To Reba and other terps.

Babyblue

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Happy Interpreter Appreciation Day!! I want to thank all the interpreters that have helped me throughout my school years and for appointments.

Happy IAD !!

(I had not known such a day existed. I'm so out of it sometimes. :) )

Have to remember this for next year. Will give my interperter a 3 minute rest every hour instead of the ususal 2 minute. Don't want them getting lazy

thank you all, terps! :ty:

Yup.. many thanks to terps.. :)

There's always great holidays and some crazy ones.. :) I did notice Interpreter's Day on FB posts from friends.. :-D

I wrote this yesterday for the interpreters on my facebook. I would like to share here too because this is for all interpreters...

I wanted to take the time to talk about sign language interpreters. Speaking as a Deaf person who lives the hearing world through a filter of interpreters... this can be challenging, intrusive to our privacy, and downright humiliating. I often take it out on them as a result.

It pisses me off that I can be "educationally-challenged" without my interpreters. It pisses me off that an interpreter was there when I got arrested for drunkenly smashing through Reliant Stadium's gates. It pisses me off that they were there for my college fraternity initiation. It pisses me off that she was there when the doctor told me to turn my head and cough. It pisses me off that an outsider was there for my son's birth. It HYPER pisses me off that an interpreter often knows how much I make and what my bills are.

Despite these social challenges, interpreters are our link to the hearing world via VRS, on-site interpreting, and most of all... from using the advocacy spirit that often becomes ingrained in them. You all are more proactive and positive than I give credit for. Don't misconstrue my frustrations as un-appreciation... because simply put... without you, the world would not know who or what I am. You all make a difference. I'm dreading the day I get my first prostate exam... and I know you'll be there to walk me through it... and you just know I'm going to still be frustrated.

Thank you for doing this immensely difficult job. Happy interpreter appreciation day.

I wrote this yesterday for the interpreters on my facebook. I would like to share here too because this is for all interpreters...

I wanted to take the time to talk about sign language interpreters. Speaking as a Deaf person who lives the hearing world through a filter of interpreters... this can be challenging, intrusive to our privacy, and downright humiliating. I often take it out on them as a result.

It pisses me off that I can be "educationally-challenged" without my interpreters. It pisses me off that an interpreter was there when I got arrested for drunkenly smashing through Reliant Stadium's gates. It pisses me off that they were there for my college fraternity initiation. It pisses me off that she was there when the doctor told me to turn my head and cough. It pisses me off that an outsider was there for my son's birth. It HYPER pisses me off that an interpreter often knows how much I make and what my bills are.

Despite these social challenges, interpreters are our link to the hearing world via VRS, on-site interpreting, and most of all... from using the advocacy spirit that often becomes ingrained in them. You all are more proactive and positive than I give credit for. Don't misconstrue my frustrations as un-appreciation... because simply put... without you, the world would not know who or what I am. You all make a difference. I'm dreading the day I get my first prostate exam... and I know you'll be there to walk me through it... and you just know I'm going to still be frustrated.

Thank you for doing this immensely difficult job. Happy interpreter appreciation day.
If it's any comfort to you, we terps don't usually dwell on the sights, sounds, and scents of our assignments, or replay them in our reminiscence. :)

That doesn't mean we're insensitive to our deaf clients experiences but we understand that whatever is happening is your experience, not ours.

That also helps terps protect themselves from second-hand emotional trauma. It can be very wearing on the soul to not only attend more "bad news" medical appointments, work discipline hearings, AA meetings, funerals, and social services counseling than the average person does in a lifetime but to also have to keep all the normal emotions inside and not share any of those feelings. It's also a blessing to be present at weddings and births, promotion celebrations, and graduations but again, that is your life, not mine. We respect that.

I don't take any criticisms from deaf clients personally, unless it does have to do with the quality of my work. Then, I have to honestly appraise what I did. If there was a failure on my part, then I do what I can to repair it. If it's just the client lashing out for whatever reason, then I move on.

I totally understand when the client (deaf or hearing) does sometimes take out feelings on me. Once in a while I have to remind him or her not to shoot the messenger, and redirect attention to the appropriate party. And yes, sometimes even a curt, "Don't touch me" is in order. :)

So, as a terp, I'm sorry that I have to intrude on your private events but I'm also glad that I was able to be of service in making that event proceed more smoothly.

