Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track

ncff07

Resident Punk Ass
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track

Bob Pockrass
August 10, 2014 3:08am EDT

Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track - NASCAR - Sporting News

Tony Stewart hit and killed driver Kevin Ward Jr., who walked toward Stewart's sprint car Saturday night after the two had an altercation at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, according to authorities, witnesses and video of the tragedy.

The three-time Cup champion was racing a sprint car in the Empire Super Sprints series at the half-mile dirt track in upstate New York, about an hour from Watkins Glen International, site of this weekend’s Cup race.

The Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Office confirmed that the victim, whom it did not name, was declared dead on arrival at the hospital, according to a reporter who was at the sheriff's news conference.

Stewart was not arrested and the sheriff told reporters that the driver had returned to Watkins Glen. The case will be handled by the district attorney.

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.

"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn’t see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. His description was similar to that of Graves and video of the tragedy showed Stewart's car hitting Ward.

“People (who could see it better) said the guy got out of his car and was gesturing angrily at Tony Stewart when Tony Stewart came by during the next lap under yellow,” Willis said in a phone interview. “He approached him and evidently when he was driving by the guy standing on the track gesturing at him, he gunned his engine.

“What happened was the back end kicked out and clipped the guy and the guy flew across the track.”

Graves said it appeared to him that Stewart swerved before gunning the engine but he did not believe it was intentional.

"You never mean to do something like that," Graves said. "Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn't happy either. He went over the line with it."

Graves got emotional as he talked about Ward, whom he raced against last week in the Patriot Sprint Tour. In that race Graves' car broke, he got upside down and Ward hit him.

"The first thing Kevin said to me (last week after the accident) was, 'I'm glad you're OK,'" Graves said. "He hit me full throttle. I've been friends with Kevin for the last several years. … He's a clean racer."

The 43-year-old Stewart has 48 Cup wins in 542 career starts. Stewart, who missed the last 15 Cup races last year after breaking his leg in two places in a sprint-car crash, is winless and 19th in the standings this year.

There was no immediate word whether Stewart-Haas Racing, co-owned by Stewart, would field Stewart’s car Sunday at Watkins Glen. With him released without being arrested, Stewart could race at The Glen, or the team could opt to put a different driver in the car or withdraw. Stewart is scheduled to start 13th .

Graves, who described himself as a huge Stewart fan until Saturday night, doesn't think Stewart should be racing.

"Tony Stewart needs to be put in prison for life," Graves said.

This is tragic... some drivers needs to have their emotion check during the race. Having tempers doesn't help anyone.

NASCAR Driver Tony Stewart ‘Runs Over’ Opposing Driver During Altercation, Killing Hi

Stunning development from upstate New York late last night.

NASCAR driver Tony Stewart ‘ran over’ a competitor, 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr., during a confrontation at a sprint car race on Saturday night at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in New York. Ward was killed.

In the video below, you can see Ward confronting Stewart on foot after Ward’s car is run into the wall. He is struck, dragged, then thrown a large distance (a shocking 25-50 feet, according to witnesses). According to Ontario County Sheriff Philip C. Povero, Ward was dead on arrival at the hospital.

In the video, shocked fans sob and scream after Stewart runs over another driver and that driver lies motionless on the track while emergency personnel respond. sports lost way too soon.

You can hear the motor rev just before the car hits the driver, who flies about 50 feet.

“People that witnessed it were horrified,” Povero said of the crash, according to AP. “They were extremely shocked.”

Povero said the the 25-lap race was under caution when Ward was struck. Stewart’s car was behind another before he hit Ward.

“The first car swerved to avoid the driver,” Povero told the AP.

The race was cancelled. CMP posted the following to its Facebook page:

Tonight’s racing events were suspended due to an accident. Please hold off on any speculation until we have further information to share.

According to FoxSports, “police are investigating” the incident, and were “seeking” Stewart, although police at the scene described Stewart as “fully cooperative” and appeared “very upset” over what had happened.

The Sporting News‘s Bob Pockrass had some more details:

Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn’t see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. He saw Stewart and Kevin Ward get into the wreck.

“People (who could see it better) said the guy got out of his car and was gesturing angrily at Tony Stewart when Tony Stewart came by during the next lap under yellow,” Willis said in a phone interview. “He approached him and evidently when he was driving by the guy standing on the track gesturing at him, he gunned his engine.

“What happened was the back end kicked out and clipped the guy and the guy flew across the track.”

Sporting News provided some more details later, around 1:30am:

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward’s, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.

“Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing,” Graves said. “The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

“I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards.”

According to FoxSports, Graves said he didn’t believe it was intentional:

“You never mean to do something like that,” Graves told Sporting News. “Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn’t happy either. He went over the line with it.“

NASCAR Driver Tony Stewart ‘Runs Over’ Opposing Driver During Altercation, Killing Him (Video)

by Top Right News on August 10, 2014 in Sports

inShare
stewart

by Scott Aberdeen | Top Right Sports

Stunning development from upstate New York late last night.

