Trademarking asl?

I don't have any historical information, but I was always told all my life that the ILY was because there is an I, an L, and a Y, if you look at the fingers used.
I've heard that too. Certainly makes sense.

I am seeing stuff in FB , relating that Helen Keller was an occult. She signed , ILY meaning el diablo ( the devil). I have no proof of evidence that the true meaning of the sign ILY is demonic.

If anyone here can help me out or find a reliable resource on the history or background on the sign ILY. Thank you !

**please be cordial with each other *** this is not for debate or anything **
There will always be people who see evil in things. Like the woman who said the taillights on school buses were a sign of the devil.
http://abc7ny.com/religion/mom-outraged-over-symbol-seen-on-school-bus/484489/

I don't have any historical information, but I was always told all my life that the ILY was because there is an I, an L, and a Y, if you look at the fingers used.

I was told the same thing . I guess, people on Fb find these internet sources that are made up by someone to make that "el diabalo" stuff up. Thank you for clarifying.

I was told the same thing . I guess, people on Fb find these internet sources that are made up by someone to make that "el diabalo" stuff up. Thank you for clarifying.
Sure. But I actually don't know if there's more to it, like the stuff you mentioned in your previous post. I hadn't heard of that, but I suppose it doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm guessing not, though. :)

My father disapproves of me using sign language. Mostly for the sign Ily. He claims it is satanic as well. He doesn't use FB so I don't know what drew him to this. Since I was little I have not been able to use the sign ily, the 'sign' for rock on, the typical peace sign etc. He claims they all make horns or something.

In my opinion do not worry. You are not using it in a bad way. Some people are just superstitious and paranoid I guess. If you mean to use signs for what they are for then there is no harm. It is just a simple gesture to some and for anyone in the Deaf or mute community it is our language.

I have always been taught that the sign Ily means just that. I love you. Nothing more nothing less. The fingers used are I L and Y.

There's not much else to be said. Just depends on who you are and how you see things.

My father disapproves of me using sign language. Mostly for the sign Ily. He claims it is satanic as well. He doesn't use FB so I don't know what drew him to this. Since I was little I have not been able to use the sign ily, the 'sign' for rock on, the typical peace sign etc. He claims they all make horns or something.

In my opinion do not worry. You are not using it in a bad way. Some people are just superstitious and paranoid I guess. If you mean to use signs for what they are for then there is no harm. It is just a simple gesture to some and for anyone in the Deaf or mute community it is our language.

I have always been taught that the sign Ily means just that. I love you. Nothing more nothing less. The fingers used are I L and Y.

There's not much else to be said. Just depends on who you are and how you see things.

Oh, my! He sounds ignorant and Luddite, doesn't he? Why don't you show some sources and books to your father?

Oh, my! He sounds ignorant and Luddite, doesn't he? Why don't you show some sources and books to your father?

It won't do much for him anyways, he despises my knowing of sign language. He is hispanic and I cannot speak Spanish. This irritated him very much and whenever I see him he tells at me for not knowing it. He says if I don't learn Spanish than I can't use any other language besides English which he yells at me for using too.
It's just my father, no matter what talking it won't change his mind on anything. He will still claim it being 'satanic' he will still hold that up. My father thinks he knows evrytjing. I have Anxiety and he tells me that I have no reason to be anxious and that I don't know how real stress or pain is. Yet, him and my mother left me when I was little. I loved with my Grandmother who uses to beat me. My mother would beat me as well whenever she saw me. I fear my father will rape because of personal reasons. Yet he claims I have no Anxiety, He says my suicide attempt a year ago was only for attention yet I only told one person about it because I needed help and was to afraid to tell a family member.

My father will dismiss anything I say, no matter what I tell him he will stand with what he says.

It won't do much for him anyways, he despises my knowing of sign language. He is hispanic and I cannot speak Spanish. This irritated him very much and whenever I see him he tells at me for not knowing it. He says if I don't learn Spanish than I can't use any other language besides English which he yells at me for using too.
It's just my father, no matter what talking it won't change his mind on anything. He will still claim it being 'satanic' he will still hold that up. My father thinks he knows evrytjing. I have Anxiety and he tells me that I have no reason to be anxious and that I don't know how real stress or pain is. Yet, him and my mother left me when I was little. I loved with my Grandmother who uses to beat me. My mother would beat me as well whenever she saw me. I fear my father will rape because of personal reasons. Yet he claims I have no Anxiety, He says my suicide attempt a year ago was only for attention yet I only told one person about it because I needed help and was to afraid to tell a family member.

