Toyota Tacoma TPMS

That's pretty cool! Our trailer use AIS (Tire Inflation System) and easy for me to adjusted it and troubleshooting. No scan tools needs. Just simple air gauge chuck and air gauge with airline 1/4" to connect AIS's air regulator to adjust.

Star report? Never heard of that and good job.

I'll be in pm with u tonight.

I bought new tires at Pep Boys. I'm glad they didn't break my TPMS.

did you replace the sensor for free?

If we break the tire pressure senors, we pay for that. The shop's profit lost money and force us to have to selling brake jobs, tires/alignments, other things to make up the shop's earning loss. Same as other repair shops...

Even some newer cars will force you to change oil, otherwise one can't start until the oil has been changed... It is all computer controlled.

What I see newer cars with oil service request or excessive overdue, these engines are still running but noises in engines, and long cranking time due to insufficient oil to the valve trains like variable valve timings.

I recall I work on a 2004 or 2005 Cadillac XLR last year, had been struggling with the TPMS reset problem after replaced a new tire pressure sensor. The TPMS reset on this car you have 2 minutes to processing with a TPMS scan tool (shop's), I miss time expired, why? I can't hear beeps from TPMS scan tool (shop's crappy toy) but I can feel chirp vibrates by my hand on the front fenders, no feel on the rear fenders. I am out. Borrow my shop helper to listening the sounds as I explain to him about the TPMS reset procedure. He sign at me in "Flash" while I dim a TPMS tool at the valve stem (sensor) on the LF, then move to the LR, wait for his signal then process to RR and RL within 2 minutes. TPMS light in the cluster turns off. Delight. I am not a good TPMS mechanic because I don't wear hearing aids.

I recall I work on a 2004 or 2005 Cadillac XLR last year, had been struggling with the TPMS reset problem after replaced a new tire pressure sensor. The TPMS reset on this car you have 2 minutes to processing with a TPMS scan tool (shop's), I miss time expired, why? I can't hear beeps from TPMS scan tool (shop's crappy toy) but I can feel chirp vibrates by my hand on the front fenders, no feel on the rear fenders. I am out. Borrow my shop helper to listening the sounds as I explain to him about the TPMS reset procedure. He sign at me in "Flash" while I dim a TPMS tool at the valve stem (sensor) on the LF, then move to the LR, wait for his signal then process to RR and RL within 2 minutes. TPMS light in the cluster turns off. Delight. I am not a good TPMS mechanic because I don't wear hearing aids.

2008 or newer GM vehicles are much easier than old. When you press relearn or reset TPMS on the dashboard then you will see signal light turned on at LF then press on the relearn button with TPMS scan tool till LF signal light went off then LR signal light turned on then relearn button with TPMS scan tool then RR then LR. Not because you are Deaf. Some mechanics complained that TPMS scan tool's beep was not loud enough when shop was very loud. Same idea, tech diesel hate digital electronic torque wrench (beep only and no click noise/cannot feels anything) due shop noise issue.

2008 or newer GM vehicles are much easier than old. When you press relearn or reset TPMS on the dashboard then you will see signal light turned on at LF then press on the relearn button with TPMS scan tool till LF signal light went off then LR signal light turned on then relearn button with TPMS scan tool then RR then LR. Not because you are Deaf. Some mechanics complained that TPMS scan tool's beep was not loud enough when shop was very loud. Same idea, tech diesel hate digital electronic torque wrench (beep only and no click noise/cannot feels anything) due shop noise issue.

Exactly, I did it. GM TPMS Relearn is wonderful as easy if not successful then you have bad tire pressure sensors.
I've seen newer TPMS tools have feature of red/green or yellow LED in a repair shop news magazine. These blinking LED will tell you to do TPMS processing. Very much helpful for impaired hearing techs. Too many TPMS toys to be market like competition which is the best toy. Good for high volume tire shops, usually have 2 or more TPMS tools.

