To all hearing parents of Deaf kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with CI's your still DEAF. People need to understand that. A CI doesnt give you your hearing back

Even with CI's your still DEAF. People need to understand that. A CI doesnt give you your hearing back

I wish Cloggy were still here caused he said it best. Yes a person with a ci is deaf but can hear as well. If you want to start to qualify the level and/or extent of that hearing, knock yourself out but it still does not change the fact that IJK's statement is wrong.

People with HA's can hear too...

Without HA and CI's at night/bath time/shower time you cannot hear

King Jordan was deaf himself was he?

As I remember last year or 2 years ago, Galludet University was on the Deaf tv programme we have here called See Hear, they showed Galludet's changed of presidents for galludet, there was protests and stuff. One woman became president but the deaf community didnt want her because she was late deafened or something, correct me if im wrong.
And I remember watching King Jordan

it was quite interesting to watch about galludet

As I remember last year or 2 years ago, Galludet University was on the Deaf tv programme we have here called See Hear, they showed Galludet's changed of presidents for galludet, there was protests and stuff. One woman became president but the deaf community didnt want her because she was late deafened or something, correct me if im wrong.
And I remember watching King Jordan

it was quite interesting to watch about galludet

Many of my friends were involved with the protests. One of them got arrested on Black Friday. They didnt want her cuz of her leadership style, policies, and character. I am sure there were some who were against her because she wasnt deaf enough. When I was a Gally student, I never liked her philosophies as a Provost. That was a long time ago...we have all moved past it.

Did they end up accepting King jordan or someone else? I cannot remember

Iv always been awed and soo interested in Galludet

Did they end up accepting King jordan or someone else? I cannot remember

The protest in which got King Jordan the position happened in 1988 which was called Deaf President Now.

The protest 2 years ago was against Fernadez whom was selected by the Board of Trustees after Jordan retired.

Yes I have worked that out, I dont see why some people cannot use both sign and speech at the same time, there's no harm in it

Sign and speech at the same time is neither the language ASL or English. No or incomplete language in no or incomplete language out.

It is imperative (imo) that the families have a clear understanding of all their choices for language acquisition.

Last edited:
Bit far for me, Shel! LOL! it would be a great if they had a deaf university here!

I have been told by lots of people not to teach my son signs b/c he will figure that it's easier to use signs then to learn to talk since he only has moderate hearing loss therefore won't learn how to verbilize but he's doing signs and verbal all the time.
That's a common belief, but the problem is that 1) it's an implicit denial that sign language is a legitimate form of communication; and 2) as far as I know, there is no evidence whatsoever that the use of sign language stunts the development of verbal skills.

Many of my friends were involved with the protests. One of them got arrested on Black Friday. They didnt want her cuz of her leadership style, policies, and character. I am sure there were some who were against her because she wasnt deaf enough. When I was a Gally student, I never liked her philosophies as a Provost. That was a long time ago...we have all moved past it.

I asked questions and that's what everyone pretty much said about her. I'm glad I never had to deal with her while I was at MSSD.

You are right, Mountain Man. Before I went deaf I worked with 'special needs' kids. I was told not to encourage use of sign language in two of the kids I worked with...DISPITE the fact that their mothers were trying to teach them sign. I did not stay long at that job, for that and many other reasons. But, unfortuntely, this is a growing problem. When I pointed out to my boss that the parents wanted these kids to sign, she told me quite cooly that (basically, not a direct quote) that these people were uneduacted, poor and didn't know what was best for their kids. Yes, they were poor (that was part of the program), but they knew what they wanted for their children. Both mothers of these kids were deaf, and they signed but they also spoke, obviously, because I was able to communicate with them and at the time I didn't know how to sign anything. I was literally told to ignore the kids when they signed and wait until they verbalized. How wrong was that? How unbelievable is it that people treat children like this?

PARENTS are the only one who knows whats best for the kids

That's my philosophy, but you have to be careful when you get into Child Care. Some people [who mean well, I'm sure] get so caught up in the fact that they've gone to school and read all the books that they forget that parents, who may never have finished highschool are with their kids most of the time (hopefully) and know a lot more about them then the professionals do. I'm not saying parents are perfect, but when the people who are supposed to be helping start dictating in a situation that is not abusive and is entirely a personal choice (such as sign) then it's time to look for a new job or new caretakers. It's really, really sad and fustrating. I still get upset about it and it's been three years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back