Again, :ty: to y'all. This is especially meaningful to me as I wind down my interpreting career and approach retirement.

Again, :ty: to y'all. This is especially meaningful to me as I wind down my interpreting career and approach retirement.

How long have you been interpreting? You were in the Navy, right? Did you interpret while in the Navy?

How long have you been interpreting? You were in the Navy, right? Did you interpret while in the Navy?
While I was in the Navy, the only interpreting I did was at my church.

After I retired from the Navy, I went back to school to get a degree in interpreting. I started interpreting professionally (for pay) about 14 years ago.

If it's any comfort to you, we terps don't usually dwell on the sights, sounds, and scents of our assignments, or replay them in our reminiscence. :)

That doesn't mean we're insensitive to our deaf clients experiences but we understand that whatever is happening is your experience, not ours.

That also helps terps protect themselves from second-hand emotional trauma. It can be very wearing on the soul to not only attend more "bad news" medical appointments, work discipline hearings, AA meetings, funerals, and social services counseling than the average person does in a lifetime but to also have to keep all the normal emotions inside and not share any of those feelings. It's also a blessing to be present at weddings and births, promotion celebrations, and graduations but again, that is your life, not mine. We respect that.

I don't take any criticisms from deaf clients personally, unless it does have to do with the quality of my work. Then, I have to honestly appraise what I did. If there was a failure on my part, then I do what I can to repair it. If it's just the client lashing out for whatever reason, then I move on.

I totally understand when the client (deaf or hearing) does sometimes take out feelings on me. Once in a while I have to remind him or her not to shoot the messenger, and redirect attention to the appropriate party. And yes, sometimes even a curt, "Don't touch me" is in order. :)

So, as a terp, I'm sorry that I have to intrude on your private events but I'm also glad that I was able to be of service in making that event proceed more smoothly.

You being understanding or respectful matters very little though. It's not about that. There's a person there and that person has been through different stages of my life. The interpreter that I wrote this about was my college interpreter for several years and she has interpreted so many different stages of my life. It is no doubt hard for us to stay impersonal. She watched me grow for over 20 years. At one point, we're going to have to be friends. Lol. I remember getting arrested and thinking... pleasedontletitbeaterpiknow... then... she showed up. This interpreter also interpreted our business ribbon cutting. She interprets for my wife at work, my son's events, etc. This is where privacy becomes lost and it is NOBODY'S fault.

The point was... they're there for BOTH the high and low stages of my life. I typically reject interprer accomodations for low points and that isn't always a wise decision by me. There's nothing anyone can do about it. NEVER feel sorry that you are intruding. Believe me... I'm grateful despite my grumpy exterior.

As for how I make it difficult on them? I just basically tend to myself instead of making introductions or whatsoever. I treat them like too much like I do a power tool. I don't sit and visit with my circular saw. Wow on the "don't touch me" thing. I am sorry that you have to deal with that. That's awful and inexcusable on a million levels.

God bless the terps. I had one yesterday for Dr. appt. The poor thing...she got five parking tickets for parking on the hospital's parking garage and a couple other parking lots near the property. To make a long story short, interpreters are second-class citizens in. the eyes of the hospital. In my eyes they are worth their weight in gold.

happy terps day, but dont take it in ALL in your heads...

i have probelms with most terps, but nevertheless will say HIAD...to some, cheers

Sorry, I'm late with this.

I've not used interpreters professionally for a long time. I used to have a neighbor who was fluent in ASL. She once offered to help me interpret for my customer. I took her on the offer. I appreciated it very much.

I became friends with few of the interpreters.

Even being a native ASL user for about 34 years, I don't take time to realize how hard it is to interpret for an hour of lecture. I sign a lot and I don't think I can sign for an hour like that.

Best of all, maybe one of the interpreters will have a cool car and we'll talk about it before class. That is the best thing about signing up for an interpreter.

Yes, I recognize and appreciate interpreters for job well done.

...Best of all, maybe one of the interpreters will have a cool car and we'll talk about it before class. That is the best thing about signing up for an interpreter....
I knew one terp who had a Jag (gift from her hubby) but she never drove it to assignments. She rented plain cars for work because she thought the Jag might give the wrong impression.

I don't worry about that with my humble Cherokee. :lol:

Back