Thoughts On Mainstream Schools

Sorry, I can't. That is private information. Nice try Melissa.
I don't know who Melissa is, but your opinion on the clarification statement of the ADA would not be private information and neither would your training and background.

I don't know who Melissa is, but your opinion on the clarification statement of the ADA would not be private information and neither would your training and background.
I'm sorry, but I thought this thread was about your thoughts on mainstreaming, not your thoughts and nosiness in other peoples business…

I'm sorry, but I thought this thread was about your thoughts on mainstreaming, not your thoughts and nosiness in other peoples business…
I was wanting to know what deafdyke's opinions on the ADA since she is a professional in the field. She is advocating for students who would be affected by these clarifications, so I wanted her opinion on them. Since she is advocating for or against the general education environment as the LRE, they would have a large impact.

Given the way Deafdyke presents herself as an expert, not just in this thread but all over Alldeaf, it seems natural to me to ask for credentials and education.

It seems even more natural with this being a deaf/Deaf forum and how much more that cultural talks about even with new people than most hearing groups in the US do. See the quote below from DeafDucky as an example. I have added bold to what seems to best illustrate that to me.

Competitive? Never heard of such a thing.

sure there are people who ask 20 questions about your schooling, your degree of loss blah blah blah but I have never seen that as somebody trying to be 'competitive'. Many deaf people are more open and talk about just about everything under the sun... no secrets as it were (except maybe the whole LGBT thing-- still issues there).

I grew up oral, learned ASL when I got to college, been through the whole "you're lying!!" thing with hearing people (never from deaf that I can remember honestly) when told I am deaf. I ID as deaf even though 'medically' with a profound loss I somehow have enough hearing with the strongest hearing aids and speech I'd be ID'ed as HoH by some people.

Thhp what's important to me is how I feel about myself and how I see myself... don't care about others- that's their problem if they can't deal.

Given the way Deafdyke presents herself as an expert, not just in this thread but all over Alldeaf, it seems natural to me to ask for credentials and education.

It seems even more natural with this being a deaf/Deaf forum and how much more that cultural talks about even with new people than most hearing groups in the US do. See the quote below from DeafDucky as an example. I have added bold to what seems to best illustrate that to me.
Thank you. I didn't think my question was out of line. I was curious about her training/education as a professional advocate and her opinion, as a professional on the new ADA statements.

Can always ask in PM unless DD wants to keep the info private from all on the interwebs.

Sorry, I can't. That is private information. Nice try Melissa.
Did you ever explain your educational background as an IEP advocate? I have a parent that I work with who is training to become an advocate. It is a long process. I was also still wondering about your thoughts on the ADA clarifications and how it impacts students with hearing loss. I think it is a very big deal. I would love to chat about it and how it impacts mainstreaming and other placement decisions.

Back