My father will dismiss anything I say, no matter what I tell him he will stand with what he says.

It explains he is Hispanic. Is he from Guatamala, isn't he? Your Zela Luna looks familiar. I used to live in Mexico City. In Latino culture, superstitious is a huge deal. Well, I got to tell you that your father is ignorant and a dick. I hope you don't live with him. Do you?

Last edited:
It explains he is Hispanic. Is he from Guatamala, isn't he? Your Zela Luna looks familiar. I used to live in Mexico City. In Latino culture, superstitious is a huge deal. Well, I got to tell you that your father is ignorant and a dick. I hope you don't live with him. Do you?

He is from Orizaba mexico, and no I do not live with him nor do I live with my mother. I live with my grandmother. I have to see my father every weekend though.

He is from Orizaba mexico, and no I do not live with him nor do I live with my mother. I live with my grandmother. I have to see my father every weekend though.

Never been there except passed Orizaba on the way to Veracruz. Why do you have to see your father? How old are you now?

One more thing. You should show LSM (Mexican Sign Language) videos to your father. He should know it exists in Mexico. If he won't watch, then forget him. Some Mexicans are like that. They are so stubborn and arrogant.

I'm 15. He has watched things with LSM in it before. He is just stubborn. Then I had a friend who recommended the show Switched at Birth so I watched that with him and I like it it expresses a lot through the show. My father has been obsseed over the show but still will be mad about me using sign language. I don't really think it's the sign language that bothers him, He does bowling every week because he is in a league. There is a deaf league and he always is talking about how nice they are and how he likes talking to them (a few are oral). I just feel weird because if I want to talk to them he gets mad at me. It may just be he doesn't want me to be out of his exhortations or something. He wants be to be a girly, intelligent, skinny, athletic, little princess or something. I'm actually, trans (ftm), not very smart, non athletic besides boxing, thick, bisexual, anxiety infested, suicidal kid. He hates it. What makes it worse is he thinks that I pretend to not be able to hear very well. He says it's because of switched at Birth. I didn't know much about the show until last year when a friend recommended the show.

I'm not deaf and I don't think I'm hoh ( My family hasn't took me to a hearing doctor in a long time) so as far as I know I just have very poor hearing. I have trouble hearing lots of words and cause when people talk it just sounds muffled and all ran together (probably doesn't make since). But either way I still struggle with speaking, when I am anxious or depressed I go mute. Not voluntarily but still. I'm anxious a lot and my father just claims that I go mute for attention or something.

He's just stubborn. He believes everything should be as he wants it. Nothing more nothing less.

You have a few years left to move out. Your father is a piece of meat. He has no right to say these things to you. Could you ask your grandmother to pay for audiologist, so you have a hearing test? It is the only way to find out how much hearing loss you have now. Do it.

You have a few years left to move out. Your father is a piece of meat. He has no right to say these things to you. Could you ask your grandmother to pay for audiologist, so you have a hearing test? It is the only way to find out how much hearing loss you have now. Do it.

I have but she keeps blowing it off. I'm just gonna bring it up at my next doctor appointment to see what he says. I just hope she doesn't get mad at me for bringing it up to the doctor.

I'm 15....
Your profile says that you are 19 years old.

I was going to recommend asking your school nurse to help you get a hearing test but I don't know if you'd be eligible at 18 and over.

Yeah I know it says 19. I let my sister set up the account and when she finished she said she just chose a random date to not give out information. She had already finished it by that time. I tried to jhange it to the real date but idk it won't let me.

Yeah I know it says 19. I let my sister set up the account and when she finished she said she just chose a random date to not give out information. She had already finished it by that time. I tried to jhange it to the real date but idk it won't let me.

Are you student at Alabama School for the Deaf?

Back