Thinking about getting an CI....

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
I am thinking about an CI alot lately since my son Nathan was born. My husband Jeremy told me that he wish I could hear the little things that Nathan does. It broke my heart because I have HA but didnt hear that much. I only hear Nathan cooing and crying but not other little noises that he makes. I just would wanna hear alot of noises that he makes and I want to hear that he says I love you Mommy to me. :( :( I sign and talk alot with Nathan.. I just want to hear first noises and words from my baby. If I get CI, my family would think that I am doing it for them and think it cures my deafness but it's not. I am doing this for myself and want to hear alot of things from my son and future babies. I used to reject the idea of CI and told my parents that I didnt want CI. The problem is that I am scared of surgery and other bad things that could happen to me like the negative sides of CI. I never had surgery in my entire life!!!! :eek2: I am still not sure about getting an CI though.. I need to talk to my husband about this and do alot of research and lots of things to think about it for a while. It's not a easy decision though. I wonder what it was like for deaf parent(s) to hear their child(ren) 's first words and noises when they first got CI??? Please share it with us.. thanks!!!

The process of getting a CI is sometimes a long road because the CI and the insurance company (yours) have to go over details on the payment agreements, etc. How much you will pay or not...and the CI assessment section. You're required to go through an assessment series of tests to ensure that you're a prime candidate for a CI...also check the cochlea of both ears -- to ensure they're not ossified -- if ossified, it's harder to do the surgery due to the bony growth on the cochlea.
If you want to ask questions about the processes of getting a CI locally - find the local CI clinic and ask questions and set up appointments with them and go from there.

I hope you'll find it OK.

The cochlear implant is begin good thing than what the hearing aids. I have a friend who is single mother and heard another than just my friend. A several of mother who is deaf and wore the hearing aids. Sometime when the boy/girl asked mother when he/she heard something and said, "Mom, what that noise I hear?" You might heard with your hearing aids but might now. I didn't mean negative or boo at mother who have same stuff about my friend. Since I am not married and I don't have baby yet. I will get idea feel like to be if I don't have cochlear implant at this moment. Cochlear implant isn't that bad step to start. If you are processing think about it. Just simple thing to do is... find the cochlear implant doctor. I am sending you private message of doctor lists.

The hearing aids might be good as I think I was. When my hair cell is not get well and stuff like that I have not heard as I used to. So I hope cochlear implant will improve my hearing and my speech skilled.

I want you know that there nothing be afriad and everyone been into surgery. It can be exciting moment after all your ear has healed. Your skull have no nerves only your skin and muscle. I can tell you is 1 percent who is dizzy more than 2 weeks, 1 percent who is not able heal the skin, 1 precent is lost balance more than 1 week. It had effect which already happen to me: hear the ringing sound, dizzy for 1 and half week, and skin is well healing process. I got one negative about my face. I got a med pill that will return my face back normal. Yes it was scared at first.

What do you like to know about cochlear implant surgery and before and after? I can find link website for you. :)

Here I want shared with you about insurance:
If your health insurance is HMO, no problem. If your health insurance is PPO, Ins paid 80% (most common), and 20% you are responible. However, the cochlear implant is surgery stand as outpatient mean you will stay or sent home depend under your ear doctor. The outpatient can be 100 percent paid. I learn from my job that what I am working as private insurance. Also, I do not know which one of you or husabnd is hold primary of health insurance. If you just found out about that insurance doesn't cover due PPO or your/husabnd's work have two choice for end of year to re-enroll new insurance provided: PPO, EPO or HMO.

Wild..that is the very reason why I got my CI because of my two hearing daughters. I now can hear them cry or whatever..it really helps a lot but of course I do use ASL with them. I can hear them laughing or talking now.

Best of luck to you :)

If you really want it, that's up to you. The only concerns that come to mind is the commitment of wearing it all the time, the restrictions you will have after getting it, and the attitude you might develop when getting it. A lot of my friends wear it. Some got it, then after a month to a year... they stopped wearing it or always forgot to wear it. Some had to give up specific sports because of it. Some couldn't even ride specific rides at amusement parks because of it. Some others changed their attitude towards other... like not signing any more, hanging out with hearing people more, avoiding deaf people, etc. I've lost a few friends to CIs and it wasn't pleasant. If you do get it, it's important to stay true to yourself.

VamPyroX said:
If you really want it, that's up to you. The only concerns that come to mind is the commitment of wearing it all the time, the restrictions you will have after getting it, and the attitude you might develop when getting it. A lot of my friends wear it. Some got it, then after a month to a year... they stopped wearing it or always forgot to wear it. Some had to give up specific sports because of it. Some couldn't even ride specific rides at amusement parks because of it. Some others changed their attitude towards other... like not signing any more, hanging out with hearing people more, avoiding deaf people, etc. I've lost a few friends to CIs and it wasn't pleasant. If you do get it, it's important to stay true to yourself.

That what I agree about the sport issue but the amusement park. I will just put BTE in my pocket and have fun! :)

Well when I read your sentence:

Some others changed their attitude towards other... like not signing any more, hanging out with hearing people more, avoiding deaf people, etc.

Yes quiet true, I am afriad about that subject because I am happy who am I. It made no different between CI and Hearing Aids since I wore it. Since your friend might "grow-up" or stay "immature" or "stay young". Sorry if I sound judge because that what happen to me when I lost my friends due they called me that I act "grow-up". Which they don't like it.

it's important to stay true to yourself

Yes amen to that one of true to yourself and ourselve. I don't understand why they have to change who they were. :(

hi wildkatress...

I feel ya.. I'm in same shoes as you are.. i choose to get CI so i can hear what my son's saying.. it really breaks my heart when the interpreter came for a visit with a speech therpist tells me what he's saying.. i just wish i could hear him from the begin till 2 yrs old...

now i'm on the road into getting it.. and my first test is oct 12.. can't hardly wait.

Also.. insurance will try any ways to decline that.. but ur cochlear audiologist and surgeon will write a note of reason why u need it and send it to insurance.. most of them will accept it.

Back