Trademarking asl?

Yadriel

Reaction score
Anyone else saw that one of the men from KISS is trying to trademark the sign 'i love you'. He claims he was the first ti use it and that it means "rock on" which yes. People do use the sign for that purpose at concerts and etc, but he claims to be the first to use it.
Opinions?

Anyone else saw that one of the men from KISS is trying to trademark the sign 'i love you'. He claims he was the first ti use it and that it means "rock on" which yes. People do use the sign for that purpose at concerts and etc, but he claims to be the first to use it.
Opinions?
The Deaf community needs to correct him. The signs are two different handshapes. I think, he's being a jerk.

People can be so ignorant to confuse the two signs. The rock on is not a sign more of a gesture. Correct Mr. Simmons and let him know that's ILY not rock on!

I think NAD will take care of it.

The Deaf community needs to correct him. The signs are two different handshapes. I think, he's being a jerk.

People can be so ignorant to confuse the two signs. The rock on is not a sign more of a gesture. Correct Mr. Simmons and let him know that's ILY not rock on!

Some have. Nyle DeMarco tweeted about this, I don't recall if Marlee Matlin did. I've seen a LOT of comments from the deaf... but since Mr Simmons is a... celebrity there's not a lick of a chance of him even seeing what the Deaf community will say.

Some have. Nyle DeMarco tweeted about this, I don't recall if Marlee Matlin did. I've seen a LOT of comments from the deaf... but since Mr Simmons is a... celebrity there's not a lick of a chance of him even seeing what the Deaf community will say.
I have seen ALOT of hearing people angry about this. To my surprise, some comments mentioned that it's the ILY Sign followed by name calling Mr. Simmons. I really believe, Mr. Simmons will not win this. I have friends who are non signers and called him "greedy Ahole" . Most people know this is wrong, I was very surprised to see hearing upset about this. I guess, you can't underestimate hearing people .

I haven't seen anything come from Marlee Matlin.

One of another examples I recently saw in FB:

(Caption provided in video)

What's so asine about this whole thing is that Paul Stanley a member of kiss has microtia, you'd think he'd be a bit more sensitive to the deaf and hard of hearing community

He definitely doesn't have a leg to stand on with this. It's money he has his eye on through merchandising. I saw one comment on twitter though- "he ought to trademark his tongue...." (he's famous for the long ass tongue he has).

Long time ago, my curiosity leaded me to watch Gene Simmons' reality show about his family. I was pretty shocked to learn his kids are extremely normal. And he used to be a schoolteacher at the elementary school before he became famous. He speaks five languages. Gene is extremely workaholic and greedy because he knew his KISS band would not last forever. It compelled him to start his business by investing and patenting merchandise like KISS clothing, hats, etc. I have a feeling he would back off from patenting ILY if he had learned the truth. I'd be shocked if he won't budge, then he is a jerk.

Many successful bands would never last long. For instance, Vanilla Ice (Rob Van Winkle) made a smart investment by flipping mansions in Florida.

Gene Simmons withdrew the request? I'm curious! Where did you find that ?

Meike since the Daily Moth is a public page, people who don't have FB accounts should be able to see it anyway :)

I am seeing stuff in FB , relating that Helen Keller was an occult. She signed , ILY meaning el diablo ( the devil). I have no proof of evidence that the true meaning of the sign ILY is demonic.

If anyone here can help me out or find a reliable resource on the history or background on the sign ILY. Thank you !

**please be cordial with each other *** this is not for debate or anything **

I don't have any historical information, but I was always told all my life that the ILY was because there is an I, an L, and a Y, if you look at the fingers used.

Back