Transcriptions for Videos?

Ellieluv999

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I need an opinion on something. How useful would it be to have a transcript of a YouTube video, like, a written out part of what they're saying, versus automatic captions? Let me know your opinions. :)

Came across this while I was looking for another post to find a link I'd see (for my bootcamp instructor- he's interested in captioning all the videos of class he did for my cohort)...

I'd say.. YES it is VERY useful if the person would caption their video.. much more accurate than the automatic captions. As I understand it, it's even easier now to edit the captions on YouTube. You can download the transcript created by the 'automatic captions' and edit it from there then re-upload it. I think there is also an editor to be able to caption right in Youtube too.

I wish more people WOULD caption their videos instead of just letting the automatic captions do it for them. That technology is not there yet. Not everyone has perfect diction/enunciation and there's a wide variety of accents too.

I've done captioning on a video for myself, and I did them for a friend. The new function makes it SUPER easy to caption.

As for the automatic captioning, there's a reason they've been given the nickname "Craptions."

I've done captioning on a video for myself, and I did them for a friend. The new function makes it SUPER easy to caption.

As for the automatic captioning, there's a reason they've been given the nickname "Craptions."

LMAO exactly... and there's a lot of tech/programming jargon in the videos... 5 days a week/11 weeks/ 2-3 hours worth per day! I gave him a bunch of links I found as well as some recommended by a friend. I MAY test it out to see if I can do editing but I don't think they want their videos up on YouTube or any other video platform as they're geared to their course and mainly for students and alumni.

We'll see...

Back