The truth about me, Fuzzy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I yam what I yam."

-Popeye-

Travis, look at the signature of Fuzzy, that should help clear the question you asked. Fuzzy quotes Mohandas Karmchand Gandi. Mr. Gandi used peaceful civil disobedience to fight oppression. This is called passive resistance. Mr. Gandi began his last fast (not eating in protest) praying for Indian Unity. Sadly, he was shot before he could complete this mission.
I think it would take more that Mr. Gandi to unify the Deaf. (ducking and running)

I do it because supportive I best question to her I do best, I lots of figure out y mind! I understand reading more deep understand Don't worry I can help supportive!

To hit a bulls eye -
bullseye.jpg

it means that you hit the spot and you were 100% right
- about what you said about using ASL and speaking as having ways of
more communication.

ASL is one, speaking is another one.
Having both you have TWO ways of communicating available to you.
Knowing only ASL, or only speaking, you have only one way.

Fuzzy

I understand :) I clear understand pretty 100% I am good experience oral and ASL :) of course I communication!

Regarding hearing aid trials: yes.

GrendelQ - I said "this topic has been debated here on AD many times" and now you're saying "oh, those debates YOU'VE had" as if you had nothing to do whatsoever with those debates. I could have sworn I've seen you participate in such discussions. Am I imagining things?

:hmm: Not sure what you are arguing with me about. I gave you a straightforward answer to a pretty straightforward question that I've not seen as something controversial or debated, unlike tons of other topics. You asked how it's determined whether or if an infant can pick up and comprehend speech with hearing aids. They conduct actual and often lengthy trials and repeated assessments with the child using HAs, even for those whose hearing level tests (using several approaches) beyond what could be conceivably be amplified to capture the range of speech sounds. It's not just theoretical or based on unaided db level in a booth -- it's months of actual use and tinkering, with a range of assessments, reflecting what the child can respond to HAs in his or her everyday real world, as well as in controlled environments.

:hmm: Not sure what you are arguing with me about. I gave you a straightforward answer to a pretty straightforward question that I've not seen as something controversial or debated, unlike tons of other topics. You asked how it's determined whether or if an infant can pick up and comprehend speech with hearing aids. They conduct actual and often lengthy trials and repeated assessments with the child using HAs, even for those whose hearing level tests (using several approaches) beyond what could be conceivably be amplified to capture the range of speech sounds. It's not just theoretical or based on unaided db level in a booth -- it's months of actual use and tinkering, with a range of assessments, reflecting what the child can respond to HAs in his or her everyday real world, as well as in controlled environments.

How can you tell if a 6 month old, or a 9 month old can understand speech with HA's? you cant... they are implanting young children, VERY young... 6 months is currently the youngest.

Nice side-stepping.

It takes months of analysis before they determine if an infant cannot pick up speech sounds with hearing aids?

don't they implant as young as six months? Considering many parents are unaware their babies have a hearing loss till about around age 1, i'm rather impressed that doctors and parents can tell a newborn infant has a hearing problem before implanting them at six months.

I can pick up speech with my hearing aids. I also qualify for a CI. So, apparently, the hard and fast rule that if kids can hear with hearing aids, they won't qualify for a CI is not really accurate, is it?

All right. If hearing aids are very beneficial to my future child, do I still have to implant a CI on him/her?

Now, if the hearing aids are very sufficient then like someone said the baby does not qualify for CI.
But I think I know what you want to ask me.

You want to know whether or not it is worth to implant a baby before even knowing how much success they can have with just a HA later in life?
Good question. Even I don't know how to answer that.
I guess I would have to take a risk in either way, depending on circumstances.
For example, what if the hearing will be totally lost before age of 3? what if before age of 7?
Will the benefits still be as great?

Yes, it's a risk to be taken. There is many risks to be taken under consideration while thinking of CI.

So, to simply this discussion, let's settle on babies who for sure need CI.

The thing is, to stop thinking of CI like this is some evil incarnated.
While I understand where the problems lies- in denying implanted children access to ASL and the deaf community - please realize that THIS is the problem, not in the CI itself.

The CI itself is useful tool, like HAs. Used well, it can enrich the life of the deaf person, make it easier and more interesting.

Only the mass hysteria and mis-information surrounding the CI make it into something it is so totally not.
It's the parents who should be educated. It's the doctors who should be educated. It's the audis who should be educated. That CI-ed children needs to be taught ASL and be in deaf community equally.

