Titles: Mr. Mrs. and Miss..how to sign?

society's_child

Reaction score
I've checked ASL Pro and both my asl dictionaries with no mention from either..perhaps they are just fingerspelled?:confused:

I don't think I have ever seen a sign for titles, nor were they spelled. When I was in elementary the houseparents were called Title FirstName. The kids who could talk said Title FirstName, the kids who did not talk did not know of this courtesy and they just said FirstName.

The teachers (they were all hearing at that time) had name signs with letter of the Last Name. We were all expected to say outloud Title LastName.

I don't think I have ever seen a sign for titles, nor were they spelled. When I was in elementary the houseparents were called Title FirstName. The kids who could talk said Title FirstName, the kids who did not talk did not know of this courtesy and they just said FirstName.

The teachers (they were all hearing at that time) had name signs with letter of the Last Name. We were all expected to say outloud Title LastName.

Is that so? Interesting.. Thanks alot.:ty:

Always establish respect of an individual by saying their formal title. Mr. First Last Name. Then if have sign name, from there use it.

If you are trying to teach young children to develop awareness, then emphasize it more Mr. Last name or whatever is requested by an individual.

That how I was taught growing up. It apply as finger spell first full name then given sign name.

There are SEE signs for these

Mr. is an M on the side of the forehead (like placement for boy) and it moves forward and off the head becoming an R

Sir is is the same, starting with an 's'

Miss or Ms. is an M on the right cheek (like the sign for girl) and moves forward.

Mrs. is the same but becomes an 's' as it moves off the cheek.

My kids always use these to address their elders. :lol:

I taught my 3rd graders the concept of Mr, Mrs. and Miss last year...I fingerspelled it. Important that they understood and use it when writing letters to teachers, eldery or when appropriate.

I fingerspell it. I don't ever recall having seen it done any other way in the deaf community.

Hey there and welcome to the site

Edit: Sorry I thought this was in the intro forums

Yes, I would just finger spell it as well

In my school it is firstname-lastname but I just use their sign name. If I talk I will usually say their first name or last name. If they REALLY want it, I will put for the effort required for Mr/Mrs...why don't hearies realise it is HARD for us to say them (specially Mrs for me)?

In my school it is firstname-lastname but I just use their sign name. If I talk I will usually say their first name or last name. If they REALLY want it, I will put for the effort required for Mr/Mrs...why don't hearies realise it is HARD for us to say them (specially Mrs for me)?

Ditto for first names. A lot of hearies get offended when you mispronce their names. My MSSD audiologist had a hard time understanding why deaf don't get offended if their friends can't their names correctly. She used to get offended cuz I couldn't pronounce her name correctly. I remember it took me a long time to say the name Elizabeth correctly.

There are SEE signs for these

Mr. is an M on the side of the forehead (like placement for boy) and it moves forward and off the head becoming an R

Sir is is the same, starting with an 's'

Miss or Ms. is an M on the right cheek (like the sign for girl) and moves forward.

Mrs. is the same but becomes an 's' as it moves off the cheek.

My kids always use these to address their elders. :lol:

I too was taught this way. i was told to tap forehead and FS M-R for male and to tap cheek and FS M-I-S-S, M-R-S or M-I-S-S accordingly. I've done this so long that it has become second nature.

However, when interpreting in a school setting, I show the kids my sign name. That's usually accepted without the Ms. or Mrs.

Signed English in the old tradition has precise signs for those. But without finger spelling or substituting male female, married, master, mistress, mister etc etc etc it takes a little bit of work to establish the correct but once done its no problem.

From what I understand now people in very tiny percentage of society are confused enough to demand, require and obligate others to call something or some words for pronoun etc. When you get into Titles and legally required add on jewerly you are not going to find me anywhere near that situation. Im gone.

I dont bother with all that. I see a Boy, Girl, Man, Woman and babies. Thats it. Whatever other additional titles and values assigned to them depends on their station in life. For example a 12 year old boy might be called master so and so. A girl would be called miss. Married mrs etc. I leave all others strictly alone until we sort out who is what etc. That will take some time.

A side note ... in all my life I had grown to despise formal affairs and events. If I wanted to gag myself in a nectie and sweat in a suit buttoned to the nines formally addressing every soul in the opera house or lyrics in the formal ritual way... Im so out of there.

And I have been for over 40 years. The last concert my parents dragged me to was a fiasco. I told them there will be no more of that. Its just too demanding for a deaf or hard of hearing like i was. However, MSD used to stick me on the stage and I find Plural meanings for ladies and gentlemen talking to 500+ souls or 2000 souls or whtaever in both speaking and signs. That would become useful later in life.

One of the greatest pleasures in life is to dispense with the formality. And just be you. If that makes me a barbarian in some people's eyes they have another think coming. I have been too heavily influenced by the hoity toity growing up as a child. The people tried to hard to rise above themselves by circulating in places where the oxygen is 100 dollars a puff.

Back