The truth about me, Fuzzy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

it is not factually correct. The majority of deaf stdents do not end up at a signing deaf school after "failing" in the mainstream. That just isn't true.

Nothing you post is factually correct. You never have facts to back up what you say. You post nothing but your distorted personal perceptions based on your experience with one deaf child, and then are self consumed enough to expect everyone to accept it as fact and expertise.

You want to participate in these discussions, start educating yourself instead of living in that limited world you have created for yourself. Look around at others. It ain't about you.

you don't actually disagree with me in this post, you simply insult me. So, is it true that most deaf kids "hit the 4th grade wall" and move to Deaf schools, as DD has claimed?

Wirelessly posted

you don't actually disagree with me in this post, you simply insult me. So, is it true that most deaf kids "hit the 4th grade wall" and move to Deaf schools, as DD has claimed?

Um I never claimed that most orally skilled deaf kids transfer to Deaf Schools. BUT, there are still quite a few oral kids who do so. Heck, many of them may transfer to regional dhh programs and learn ASL.....And yes, it is true that oral kids hit the fourth grade wall.

Wirelessly posted

DD never claimed that.

Um I never claimed that most orally skilled deaf kids transfer to Deaf Schools. BUT, there are still quite a few oral kids who do so. Heck, many of them may transfer to regional dhh programs and learn ASL.....And yes, it is true that oral kids hit the fourth grade wall.

Yep.

Ohhhhh....something I just thought of faire joure, what percentage of oral deaf kids attend the private oral schools? I am not surprised that you're seeing amazing stuff....but that's due to the private school effect. Heck, you yourself on your blog stated that your public school oral program wasn't exactly ideal. Also, how many kids that CID/Moog/ St. Josephs via EI are deaf? (meaning severe and worse hearing) I know they serve hoh kids....even in their preschool. I ALSO know that both Sunshine Cottage and Tucker-Maxon accept kids with hearing loss (meaning everything from mild to worse) in their school programs. Kids with mild and hoh losses have traditionally been the most mainstreamed.....if kids with mild and hoh losses are attending deaf schools now, it really says something about the state of mainstream education.

Why put many deaf kids at that kind of risk in the first place anyway? It is stupid.

Also, I wonder if the reason why the private oral schools are pretty much dying is b/c of insurance issues. I remember reading on the St. Joseph's site that a large percentage of the tution can be covered by insurance. Insurance costs are SKY HIGH. ...Only the most generous insurance plans can cover things like tution/world class speech therapy at a really good oral school. (AND, it's not just the K-8 ones that are closing.....after all one of the Moog preschools closed, and so did Nebraska Speech School)
I know for example that Mary Hare in the UK is going along just fine...it's not as huge as it was years ago, no. But maybe the fact that our health care system is so capitalist and, private speech therapy is dying. Oral schools are basicly giant speech therapy centers.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Ohhhhh....something I just thought of faire joure, what percentage of oral deaf kids attend the private oral schools? I am not surprised that you're seeing amazing stuff....but that's due to the private school effect. Heck, you yourself on your blog stated that your public school oral program wasn't exactly ideal. Also, how many kids that CID/Moog/ St. Josephs via EI are deaf? (meaning severe and worse hearing) I know they serve hoh kids....even in their preschool. I ALSO know that both Sunshine Cottage and Tucker-Maxon accept kids with hearing loss (meaning everything from mild to worse) in their school programs. Kids with mild and hoh losses have traditionally been the most mainstreamed.....if kids with mild and hoh losses are attending deaf schools now, it really says something about the state of mainstream education.

i think my daughter's school says that 80% of the kids they serve have CIs (or are in the process of getting one).
so, DD which is it? Are the kids in the private schools failing or doing really well because they are in a very good school?

Mod Note:

Time to move on folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back