Thinking about switching to StraightTalk

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know I should get a wide variety of opinions, which is what I want. I am thinking about switching to Straight Talk to cut my phone bill down. I currently use Verizon's prepaid service on my iPhone 4, I know that will not be able to use the phone on ST because Verizon keeps these phones locked unless you are going overseas. I also understand that there are limitations to Straight Talk services, such as being throttled at a 2GB data cap to the point of being unusable, and there is a chance that the service will be more spotty than Verizon's prepaid coverage depending on the phone model being used on ST. I am hoping to get a CDMA-V ST phone because it will use Verizon's MVNO network. I will try to avoid any GSM based phones because ATT service is not good here.

I am looking for some good feedback on what your experience has been with ST. I live in a rural area with an almost daily commute to a more populated area near the interstate.

I have read of more problems with Straight Talk than good things. You might want to read as much of the Straight Talk section of Howard Forums as you can at: Straight Talk

The one that really has a good reputation and uses Verizon Towers is Page Plus. The limitation to any Verizon MVNO is that the phone cannot have been sold as a "Prepaid" phone and cannot be a LIT phone. I don't think that the iPhone 4 was sold as part of their prepaid lineup so could be used on this. I have had a phone on PP for a number of years with no problems. There is a section on Howard Forums for PP as well. Page Plus Cellular

Another place for good information about PagePlus is Kitty Forums
These forums are sponsored by a Page Plus dealer but I have found the people that post there reliable and very interested in helping.

I know I should get a wide variety of opinions, which is what I want. I am thinking about switching to Straight Talk to cut my phone bill down. I currently use Verizon's prepaid service on my iPhone 4, I know that will not be able to use the phone on ST because Verizon keeps these phones locked unless you are going overseas. I also understand that there are limitations to Straight Talk services, such as being throttled at a 2GB data cap to the point of being unusable, and there is a chance that the service will be more spotty than Verizon's prepaid coverage depending on the phone model being used on ST. I am hoping to get a CDMA-V ST phone because it will use Verizon's MVNO network. I will try to avoid any GSM based phones because ATT service is not good here.

I am looking for some good feedback on what your experience has been with ST. I live in a rural area with an almost daily commute to a more populated area near the interstate.

I personally know a friend who has an iPhone 5 with Straight Talk, and right now, it's pretty badly messed up, and I would strongly advise against this.

If you're looking for reliable phone service, yet prepaid, you may want try one of these three:

Cell Phones | Cell Phone Service Companies | Cricket Wireless

Prepaid Cell Phones & No Contract Cell Phones | Boost Mobile

Prepaid Unlimited Cell Phones - No Contract Phones & Plans | Virgin Mobile

Now, the first one I use, and is very reliable here in Chicago and when I visit Southern IL, but I'm not sure about the others, though.

I personally know a friend who has an iPhone 5 with Straight Talk, and right now, it's pretty badly messed up, and I would strongly advise against this.

If you're looking for reliable phone service, yet prepaid, you may want try one of these three:

Now, the first one I use, and is very reliable here in Chicago and when I visit Southern IL, but I'm not sure about the others, though.

Are you still a virgin?

I have checked the coverage maps for these carriers, and none of them have service in my area. The two main carriers here are AT&T and Verizon. Out of those two, Verizon has the best coverage. Thus, why I am curious about anyone who uses the Verizon MVNO network through Straight Talk.

It seems that for the time being - I will be better off to stick with my current prepaid Verizon plan.

I have checked the coverage maps for these carriers, and none of them have service in my area. The two main carriers here are AT&T and Verizon. Out of those two, Verizon has the best coverage. Thus, why I am curious about anyone who uses the Verizon MVNO network through Straight Talk.

It seems that for the time being - I will be better off to stick with my current prepaid Verizon plan.

Same here. Only ATT and Verizon are great coverage in my area but Verizon have MORE LTE coverage than ATT.

LOL! I had to asked since you talked about "virgin" mobile.

What thing?

Thing? What did you think I was talking about?

As for Virgin Mobile, I discovered that Boost Mobile actually does sell their phones, which was interesting to note. Plus, I helped interpret for a friend, and they said that if a person paid on time six times, they would get $5 off their next bill. Here's how it works:

Phone bill is $55/month.

Six months of on-time payment it goes down to $50.

Six more months it shrinks to $45.

