Those Born 1930-1979

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Those Born 1930-1979 , READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO. IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---IT'S VERY WELL STATED.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930s, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms........
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno :
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

*nodding* VERY TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was born at 60s time.

So true!

I used to ride my bike everywhere or walk everywhere without thinking of predators. I would be playing outside for hours and hours without my parents fretting over me.

I remember standing up in the car many times and nothing ever happened to me :giggle:

I fell down from a tree in the yard many times and didn't hurt myself.

I sure missed 1970's.

I`am 45 years old. And I do remember "back in the day" I wish we could turn back time.:(

I did all that! even shot my little brother with BB gun...not in the eye though :rofl:
but I was born in 99!
J/k :giggle:

I did all that! even shot my little brother with BB gun...not in the eye though :rofl:
but I was born in 99!
J/k :giggle:

I even hooked my brother's skin near his eye with a fishing pole line! I also blew pepper into my younger sister's eye. We all survived such mishaps. Nowadays they would be hauling me away to jail :giggle:

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

I remember drinking water from the garden hose :lol: and the rest from the above except didn't eat the worms from the mudpies. How times have changed.

Threw a mudball once at my little brother and it went right in his mouth! So, I guess he's eaten mudpies....maybe that why he so strange nowadays. :giggle:

Lol! I was born in the 70's so it's true.

so true i played with dangerous like playing army after dark and walking on streets with no sidewalks i was born in '70s

yeah, i remembered my mom told me about her childhood before. I was actually jealous cos she born in 60's, aha. :D

But as for in 90's,
I still remembered I loved to play a simple playground with many kids when I was little toddler, espeically two best friends from Washington. We liked to dress a costume whatever we want to be. I was always hang out with my old friends until I was in middle school and everything was so changed in dark way (i dont want to talk about it..).

however, later, I realized I have NO idea why children rely on mini phone cells, playing a video game, and etc etc. Not much to play with kids, a such unlike my early childhood.. =/

So true! A 1970's baby here and man do I miss those days. If we as parents treated our kids they way we were treated then, we would all be in jail. The first thing people say if a child got hurt or something and was playing outside is "Where were the parents?"

Obviously, we have forgotten our times, when we could and usually did play outside all day long only coming home for eats. I think our kids would be better off in our times.

We took the paddles out of our schools and out of our homes, and now look what is happening! These children are now shooting up these schools. I know I myself, faced that paddle a few different times and I'm still alive and not emotionally traumatized from those paddlings.

I remember back then, we didnt learn about drugs till we were in high school. Now we got drug dealers targeting our elementary schools.

I also remember back then us kids, played the games of doctor or spin the bottle or even truth or dare, and we didnt have to worry about being dragged into court over a innocent childhood game and being called rapists for it.

I also remember back then that sex and violence on TV was mostly taboo. Unlike now and then we wonder why our children are as they are, compared to our generations.

Back then was a more innocent time and moral standards were upheld! I would love to go back to those times.

Oh my goodness I missed those good old days. I used to come home after dark cuz I was at the next street over so my mom knew where I was even I take off somewhere else but knew I would be back to the same place. LOL

I could remmy play under the light (the pole) at gas station with my cousins/childhood friends.

I could remmy I rode the bike somewhere then come back home late at night.

A can of coke was 25 cents. Archie Bunker was funny with all his antics and attitudes, giving the Meathead (his son-in-law) hassle about things. Cars were built better back then, too. Cops didn't carry pepperspray or stun guns, just a gun and billy club, which they never used (to my knowledge) and they were looked up to (to my knowledge) still, although they were called "Pigs" in the '60s.

Fast forward to 1991, when I first started driving school bus. Kids cannot, under any circumstance, be kicked off the bus. They have to be written up. Back when I was younger, you badmouth a bus driver, you were immediately kicked off. Oh, and the buses were orange with only the red light flashing. No heat, either! Fiberglass seats! :cold:

I would agree with you Pete except for one thing. Cars were not better then. Cars today are alot better. I remember my dad telling me that you were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of them back then. Today we can get 300,000 easy without having to replace engines if well taken care of.

That's true! Forgot about that! Plus, a car with 100K miles on it wa shot and rusted out (here in Minnesota).

In addition, we could whistle at a pretty woman and she wouldn't get offended. Do that now (I did a couple years ago), I got this :madfawk: instead. Women don't know what they're missing, although I imagine it was a bit much for the ugly women and they couldn't bear not being whistled at, so that ended that. Could ask a woman for a date, which was easier back then, today, I'm scared of getting sued.

About the woman that I whistled at . . . I'm willing to be that I was the only man who ever whistled at her, not to mention she was inside of an a/c car and other guys, too. LOL!

Back