CI? Ci is just a tool. Depends in which hands, it can be used well, or not.

Fuzzy

apparently irony is completely and totally lost on you. I put that there for a reason. Sigh.

Or maybe I chose otherwise - has it ever occurred to you?

But you know what?
If you don't have anything constructive to add on the subject in this discussion - REAL subject, as opposed to attacking me personally (as usual),
why don't you find something else to do, hmm?

Fuzzy

I Know on debate reason cocern because risk pretty! personal attack because implentaton clean up reason otherwise correct to forum. I aware it debate, it is very pretty tough! I believe it guess, many people ad, I ma honest to numberous resist to negative, I am straight to believe it control on and politic!

I was younger I was hearing aid because oral becuase and ESL, because teacher never teach me I do what teach me lots of limit access on communication because Education I knew history I experience voice oral and speech and supportive on change better improve ASL!

So, to simply this discussion, let's settle on babies who for sure need CI.

the bolded word is the word I have the biggest problem with... no one NEEDS a CI... it is not a life or death situation... Americans have a problem with understanding the difference between Need and Want...

No one needs speech.

Everyone needs language. Everyone needs communication.

Deafbajagal needs chocolate. (Not really relevant, but who cares.)

No one needs speech.

Everyone needs language. Everyone needs communication.

Deafbajagal needs chocolate. (Not really relevant, but who cares.)

that is true I agree totally!

Oh wow...

apparently this thread was created because of what I said about Fuzzy in another thread about her supporting the oral-only philosophy.

Fuzzy, how can it be a lie when I honestly thought you did support that philosophy all this time?

And I have apologized to you in the other thread.

If you think I am out to get you, you can put me on ignore.

At least I will admit my mistake for thinking wrongly of Fuzzy.

This thread was created because you weren't the only one mis-interpreting me.
As for lying, I repeatedly explained many and many times over:
I AM NOT AN AUDIST - the question is, did you listen?

Did ANYBODY ever listen?

Also, when one person starts something like that, it spreads like wildfire.

I've had had it, so I decided to do something about it.

Last thing I need now, is to deal with hurt feelings of people who created this mess in the first place.
I am sorry if what I am saying now you don't like, but.. it's the truth.

Kindly please think of MY hurt feelings, too.

After all, you apologized after I started this thread (I think),
and I accepted your apology and expressed my desire to move past this- can we truly do it? CAN we? please?

Fuzzy

Just Fuzzy out to try confuse the masses. It's not working.

LYING AGAIN to save your OWN SKIN, eh?

how honorable....

I disdain you...

Fuzzy

What really bother me the most is that the medical community and the hearing parents want to force their babies early so that the babies will not miss the sounds or noises in the hearing environment. It is not going to hurt the babies without sounds. I just don't like the idea of surgery itself when it is not an emergency or in critical condition. Like Ash345, there is a difference between a need and want. Living without sounds since birth is helping us cope with every day environment.

I did not have my first hearing aid until I was almost 9 years old. I don't know how I communicate but I get by pretty well. So it is not necessary to have the babies get CI so early. What happen if the CI is not working right or not successful. The baby will have to suffer with the device still in the cochlear for the rest of their life unless there is money to take the CI out. That is why hearing aids is better not have to worry about CI surgery. Of course, other deaf babies or children may not get the benefit of having hearing aids but they can live by without hearing the sounds.

What we would like is to learn to communicate is by ASL. ASL help a lot to all of us, Deafies. That is why I don't support oral-only program in most mainstream schools. Lipreading is not accurate and we get lost many times over. As for listening, it might be okay for some of them to listen around family members that they are accustom to. But to strangers or going to every classrooms, it is still difficult to understand what they are saying unless it is a one to one.

LYING AGAIN to save your OWN SKIN, eh?

how honorable....

I disdain you...

Fuzzy

Knock yourself out. If I was the only one that "spread lies" about you.... I can understand this post....

But like more than a few "spread lies" about you.... I'd take a closer look at myself if I were you. :cool2:

It doesn't help you much that you have a harsh personality.

PfH is right, Fuzzy. You have a way of getting others to disdain you. Be watchful of how you are presenting yourself, IF you truly want others to respect your positions. My advice. I usually charge $120 a session, but it's yours for free. Take it or leave it. Up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back