Transitioning To Deaf Community

WrenchWench

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am hard of hearing ( completely dead in one ear, and have only 60% hearing in he other. )

Even thought I learned ASL when I was younger, I have relied on lip reading my whole life. I went to main stream hearing school and was not offered interpreter. I am now in college and struggling to understand and communicate and have begun the process to request interpreters and assistive communication devices.
I have experienced a lot of push back from the hearing community because I " appear to be normal." And often feel that I have to fight for my ADA rights.

I have found the Deaf community to be very welcoming and helpful during my transition.

If anyone has had any experience with situations like this, I would love to chat with you.

Funnily enough, I've been dealing with this recently myself at University. It is hard trying to request the additional support that you need, ESPECIALLY in the middle of a semester like I have been attempting to do.

My advice would be to take it the highest you can. I eventually had to take my case to the Education Board as my University refused to listen to me. I'm still waiting to hear back.
Maybe get yourself a representative of some sort? - A lawyer if need be.

But hopefully, it won't come to that and you'll get the assistance you require.

P.S
Welcome to AllDeaf! :dance2:

Thank you all for the warm wishes.

IMasise, I am still experiencing some push back from the interpretor coordinator, but have contacted a Deaf advocacy agency and am confident that I will eventually receive the services I need. I hope that your situation works as well. Perhaps there is a local non profit in your area that can help you too?

Welcome to all deaf, i am new to Deaf Culture and Would Love to learn more like you

Back