Toyota Tercel Question

softabak

Reaction score
Hi guys!
So I drive a 99 Toyota Tercel - and for the life of me, I cannot find the block heater! I live in Canada and it's going to -25 C and it is FREEZING. My car has started the past few days - but it's been a little temperamental. Yesterday I brought it for an alignment and I asked the mechanic if I had one, and he told me if you start plugging in your car when it's cold, then the car will become dependent on you plugging it in, and if you don't have a block heater and it starts in the cold, then you don't need one. Is this actually true? I mean the purpose of the block heater is to keep the engine a little warm, so that the oil doesn't become too thick so it can pass through the engine, right? :hmm:

P.S. This is the best car EVER for my job. I drive so much and with gas prices going down, it costs me $30 to fill it up! :D

Your car will not become dependent on a block heater. The easiest to install are the dip stick heaters but I seem to remember they where outlawed in Canada because of fires. Next is the magnetic kind that you have to put in the oil pan.

Probably your best option is to run oil recommended by the manufacturer for sub zero climate and to get battery quick disconnects so you can bring it in the house at night. Just make sure the battery is cleaned or the corrosion will eat everything it touches. (baking soda and water neutralizes battery acid)

Also make sure your antifreeze is up to snuff. A good backup is a booster pack and jumper cables. If you want to get hardcore get a battery charger with a start setting.

Your car will not become dependent on a block heater. The easiest to install are the dip stick heaters but I seem to remember they where outlawed in Canada because of fires. Next is the magnetic kind that you have to put in the oil pan.

Probably your best option is to run oil recommended by the manufacturer for sub zero climate and to get battery quick disconnects so you can bring it in the house at night. Just make sure the battery is cleaned or the corrosion will eat everything it touches. (baking soda and water neutralizes battery acid)

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I will look into getting a magnetic one. I'm sure I'll have this car for at least a couple more years, and it's so cold here in the winter, so it will be worth it!

:ty:

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I will look into getting a magnetic one. I'm sure I'll have this car for at least a couple more years, and it's so cold here in the winter, so it will be worth it!

:ty:

Just a correction. I said you put it in the oil pan but really you put it ON the oil pan. Also check to make sure you have a steel (magnetic) oil pan because now that I think about it your tercel may not.

EDIT: Just checked the parts listing and your oil pan seems to be steel (magnetic) so you'll just have to double check and look to see if there is room for it.

Yes, oil gets thicken during extreme cold so it(block heater) does help keep the engine warm so that it can lubricate too many precious parts inside the engine, but that is not the only reason. Gasoline has flash point in order to complete the combustion process, if the temperature falls below the flash point, then gasoline can't explode, won't be able to complete the combustion process, thus can't start the engine.

Diesel has higher flash point meaning that gasoline starts better in colder climate than Diesel, hence why most Diesel has block heater installed in factory while they don't with Gasoline engine.

Since your in Canada, and the temperature falls much lower than here in the states, so it is worth having block heater during frigid winter time so you won't have hard time starting the engine, and get your cabin warm faster than without the block heater.

Yes, oil gets thicken during extreme cold so it(block heater) does help keep the engine warm so that it can lubricate too many precious parts inside the engine, but that is not the only reason. Gasoline has flash point in order to complete the combustion process, if the temperature falls below the flash point, then gasoline can't explode, won't be able to complete the combustion process, thus can't start the engine.

Diesel has higher flash point meaning that gasoline starts better in colder climate than Diesel, hence why most Diesel has block heater installed in factory while they don't with Gasoline engine.

Since your in Canada, and the temperature falls much lower than here in the states, so it is worth having block heater during frigid winter time so you won't have hard time starting the engine, and get your cabin warm faster than without the block heater.

See I didn't know ANY of this stuff, so thank you very much! I really don't know much about cars - but I'm trying to learn as much as I can! This year I finally did stuff myself - like changing the tail light bulbs and my headlight bulb, as well as my wipers... laugh all you want! My Grandpa used to do it all for me but he passed away and I never had anyone show me, so it's been interesting!

I know they have them at Canadian Tire. I have a good mechanic (not the one that did the wheel alignment) who doesn't charge too much, so I will talk to him about it.

Thanks a bunch!!

Look in the owners manual and see if it lists it as an option. If it does it should give the info on using it and where to find the plug.

I started it this morning in minus 40 C (with windchill) weather and it didn't give me a hard time. I hope this is the last of this nasty cold weather.

Back