This blog on deaf school in other countries

Lighthouse77

Reaction score
Cochlear Implant Online <---- here is a school who decided to do something right, and these CI advocate comes along and want to screw it up. They can't give deaf people a break, can they? Especially in poor countries.

In your opinion, what are they(CI advocates) doing wrong?

These people are poor and the last thing you want them is to rely on technologies to get around to survive so just because the gov't pay for their school doesn't mean they HAVE to have FM systems and such. The gov't is doing the best they can to make sure they have education. they don't have the resource to help them access spoken language which these people can't access to after they leave school (too expensive to rely on techology too much). . And there is nothing wrong with sign languages, and I think people there know very well that hearing aids is not useful enough to waste their money on when they have sign language. And there is nothing wrong with bi-bi education so she doesn't need to go around planting "seeds".

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with schools using sign language when teaching so what is this lady's issue? She said it was unfortunate.

I see the move from TC to BI-BI as an advantage for these Costa Rican students. I wish more schools in the U.S. would do the same.

You know what I find ironic? Any time one calls these CI advocates audist in their views, they loudly proclaim that they are not audist. Then articles like this keep popping up and prove that they are.

Yes indeedy..........I've read articles like this in Volta Voices. They have the attitude that ALL it takes is some technology, technology and even more technology and dhh kids will ALL be on a par with hearing kids.
Seriously, professionals do not understand that even kids in THIS country may have difficulty even affording pricey health care.
Technology makes dhh kids healthcare AND technology dependant. Sometimes I wonder if it weren't for the profit factor with technology, if oral only and teh latest gizmo would be pushed.

Sometimes I wonder if it weren't for the profit factor with technology, if oral only and teh latest gizmo would be pushed.

I dunno, you'd think that after 12 sets of PE tubes in a country with publically funded healthcare the doctors would look favourably on a request to take hearing aids instead. After alll, a couple of sets of tubes are not a high profit margin and surgery costs a fortune. But they wanted to press on with no. 13 and no. 14 instead, because isn't it "always better" to "cure" the hearing loss rather than have him wear hearing aids, and won't he get bullied for his hearing aids? :rl:

So it still seems to be very technology-led in places where the state will foot the bill and where they are being as tight as possible with money. Kids can still have 2 CIs if they want them (and are candidates). The equipment providers probably leaned on them a fair bit, but then the same board is saying no to some anti-cancer drugs so there must be an underlying belief that the nearer you can get to hearing the better.

I see the move from TC to BI-BI as an advantage for these Costa Rican students. I wish more schools in the U.S. would do the same.

You know what I find ironic? Any time one calls these CI advocates audist in their views, they loudly proclaim that they are not audist. Then articles like this keep popping up and prove that they are.

No shit. Those people are all about what goes in the ears and go out the mouth.

I dunno, you'd think that after 12 sets of PE tubes in a country with publically funded healthcare the doctors would look favourably on a request to take hearing aids instead. After alll, a couple of sets of tubes are not a high profit margin and surgery costs a fortune. But they wanted to press on with no. 13 and no. 14 instead, because isn't it "always better" to "cure" the hearing loss rather than have him wear hearing aids, and won't he get bullied for his hearing aids? :rl:

So it still seems to be very technology-led in places where the state will foot the bill and where they are being as tight as possible with money. Kids can still have 2 CIs if they want them (and are candidates). The equipment providers probably leaned on them a fair bit, but then the same board is saying no to some anti-cancer drugs so there must be an underlying belief that the nearer you can get to hearing the better.

You have to remember, it isn't always better to have CI in poorer countries. They still need mapping, batteries, repairs, etc. If they don't have that, then they are stuck with no hearing at all. .... and no Sign Language either because their school system depended Spoken Language too much.

btw, more likely they say no to anti-cancer because they don't think it will work. after dealing my mother's breast cancer, it's more complex then you think. Some anti-cancer will harm people.

You have to remember, it isn't always better to have CI in poorer countries. They still need mapping, batteries, repairs, etc. If they don't have that, then they are stuck with no hearing at all. .... and no Sign Language either because their school system depended Spoken Language too much.

btw, more likely they say no to anti-cancer because they don't think it will work. after dealing my mother's breast cancer, it's more complex then you think. Some anti-cancer will harm people.

No, I mean they say no to funding anti-cancer drugs that people have remortgaged their houses to purchase out of pocket and have been taking without incident, or who have been taking through an insurance plan which has now cut them off. They say that the expenditure doesn't justify the additional life expecatancy. If you are waiting for your grandchild to be born then 3 months buys you an awful lot of time.

No, I mean they say no to funding anti-cancer drugs that people have remortgaged their houses to purchase out of pocket and have been taking without incident, or who have been taking through an insurance plan which has now cut them off. They say that the expenditure doesn't justify the additional life expecatancy. If you are waiting for your grandchild to be born then 3 months buys you an awful lot of time.

Sometimes it shortened it because it does kill the good stuffs in your body just to kill the bad stuffs. That's what make treating cancer so hard. Plus, if someone have only 3 months to live, more likely their kidney and liver is slowly shutting down, and putting all these chemicals in your body speed up death because their organs can't handle it. That's what I've seen with my mother during her last three months before death. Everything she took make it worst. If you say it will buy them an extra year or so, then I see your point. But buying anything less than 6 months just tell me that this person is very near their death and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

Nothing wrong with schools using sign language when teaching so what is this lady's issue? She said it was unfortunate.

Seems to me the author was referring to the use of mixed gestures/spoken language instead of pure sign (LESCO) as unfortunate in one case, and then to the fact that CI kids were not accepted into the school as unfortunate. I didn't see where she referred to the use of sign language as unfortunate.

Last edited:
I was referring this:
Second, I respect the decision to choose this path IF AND ONLY IF it is the PARENTS’ informed choice. If parents realize the outcomes of the various approaches, understand what they will need to do to help their child succeed, and understand the life-long ramifications of communication choices, then they are able to make the appropriate choice for their child and their family. In this case, however, parents do not have options for mode of communication, educational setting, or even the type or number of hearing aids or cochlear implants their children receive. Unfortunately, schools using sign language are the only option for public education for children with hearing loss. If parents want listening and spoken language, they must pay for private schools and therapies – obviously, this prohibits all but the most wealthy families from having free choice in their child’s education.

Poor family and country can not afford accommodations, hearing tools, batteries, etc. When they leave school, they less likely to have any help. Jobs won't accommodate them any better than they would with deaf people who sign. Even for the wealthy deaf. Sign Language is as free as you can get because they can communicate with each other. And if hearing learn to be more acceptable of sign language, they can communicate with them too (instead of putting ASL on the back burner and focus on speech) . It's very economical and beneficial for both gov't and the deaf to support Sign Language in deaf school and not confuse the system or the students too much with too many methods... Unless the deaf have a disability that make it hard on him to learn normally in deaf school.

I was referring this:

Poor family and country can not afford accommodations, hearing tools, batteries, etc. When they leave school, they less likely to have any help. Jobs won't accommodate them any better than they would with deaf people who sign. Even for the wealthy deaf. Sign Language is as free as you can get because they can communicate with each other. And if hearing learn to be more acceptable of sign language, they can communicate with them too (instead of putting ASL on the back burner and focus on speech) . It's very economical and beneficial for both gov't and the deaf to support Sign Language in deaf school and not confuse the system or the students too much with too many methods... Unless the deaf have a disability that make it hard on him to learn normally in deaf school.

Ding. Ding.

How many adults here have broken their hearing aids, or have been in positions where they can't afford anything for hearing aids and CIs?

Back