I pick up a 2008 Nissan Versa this morning for oil service, brought in the service bay, notice TPMS light on, record the RO invoice as I used to logging the odometer and VIN prior to services. I check the tire pressure label on the door post, states Front 33psi and Rear 33psi cold. Changed oil/filter, measure tire pressure (PSI): FL- 32.5, FR- 31.5, RR- 29.5, RL- 34 and all tires were just recent new by another shop. As the RO invoice states Please check tire pressure and topping all fluids. I inflat all tires to 34 psi (slight warm tires). TPMS light still on, seek an owner manual in a glove box, find nothing. According to Alldata, For Tire monitor reset is inflate to the tire pressure label and drive above 16 mph. I doubt the proper tire pressure will erase TPMS light because this car had been driving since new tires with TPMS light on. Notify a service manager the incident of the TPMS. Few hours later, manager ask me to clear TPMS light, I say sure. I grab my Modis Ultra to plug OBDII port, intenting to clear TPMS codes but I didn't. I curious to see what codes the TPMS have. 4 codes of low pressure tires. The data reveals the LF,RF and RR are zero PSI, other LR is 33.9 PSI.... I record it and cleared TPMS codes. The TPMS light went off and took it for road test. Nothing wrong with, return it to the customer. I feel the TPMS light will come back, she might take her car back to the tire shop. Though....

I'm finally getting an new OEM sensor replacement today free of charge! They discovered the old one was indeed damaged during the tire replacement but also discovered a driver side sensor battery is dying.. At least the one is getting fixed right now. Looks like I'll be ordering the other..

Edit: They broke a lug stud in the process of replacing the sensor today.. Ugh!

Last edited:
I'm finally getting an new OEM sensor replacement today free of charge! They discovered the old one was indeed damaged during the tire replacement but also discovered a driver side sensor battery is dying.. At least the one is getting fixed right now. Looks like I'll be ordering the other..

Oh poor, they bust a lug nut cuz they were pissed off for free parts/labors.....
Broken or chaffed threaded lug studs or nuts are often damaged by previous repairs and uneducated mechanics. I broke the lug studs few times not my fault because they were seized already prior to wheel removal.

They should paid for broke a lug stud. Looks like you got impatient tire guys. :shock:

Oh poor, they bust a lug nut cuz they were pissed off for free parts/labors.....
Broken or chaffed threaded lug studs or nuts are often damaged by previous repairs and uneducated mechanics. I broke the lug studs few times not my fault because they were seized already prior to wheel removal.

Or impatient mechanics.

My work's policy that must drop 1-2 motor oil on each lug nut then tighten to previous from seized. No anti-seize lubricant allows.

This is heavy duty as tractor/trailers only.

Use 1" impact gun to take all lug nuts off.
cp7778-6.jpg

Then use tire lift Y to take wheel off from the axle.
tire_lift.jpg

Then remove valve core stem off to leaking whole air out.

Then use tire hammer hit on the tire's bead. "bead-breaking"
2KEN35427.jpg

Applied tire lubes around on the bead

Use tnt-200 to dismount the tire.

90513-1.jpg

Then replace the tire then use tire pry bar to remount the tire. (I use one pry bar all times and no problem with it so far)

Ken%20Tool%20T45AS%20tire%20bar%20(3).jpg

Then install the valve core stem then tire in the tire cage for safety
Branick-452240.jpg

Then use tire lift Y to put wheel back on the axle.
Use motor oil drop each lug nuts then use 1" impact gun with torque stick and air regulator to tighten all lug nut.

Then use 1" torque wrench to tighten all lug nuts @ 450 lb-ft.

spyker-torque-wrench1.jpg
(see how long it is!)

Lot to steps?

I heard that 90% of automotive technicians didn't bother to use torque stick and torque wrench to tighten all lug nuts. Is it true?

They should paid for broke a lug stud. Looks like you got impatient tire guys. :shock:

They are indeed impatient and rushing around lately, I guess they have too many customers this time of year but it's still not a good enough reason to rush then break things, for sure. The tire shop is going to pay for repairs at a different auto shop, since the tire guys aren't certified to replace lug studs. I'm glad.

I heard that 90% of automotive technicians didn't bother to use torque stick and torque wrench to tighten all lug nuts. Is it true?
It might be true, I couldn't watch them working on mine. I did see a torque wrench in the shop when I pulled up though. *shrugs*

Or impatient mechanics.

My work's policy that must drop 1-2 motor oil on each lug nut then tighten to previous from seized. No anti-seize lubricant allows.

This is heavy duty as tractor/trailers only.

