The Talking Deafie

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a nice rhetorical title, isn't it? :lol:

well - I'm curious to know if any one of you is Oral Deaf. By that - it means you can have a verbal communication (with or without deaf accent) with any individual - regardless of your hearing status. If you can speak only few words..... sorry but you don't count.

me - yes I am Oral Deaf and I'm severe-profound.

count me out. i was born profoundly deaf. i dont speak but i only can speak one word by word, not in a full sentence.

Last edited:
Not sure about myself, since I speak very well, but was mainstreamed with sign language.

so...count me out? :lol:

I had an oral upbringing and I can speak. I think you have to count me as most of my family can understand me.

Public many times can't, sometimes can. :shrug:

I've been profound deaf since 14...I speak (talk) more than I sign. As for "the deaf accent", it's noticeable at times. So, I'm oral-deaf.

Not sure about myself, since I speak very well, but was mainstreamed with sign language.

so...count me out? :lol:

then you are the Talking Deafie :lol:

c'mon. don't be shy! confess to me!

Actually I think that the term oral deaf is misleading. AG Bell defines oral deaf as someone who's communication preference (when given a choice between speech and sign) is always speech.
The title should be orally skilled deaf. I am orally skilled, but I don't think of myself as oral b/c I am NOT an AG Bell type.

Actually I think that the term oral deaf is misleading. AG Bell defines oral deaf as someone who's communication preference (when given a choice between speech and sign) is always speech.
The title should be orally skilled deaf. I am orally skilled, but I don't think of myself as oral b/c I am NOT an AG Bell type.

All he wanted to know is who here can talk. It isn't about philosophy.

whoa there, nellie. I'm not interested in AG Bell debate. I'm a simple man with a simple question - which of youse can talk as a deaf person?

why? cuz I'm nosy :wave:

I can talk and communicate with most hearing people but only on an one-on-one basis.

I am 20 % taking Deafie and 80% non-talking Deafie..LOL!

Last edited:
hah! Never thought of myself as a Talking Deafie nor an Oral deaf but...I suppose I am. I speak real well, so I've been told. But, I don't think I'm comfortable with that term..it's too ummm geeky, the "talking deafie" label. Not too fond of labels here.

hah! Never thought of myself as a Talking Deafie nor an Oral deaf but...I suppose I am. I speak real well, so I've been told. But, I don't think I'm comfortable with that term..it's too ummm geeky, the "talking deafie" label. Not too fond of labels here.

I know. It's the best I can to describe my intent in here (separate from AG Bell drama). I'm sorry if some people got offended by it but well - tough luck :)

Most strangers can understand me with out much effort on my part. Some foreigners without good English skills may have trouble understanding me.

Most strangers can understand me with out much effort on my part. Some foreigners without good English skills may have trouble understanding me.

I'm not easily understood by strangers but I have to do my very best to make myself clearly understood. Foreigner with bad English? oye oye ay de mi.... it's hopeless.

I guess you could count me in - I do talk and people can understand me and I am totally deaf. I am just having more peoblems understanding other people.

I can speak very well but I am not deaf so.... count me out.

go away you hearie!

003-atropina-fly-swatter.jpg

Back