Topping when filling gas tank

Secretblend

Reaction score
I love to read this website every friday. They usually make me laugh. However I was curious of those with cars, do you top off with more gas or pull out nozzle when it stops automatically?

Here is link for article.

Car Talk

We always just stop and turn off the pump. If it is one where you tip down the hook for the gas nozzle, I always try to get the last few cents left in the hose that I am paying for.

I try to get it even dollar,like the other day I try to put in $10.00 but it stop at $9 something cents and I got $10.00 in.

I love to read this website every friday. They usually make me laugh. However I was curious of those with cars, do you top off with more gas or pull out nozzle when it stops automatically?

Here is link for article.

Car Talk

i add in more gas depending on how many gallons it has been poured in. I know my car better than the silly sensor :mad2:

Oh Shit! Seriously!? I'm going to be out 300 bucks! LOL

Yeah, I read those two stooges in the paper, it's hilarious when they start remembering how the other dealt with the very same problem they are discussing.

I stop when the nozzle clicks.

I have seen people rock their cars, so they can squeeze more fuel in. It is funny to watch!

The way the filler neck on my gas tank is angled, I have to hold it a little out of the neck in order for it to run the pump nozzle. Because of that, I have to stop on the first click or else it overflows. I don't want to waste gas or make a mess, so I stop filling on the first click.

I tops off the gas. What I did was bumped my Durango with my shoulder while I was standing next to it and let the fuel slosh a bit and I put in 1 gal more in. I was thinking there were air pocket in gas tank that needed to be burped to allow more fuel in. Sometime some gas station have inclined lot that I can park my durango with fuel cap side leaning up so I can top off gas without burping it. I'm just a habitual fuel toppers. It sure last me half a day seeing "F" on guage while driving around downtown. I just like it!

Catty

Did you know that if you top off your gas tank, it's not environmentally friendly? It defeats the purpose of having the automatic shut off nozzle. source

When you top off, you are contributing to the release of benzene emissions in the environment. source

i jut top it off. if its 41.50..i just let it go to 42.00. but i do not over do it or anything. makes no sense spilling gas to the ground.

In last Thurs, I was filled the gas at BP and dream about something until I saw total price kept counting and check gas nozzle and it went spill on ground then stop and pull it out, spill is about almost 2 gal of gas. I went in and report to clerk about problem with nozzle won't stop so automatically.

I got some gas spill on my jean and it smell so uncomfortable.

Secretblend said:
... However I was curious of those with cars, do you top off with more gas or pull out nozzle when it stops automatically? ...
:wave:I pull out nozzle when it stops automatically when gassing my truck, jeep and boat. The boat has an air vent to the gas tank on the side of the boat and all overflow would spash on the side of the boat before hitting the ground. Please don't ask me how I know. :laugh2:

Sometimes I get to top off my tank and give me a big of stretch in my range. When it automatically clicks, then I squeeze the pump very slowly to add a bit more in and to round up my cents. The fuel needle stays "F" for good while til it starts to come down :lol:

In last Thurs, I was filled the gas at BP and dream about something until I saw total price kept counting and check gas nozzle and it went spill on ground then stop and pull it out, spill is about almost 2 gal of gas. I went in and report to clerk about problem with nozzle won't stop so automatically.

I got some gas spill on my jean and it smell so uncomfortable.

Happens to me exactly the same. One of few gas station had one bad nozzle and it kept pumping when gas was full. I too lost 2 gal worth. the gas spilled on side of truck to ground. I inform the attendant that the pump didn't work. So I had to keep eye on pump to be sure it clicks (seeing hose suddenly jerked or feel truck frame "thump" when it's finished filling).

Catty

guilty as charged. I like to top off whenever I KNOW I need the extra range. It like a safe assurance that I'll have a little extra and wont run out of gas. I seem to be able to get higher mileage ( i know this isn't true but looking at the final MPG on a trip feels good). otherwise, i dont top off.

On the other hand when filling with diesel- I dont top off since it stinks if it splashes on me. Its worse the gas!:roll:

Back