Another six months later, it shrinks again to $40.

That's 18 months of on-time payment with the possibility to save up to $15 on your phone bill. That, and prices are incredibly cheap-- far cheaper than Cricket, T-mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Not sure about Apple, though.

Cock? Anal? Oral? :dunno:

Dear goodness. I'm talking about leaving my manhood where it is; think I mentioned that some time ago. And as for my preference, I'm not about to announce THAT to the entire world, thank you. I don't need a bunch of requests from people, not until I feel the time is right, and I've got the feeling that's gonna be sooner than I'd like.

Never knew about that. Thank you.

No problem, I went back and pulled the email up I got with all the info on it I'll just paste the text here in case any one is affected ...
it's dated Sept 26, 2013:

Dear XXXXX XXXXXX,

As you may know, AT&T recently acquired Alltel Wireless. I would like to personally welcome you to the AT&T family! We're committed to delivering the best possible wireless experience and look forward to keeping you connected for years to come.

How does this impact your service?
At this time, you don't need to do anything — there are no changes to your phone number, rate plan, network coverage, customer service or how you pay your Alltel bill. You may continue to add lines and upgrade your devices as you do today.

What happens next?
We will upgrade the wireless network in your area and combine the strength of your local Alltel coverage with AT&T's nationwide 4G network. Once the network upgrade is complete, Contract customers will receive a free comparable phone with no time added to your existing contract. When you transition to AT&T, you'll keep your number and for the vast majority of Contract customers, your replacement device will come with an AT&T rate plan and features that are comparable or better than what you have today. No Contract customers with prepaid service will receive special offers when they transition to AT&T prepaid phones and rate plans.

When will you know more?
We have just begun the work required to transition the wireless network and customer support systems from Alltel to AT&T. These changes will take several months to complete. However, we're committed to keeping you informed as the transition from Alltel to AT&T in your area progresses. Early next year, you will receive information about your new AT&T device options, along with ordering instructions. Until then, please visit att.com/alltel for more information and the latest transition updates.

Once again, I'd like to welcome you to AT&T. We look forward to serving you!

Sincerely,

Leighton Carroll
AVP — Acquired Markets

No problem, I went back and pulled the email up I got with all the info on it I'll just paste the text here in case any one is affected ...
it's dated Sept 26, 2013:

Dear XXXXX XXXXXX,

As you may know, AT&T recently acquired Alltel Wireless. I would like to personally welcome you to the AT&T family! We're committed to delivering the best possible wireless experience and look forward to keeping you connected for years to come.

How does this impact your service?
At this time, you don't need to do anything — there are no changes to your phone number, rate plan, network coverage, customer service or how you pay your Alltel bill. You may continue to add lines and upgrade your devices as you do today.

What happens next?
We will upgrade the wireless network in your area and combine the strength of your local Alltel coverage with AT&T's nationwide 4G network. Once the network upgrade is complete, Contract customers will receive a free comparable phone with no time added to your existing contract. When you transition to AT&T, you'll keep your number and for the vast majority of Contract customers, your replacement device will come with an AT&T rate plan and features that are comparable or better than what you have today. No Contract customers with prepaid service will receive special offers when they transition to AT&T prepaid phones and rate plans.

When will you know more?
We have just begun the work required to transition the wireless network and customer support systems from Alltel to AT&T. These changes will take several months to complete. However, we're committed to keeping you informed as the transition from Alltel to AT&T in your area progresses. Early next year, you will receive information about your new AT&T device options, along with ordering instructions. Until then, please visit att.com/alltel for more information and the latest transition updates.

Once again, I'd like to welcome you to AT&T. We look forward to serving you!

Sincerely,

Leighton Carroll
AVP — Acquired Markets

Alltel was a Little Rock, AR based wireless communications service provider. They sold out back in the mid-2000's with Verizon acquiring most of their major markets. AT&T has since acquired some of the markets that Verizon did not need. I have a relative that worked on the inside of the Verizon acquisition of Alltel. In all it took two years for the deal to be completed and a n additional two years for the contracts to be fully taken over by Verizon. I was an Alltel customer on a contract phone when this took place. I was happy with my Alltel phone but sadly the phone was damaged in an accident and had to be replaced. When this occurred, not only did I have to buy a Verizon headset (aka phone), my bill also increased to match the Verizon pricing. AT&T was already notorious for having poor coverage in my area so I stuck with Verizon. I was told by my relative that Verizon would be releasing a 4G network before it was officially announced. I am just waiting for the day when Verizon will do away with contracts altogether and allow customers to purchase phones outright and select which plan they want their phone to operate on.