Use 1" impact gun to take all lug nuts off.
cp7778-6.jpg

Then use tire lift Y to take wheel off from the axle.
tire_lift.jpg

Then remove valve core stem off to leaking whole air out.

Then use tire hammer hit on the tire's bead. "bead-breaking"
2KEN35427.jpg

Applied tire lubes around on the bead

Use tnt-200 to dismount the tire.

90513-1.jpg

Then replace the tire then use tire pry bar to remount the tire. (I use one pry bar all times and no problem with it so far)

Ken%20Tool%20T45AS%20tire%20bar%20(3).jpg

Then install the valve core stem then tire in the tire cage for safety
Branick-452240.jpg

Then use tire lift Y to put wheel back on the axle.
Use motor oil drop each lug nuts then use 1" impact gun with torque stick and air regulator to tighten all lug nut.

Then use 1" torque wrench to tighten all lug nuts @ 450 lb-ft.

spyker-torque-wrench1.jpg
(see how long it is!)

Lot to steps?

Yeah, you right. I didn't use wrench torque when flat tire repairs done or swap to spare tires on regular vehicles but for exotic vehicles you should use a torque wrench to tight the lug nuts/bolts. Of course my idoit mechanics torque the lugs with their air impact wrench tools even on Bentley or Rolls Royce. Stupid mechanics. Every brake jobs you done, you have to use a torque wrench to tight the lugs proper, prevent fresh resurfaced or new rotors become warps or severe stress in the rotor material when the rotors get hot while braking....
Once you uses air impact wrench for many years, you know how to feel the torque of the impact tools, feel too heavy or overtorque then adjust the air knob or scroll in the impact wrench tool to reduce air flow and lower torque capably. This is what pro mechanics do that.

They are indeed impatient and rushing around lately, I guess they have too many customers this time of year but it's still not a good enough reason to rush then break things, for sure. The tire shop is going to pay for repairs at a different auto shop, since the tire guys aren't certified to replace lug studs. I'm glad.

It might be true, I couldn't watch them working on mine. I did see a torque wrench in the shop when I pulled up though. *shrugs*

Alway Rush jobs = make more money. Mechanics neglect the rule of thumb.....I don't like to see the customers on the waiting for their vehicles to be services like flat tire repairs or LOFs etc, can't handle more vehicles to be services myself then next action is I forget the rule of thumb. I can't remember what vehicles I did service them. Over my head. If my hands on the exotic vehicles then my brain will tell me, "Do Not Forget the Rule of Thumb". That's my wrench life....

Finally getting the broken lug stud replaced at another shop.. then, back to DT for two more tire pressure sensors because they worked out a great discount with me to "make it up to me" for breaking the lug stud. I hope they dont break anything else!

I'm so frustrated with this sensor stuff.. After all that, now Discount Tire is back to saying they can't read the sensors at all except for the one that they replaced during my last visit.. The system isn't indicating dead sensors at all though or "tripped". I guess it's time for me to move along to another shop or the stealership to get another opinion.. Ugh.

I'm so frustrated with this sensor stuff.. After all that, now Discount Tire is back to saying they can't read the sensors at all except for the one that they replaced during my last visit.. The system isn't indicating dead sensors at all though or "tripped". I guess it's time for me to move along to another shop or the stealership to get another opinion.. Ugh.

My bet is low battery in sensor that causes weak frequency signal. TPMS module needs good frequency signals. Take it to the stealership or independence Toyota/Lexus repair shop. Suggest you try thetoyotatpmsforum.com

My bet is low battery in sensor that causes weak frequency signal. TPMS module needs good frequency signals. Take it to the stealership or independence Toyota/Lexus repair shop. Suggest you try thetoyotatpmsforum.com

Thanks, I'll look into it. Thanks for the link too. :)

Bad link, Fix your link.

I have same issue with TPMS too on 2005 jeep liberty Limited. Yes the device now 15 yr old and I thought it was Throttle Position Module (TPM) when ceiling mount messaging/temp warned me about it. I replaced Throttle Position Module and messaging still complained TPM issue. I did google search and it turned out to be Tire Pressure Module grrrrrr!! It started problem last month and I did check/fill tires including rear spare tires, still complaining. Realizing it's the battery went out inside rim. I haven't check google about how to replace batteries. Mean I will have to send it to shop.

Catty

Back