NASCAR driver Tony Stewart ‘ran over’ a competitor, 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr., during a confrontation at a sprint car race on Saturday night at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in New York. Ward was killed.

In the video below, you can see Ward confronting Stewart on foot after Ward’s car is run into the wall. He is struck, dragged, then thrown a large distance (a shocking 25-50 feet, according to witnesses). According to Ontario County Sheriff Philip C. Povero, Ward was dead on arrival at the hospital.

In the video, shocked fans sob and scream after Stewart runs over another driver and that driver lies motionless on the track while emergency personnel respond. sports lost way too soon.

You can hear the motor rev just before the car hits the driver, who flies about 50 feet.

“People that witnessed it were horrified,” Povero said of the crash, according to AP. “They were extremely shocked.”

Povero said the the 25-lap race was under caution when Ward was struck. Stewart’s car was behind another before he hit Ward.

“The first car swerved to avoid the driver,” Povero told the AP.

The race was cancelled. CMP posted the following to its Facebook page:

Tonight’s racing events were suspended due to an accident. Please hold off on any speculation until we have further information to share.

According to FoxSports, “police are investigating” the incident, and were “seeking” Stewart, although police at the scene described Stewart as “fully cooperative” and appeared “very upset” over what had happened.

ward

Above: The deceased, 20-year old Kevin Ward, Jr.

The Sporting News‘s Bob Pockrass had some more details:

Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn’t see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. He saw Stewart and Kevin Ward get into the wreck.

Sporting News provided some more details later, around 1:30am:

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward’s, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.

“Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing,” Graves said. “The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

“I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards.”

According to FoxSports, Graves said he didn’t believe it was intentional:

“You never mean to do something like that,” Graves told Sporting News. “Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn’t happy either. He went over the line with it.“

Michael Messerly, a fan who witnessed the crash, told The Associated Press it appeared Stewart struck the driver as he tried to “speed past” him.

Messerly said the crash appeared to be the result of “a number of bad decisions” and not “any intent on Tony Stewart’s part.”

“Auto racing is a dangerous sport,” he said. “I think it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances that created a tragic situation.”

After the incident, police were dispatched and fans were told to leave the track. The sheriff is asking for people who have video of the crash to contact the office so copies can be obtained for review. The Sheriff also said they are investigating the incident and seeking Stewart for questioning, although “no criminal charges” are being considered at this time.

Stewart was involved in a July 2013 accident at CMP that seriously injured a 19-year-old driver. He later took responsibility for his car making contact with another and triggering the 15-car accident that left Alysha Ruggles with a compression fracture in her back.

NASCAR Driver Tony Stewart Hits, Kills Driver During Incident

stewart.jpg

ward.jpg

Above: The deceased, 20-year old Kevin Ward, Jr.

Threads merged. :)

Stewart think he is professional driver, and know what to do with his car, but nope, speed is dangerous, and uncontrollable.

Unbelievable, one of my fave drivers. Unfortunate, but I know what Stewart was trying to do, he was going to respond to Ward's commotion by buzzing close past him. What he should have known is that when you gun it, the rear part of the car slides all over the track, in this case clipped the poor guy, twisted in the tire well, and flung a good distance. This business of getting back at people is becoming absurd!

Unbelievable, one of my fave drivers. Unfortunate, but I know what Stewart was trying to do, he was going to respond to Ward's commotion by buzzing close past him. What he should have known is that when you gun it, the rear part of the car slides all over the track, in this case clipped the poor guy, twisted in the tire well, and flung a good distance. This business of getting back at people is becoming absurd!

Ward was very foolish to try to confront Stewart like that.

Ward was very foolish to try to confront Stewart like that.

I think Ward Jr. did this because he fed up with Stewart's history of causing accidents. I have seen several NASCAR drivers get out of car and yelling or showing frustration at specific car that caused the accident.

Stewart was involved in a July 2013 accident at CMP that seriously injured a 19-year-old driver. He later took responsibility for his car making contact with another and triggering the 15-car accident that left Alysha Ruggles with a compression fracture in her back.

if tony has history, what the heck was kevin ward doing out of the car when he knew that tony had history.. Stay away from the crazily driver.

Why would you get out of your car and walk onto the track?! That's just something you don't do.... Those cars are going too fast... you don't walk onto a track like that. Granted I know Stewart has a temper and everything, a lot of those guys do... but you don't walk onto a track like that. That would be like if a driver clipped me on the interstate, if I walked out on the interstate waving my hands... you get off the interstate and stay clear of vehicles... period, you don't put yourself by them.

Back