Right now I am using an 8GB iPhone 4 on a $70 plan through Verizon wireless. It is a much better deal than a postpaid plan. On my postpaid plan I was paying $100/mo. for unlimited voice and text and unlimited data, which usually got throttled at around 2GB to the point of being unusable. On my prepaid plan, I get unlimited voice and text, and 4GB of data access on the 3G network for $70. I'm laughing at people who are paying $100+/mo for 2GB of data on the 3G network on a 3G phone.

I also hope that at some point I will be able to get the iPhone 5 on Verizon's prepaid plan. Why? Because I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and the hardware BARELY supports the software. The iPhone 5 hardware is more readily capable of handling the demands of iOS 7. I would not be surprised if this is the last and final iOS that the iPhone 4 will be eligible for. Apple has already discontinued producing the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5.

Alltel was a Little Rock, AR based wireless communications service provider. They sold out back in the mid-2000's with Verizon acquiring most of their major markets. AT&T has since acquired some of the markets that Verizon did not need. I have a relative that worked on the inside of the Verizon acquisition of Alltel. In all it took two years for the deal to be completed and a n additional two years for the contracts to be fully taken over by Verizon. I was an Alltel customer on a contract phone when this took place. I was happy with my Alltel phone but sadly the phone was damaged in an accident and had to be replaced. When this occurred, not only did I have to buy a Verizon headset (aka phone), my bill also increased to match the Verizon pricing. AT&T was already notorious for having poor coverage in my area so I stuck with Verizon. I was told by my relative that Verizon would be releasing a 4G network before it was officially announced. I am just waiting for the day when Verizon will do away with contracts altogether and allow customers to purchase phones outright and select which plan they want their phone to operate on.

Right now I am using an 8GB iPhone 4 on a $70 plan through Verizon wireless. It is a much better deal than a postpaid plan. On my postpaid plan I was paying $100/mo. for unlimited voice and text and unlimited data, which usually got throttled at around 2GB to the point of being unusable. On my prepaid plan, I get unlimited voice and text, and 4GB of data access on the 3G network for $70. I'm laughing at people who are paying $100+/mo for 2GB of data on the 3G network on a 3G phone.

I also hope that at some point I will be able to get the iPhone 5 on Verizon's prepaid plan. Why? Because I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and the hardware BARELY supports the software. The iPhone 5 hardware is more readily capable of handling the demands of iOS 7. I would not be surprised if this is the last and final iOS that the iPhone 4 will be eligible for. Apple has already discontinued producing the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5.

I'm hoping to someday get a nice tablet for Sorenson VRS purposes, and I was considering switching my phone, but I've decided to hold off on that until the springtime, and considering my options now, I could try and stop by Sears this week to see what's being offered.

I'm hoping to someday get a nice tablet for Sorenson VRS purposes, and I was considering switching my phone, but I've decided to hold off on that until the springtime, and considering my options now, I could try and stop by Sears this week to see what's being offered.

Why a tablet? Couldn't you use a computer with a webcam? Its kind of hard to sign and hold a tablet at the same time.

Oh yeah, don't make yourself available to everyone at all times. Its actually quite liberating to just flat not feel like you have to be reached by anyone, anywhere, at any time. Go for a walk, enjoy a meal without interruption, watch a TV show. There is a wonderful life beyond the boxed in screen.

Why a tablet? Couldn't you use a computer with a webcam? Its kind of hard to sign and hold a tablet at the same time.

Oh yeah, don't make yourself available to everyone at all times. Its actually quite liberating to just flat not feel like you have to be reached by anyone, anywhere, at any time. Go for a walk, enjoy a meal without interruption, watch a TV show. There is a wonderful life beyond the boxed in screen.

Because my ntouch mobile needs a bigger screen, that's why. It's not easy to use a small webcam phone as a VP. I don't need a fancy tablet, mind you; I just want something that'll work well.

And I do already have ntouch PC, so that's not the problem. The problem is that my current house Wi-Fi situation sucks.

And I would be watching TV right now if my cable bill wasn't standing at $98.48 for next month. The next bill is gonna frigging break my bank-- literally.

Back