reading and actually contributed to a thread called "What Ticks You Off". And its things that hearies do that are insensitive, misguided, mean or just plain ignorant. I love the thread because I myself have dealt with plenty of that for over 35 years now. I have never known anyone in the Deaf culture. In public school, all my life I was the only HOH kid. Every job I have everywhere I go. Been kind of lonely sometimes. That`s why I joined this forum to have a group to talk shop with. Now I`m relatively new here but can we have a thread that talks about the Hearies that have helped, understood, supported and even inspired us? In a world where there is so much hate, racism, division, and separation, let`s not be another group who doesn`t acknowledge the other side.If you honestly feel that no one who can hear has ever understood you or had it in their heart to try to understand you then I`m sorry. Feel free to not post anything here. But I cannot say I am the man whom I am today without some wonderful people who can hear. First off my mother. She would never let me use my hearing as an excuse. She knew what I was capable and incapable of. She knew the world would be a bit tougher on me so she taught me how to fight. She taught me not to let anyone beat me down and to instead look them in the eye and say "%*!@ you" and prove them wrong. Second my wife. She taught me that I`m 100% a man and that I can love myself because there are so many people that love me for who am. She builds up my strengths and shows me that what I thought were weaknesses were only insecurities. I`m so proud to have her on my arm. Never would I have thought a guy like me could get a girl like her. I know she`s out of my league and that makes me feel 100 feet tall. Finally my son. I`m his hero. I`m his mentor. I`m his best friend. When he draws pictures of me he draws them with hearing aids. He`s not embarrassed and he always helps me out in public. He orders for me at the drive through, and he even wrote a story about my upcoming CI where I am a cyborg super hero.There are several other I`d like to acknowledge and if this post takes off I will share, but let`s get the ball rolling without me rambling to much. I used to feel alone being the only HOH guy I knew. But now I realize that was just foolish. I am so blessed. So please. Who are the Hearies that you admire?

It is interesting to me, that so many will gripe freely and happily, yet you post such a nice thread... I would list you, but you are not hearie... Thus, I too will say my mom... She knows I can read lips and talk, but she never fails to show up at my house will a stack of note pads and a pack of pens... Bless her heart, but she tries to learn sign, but she cannot...and for a woman that does not cuss accidently says some bad things (but I cannot tell her lol)... My uncle who has no hope of being around a deafie... Is trying to also learn sign and even has worked on learning how to write in sign... My manager who works to ensure that I do not get written off at work for being deaf and helps without the slightest complaint when I cannot read a customer or have not the slightest clue how to pronounce a word will sit for as long as it takes to help me figure out not only how to say it, but recognize it in speech.... There are more people out there that do not do the brush off and actually attempt to ensure proper and effective communication then there are idiots... But these three are pretty awesome in my book. :D thanks for posting such a positive thread

Good call Jezie. I can also mention a coworker. Her brother had meningitis like I did but unfortunately he died from it. When I first started she would always help me and recap what they would say at our start up meetings. She became one of my best friends.

Back