Those of us that have been bullied....

green427

Reaction score
For those of us that have been in hearing schools with no support system for the deaf, we recall the many students that have made us feel scared, unworthy, and hurt.

There is a movie out there (currently on Netflix) called "The Final".

It is a brutal horror film, and the nerdy girl did a great job acting. It is about a group of students that have been bullied and agreed to gather all the bullies in one place to put an end to it.

Watch the movie, and let me know whether you felt good or bad for the bullies...even though it is all a fantasy. I know this sounds bad, but I was cheering for the rejects....up to a certain point where it went too far.

On another note....many school bullies actually feel guilty later in life, as I've found through Facebook. I was surprised that two guys 'friended' me and apologized for treating me like crap. The fact that their guilt has been eating them up inside for years makes me change my opinion of them, and now I have gained respect for them. It takes a lot of guts to admit.

It is my understanding, which could be wrong,, that many bullies are such because of their own low self-esteem. They feel they need to make themselves appear better than someone else and they pick on the vulnerable because they probably wouldn't get their needs met trying to pick on strong people.

I'm am not defending bullying, just trying to put it into perspective.

I'm glad your two "friends" apologized to you for their bullying.

well, once i became deaf, the hearing school was full of hungry dogs.....hard days for me. kids can be cruel. i was sent to a Deaf residential school. and i faced kids demanding i dont wear my aids or else. as i've said in other threads
"deaf or hearing cant the both!!!" was the jist ill never forget it.
That signed, What i faced in the hearing school was some evil shit frankly.
the deaf school saved my wee life, even with the silly hearing aid purges goin around by silly students whom became as the years went by dear close friends.
i have settled some scores with some pricks since those days

When I was at my best friend funeral her ex husband was there and he told me he was feeling awful about how horrible he treated her . I wanted to say something to the SOB but I could see he was going a pretty good job of feeling horrible on his own. I just walked away and said nothing to him. When kids tried to bully me I gave they no attention and that was not fun to the bullies , so they just left me alone. The kids in school could not do anything worst than what was happening at home.

I wasn't bullied too much...my best friend was my bodyguard...(big girl!)...but then again, there were times when I did get into fights and I'm glad I did...never was the type to sit back and take the abuse. And I'm still the same way to this day.

Well as a kid, yes I was bullied especially from this one particular girl. I still don't know why she treated me like crap... but whatever. Oddly enough, we're still 'friends' on Facebook but we never talk. It was horrible on the way she treated me because of who I am and because I wasn't the standard 'norm' of the school. Eh it made me stronger person and I am proud to be who I am today.

I was luck to go to a school which strived to ensure all students Hearing or HOH were fairly treated and got the best education possible. People in my old high school didn't see HOH or deafness as anything different from those whom can hear

I was bullied my entire childhood....seriously. The first memories my father had of me going to school was carrying me kicking and screaming on to the school bus. I had no friends and was taunted each and every grade...right up to high school. Bullies find reasons to do what they do...logic has nothing to do with it.....they did not pick on my hearing loss but they seemed to find something new each day to make my life Hell about...I don't miss it, and not a surprise, I've never been to even one reunion.

Laura

I was bullied my entire childhood....seriously. The first memories my father had of me going to school was carrying me kicking and screaming on to the school bus. I had no friends and was taunted each and every grade...right up to high school. Bullies find reasons to do what they do...logic has nothing to do with it.....they did not pick on my hearing loss but they seemed to find something new each day to make my life Hell about...I don't miss it, and not a surprise, I've never been to even one reunion.

Laura

Then you will love the movie.......

The Final

Why would anyone feel the need to befriend someone who mistreated them? People don't change, their lives change. If you put those people back in the same situations, they will do the same things again.

Closure isn't something you get from the outside word, it's purely introspective.

Be careful with whom you hang out..

I liked The Final, I really liked My Bodyguard when I was a kid.

My Bodyguard was a great film. I'm personally not liking The Final. I don't enjoy watching violence for the sake of violence. It needs to have an actual story - something well written, interesting characters that I can identify with and be well acted. Kill Bill (the first one) was a fantastic revenge movie, but I'm not feeling much for this film except turned off. Even when I was growing up and being bullied, I never fantasized about doing anything like this....

The times that I was bullied....especially by the Music Teacher, I decided that I had suffered enough and spoke up. The teacher knew I was HOH and could not hear the notes and whatnot....As for other students, I stood my ground after enduring so much, enough was enough.

Don't let urself be bullied! If ignoring them does not work, then face up. I got my confidence back when I did.

I was also made fun of as a kid but oddly enough, it wasn't because of my HOH (that didn't happen until 3rd grade but no one knew I lost a little of it or noticed when it was gradually getting worse), it was because I was quiet, did what the teacher asked, always turned in my homework 100% of the time (I forgot 1 assignment once in 4th grade, it was a terrible feeling!!!) and I was ALWAYS reading books...they called me "nerd" and "geek" often and I got "loser" on occasion...they didn't seem to understand why I didn't change to be "normal"...When I got to college, I met all of the other "weirdos" from other schools and we had the best college experience ever...it was nice to meet people who understood me and cared about academia as much as I did...

I've actually had people that I was friends with in jr high/high school tell me after college how they admired me in high school because I had the guts to be myself and never changed myself...

I was also made fun of as a kid but oddly enough, it wasn't because of my HOH (that didn't happen until 3rd grade but no one knew I lost a little of it or noticed when it was gradually getting worse), it was because I was quiet, did what the teacher asked, always turned in my homework 100% of the time (I forgot 1 assignment once in 4th grade, it was a terrible feeling!!!) and I was ALWAYS reading books...they called me "nerd" and "geek" often and I got "loser" on occasion...they didn't seem to understand why I didn't change to be "normal"...When I got to college, I met all of the other "weirdos" from other schools and we had the best college experience ever...it was nice to meet people who understood me and cared about academia as much as I did...

I've actually had people that I was friends with in jr high/high school tell me after college how they admired me in high school because I had the guts to be myself and never changed myself...

You sound so much like my 17 yr. old....Straight A student and never been in any trouble, no drugs/alcohol or smoking either....My other 2 boys were extremely jealous...and gave him a very hard time...but he stuck to his guns!....He begins College after graduation from HS...and has a very bright future...I'm so proud of him I'm bursting from the seams....:giggle:...He's smart enough to know to study hard...stay away from drugs/alcohol.

The times that I was bullied....especially by the Music Teacher, I decided that I had suffered enough and spoke up. The teacher knew I was HOH and could not hear the notes and whatnot....As for other students, I stood my ground after enduring so much, enough was enough.

Don't let urself be bullied! If ignoring them does not work, then face up. I got my confidence back when I did.

Ugh this has happened to me at music class too. I had issues with my jaw too (underbite) and I played the flute. The teacher always picked on me because the way my flute was positioned. Also because I couldn't stand the high pitch notes. All the other flute players were fine during 'tune up' but once it became me? He asked me to repeat the note over and over again. Especially the high ones, knowing full well I couldn't either hear them or stand them.

Hmm....I don't recall very many teachers picking on me, but many of them were obviously very uncomfortable around me, treating me like a plague. One music teacher made me sit way in the back of the class, and complained that I did not listen, and could not figure out why I could not sing along with the class.

Just because people have a Master's degree or better in education, doesn't mean they have any common sense.

Back