The Making of a Word: Audism ...And More

being deaf myself - I've been called an "audist" on more than one occasion on forums, because I approve of CI's, and refuse to fall into the "poor little deaf people who can't do anything so everybody has to do it for them" dogma that some like to preach. Thankfully that attitude isn't as prevalent as it once was.

Pardonez Moi!

Cheri said:
Deaf Images

You remind me so much of "those deaf who stick in their little world" who have their own language, values, rules of behavior, its pride and it's own perspective, who don't want any socialization with other people out in the society. As I know there are some Deaf people who passed out those ASL Sign language cards as a job to collect money off of people, refused to even work, think that they cannot do anything because they're special, they're deaf, has a name for everyone they dislike, example Oralism, Mainstream, Total communication, and even hearing people. To be honest it's an embarrassment to me, because every time I bumped into a hearing person, they are afraid they might say something wrong, to offended a Deaf person, if they call me hearing impaired some Deaf people go there way attacking them. I tell them that I don't share the same values of those Deaf, I don't think it is necessary to still carrying on the old pattern of cycles of the past to present, because passions and emotions can run high, like it always does. Why don't you be more supportive in each Deaf person's learning environment? You know what that means? Accept everyone equally stop being so self-center. :thumb:

Suffice to say...you do not know me so please wait and see...
it is so common so many people mislabel everyone..

thanks

:whistle:

being deaf myself - I've been called an "audist" on more than one occasion on forums, because I approve of CI's, and refuse to fall into the "poor little deaf people who can't do anything so everybody has to do it for them" dogma that some like to preach. Thankfully that attitude isn't as prevalent as it once was.
Neecy, that just demonstrates the variety of thinking and theory in the Deaf world. To my thinking the only audists out there are the ones who are SO convinced of the supiorority of speech, that they bash Sign, or they think that Sign won't be useful for dhh kids. I think that favortism towards a particualr methodology does NOBODY any good! The ultimate goal for ALL dhh kids, should be a FULL toolbox of tools!

Sweetmind said:
Thats audist attitude like CLOGGY s negative attitude.. Kiss his arses anytime u want but I will never kiss anyone s arses. He thinks his child is hearing because of CI itself SCOFFS!.........

I think I am doing a great job not responding to all this....

Does post this count?

Cheri said:
I didn't know that hearing people do that too, Because, when I see them selling those ABC ASL cards, I signed to them, they signed to me back, they stated that "they can't get a job because they are deaf, deaf people don't work," I said is that so? I am deaf and I have a job! They said nothing after that, looks like a frog got stuck between their throat. :whistle:
sweetmind should have read a chapter in "For Hearing People Only" on Deaf Peddler.

I recall Charles B. telling me story about what they did to prevent a hearing person from buying a ABC from a Deaf Peddler... by handing the magazine(DeafLife) to hearing person FREE of charge and said "don't buy ABC cards from them"

There were two articles about it: http://www.deaflife.com/back_issue/listing/100.html
and http://www.deaflife.com/back_issue/listing/010.html

So we are not pinpointing deaf people but DEAF PEDDLERS!! duh!! right cheri?

deaf person as deaf peddlers dont you get it?? it s not only deaf people who does that if you mind.. I have seen hearing person did it after i signed to that person.. Guess what!! Hearing peddlers ran away from me as usual..

Sweetmind said:
deaf person as deaf peddlers dont you get it?? it s not only deaf people who does that if you mind.. I have seen hearing person did it after i signed to that person.. Guess what!! Hearing peddlers ran away from me as usual..

Just because a person run away doesn't mean, this person is hearing, Did you tell them you were Sweetmind? Could be the reason for running off. :mrgreen:

See this.... u are here to make trouble for me?? You are a whiner and tattle tale about me being harsh to moderator last night.. What a pity! You are no better than me. DUH! that hearing peddlers doesnt know any sign language that scared them away after all he realized I am deaf.

Also I have had met deaf peddlers and told them off to get a low pay job if he wants the money. I refused to buy anything from those peddlers because I am deaf myself as is.

Is that how you treat me and many deafies like that?? how interesting! ;) I rather people see the truth how people treat me all all along even though no matter if it snt harsh comment..

In my case, I mean Deaf Peddlers and FAKE Deaf Peddlers OK-AY!?

I don't mean those deafies who were rounded up as slaves and forced to peddles. Not That!

Sweetmind said:
See this.... u are here to make trouble for me?? You are a whiner and tattle tale about me being harsh to moderator last night.. What a pity! You are no better than me.

I'm sorry, I am not here to make trouble for you, Your post to me was uncall for last night, I had to report it just like any member would. If you want to call me a whiner be it, I prefer that you'll be civil with me, as much I will to you. Agreed? :thumb:

:applause:
Cheri said:
Just because a person run away doesn't mean, this person is hearing, Did you tell them you were Sweetmind? Could be the reason for running off. :mrgreen:
:applause:

neecy said:

What dogma is that? I'm tring to figure out who you are referring to. I must assume that this why you were called an "audist". It seems that you are no better than those you appear to disparaging. It only seems that way because you were not clear about who you are talking about.

dkf747 said:
What dogma is that? I'm tring to figure out who you are referring to. I must assume that this why you were called an "audist". It seems that you are no better than those you appear to disparaging. It only seems that way because you were not clear about who you are talking about.
First the definition for clearity
Dogma
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural dogmas also dog·ma·ta /-m&-t&/
Etymology: Latin dogmat-, dogma, from Greek, from dokein to seem -- more at DECENT
1 a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet b : a code of such tenets <pedagogical dogma> c : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds
2 : a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church

I think that neecy described the dogma. It was in the part of neecy's quote that you highlighted which was. "poor little deaf people who can't do anything so everybody has to do it for them" That opinion (if it exists) is what would be the dogma. I hope this helps clearify.

This has been discussed in the UK. 'Audism' overwhelmingy is rejected. It's yet another term/label created to drive further divisions in the already tentative deaf unity. We have already seen Audism applied to describe oral/hearing aid/CI users, as well as other deaf people and hearing. The deaf activists are killing any empathy people might have with the deaf, it's a turn off, an insult to many in mainstream too, who do work and help deaf people, now they all get this 'label' because they hear, Deaf patronising and discriminating against the hearing ? that's a new one. Trouble with new 'buzz' words, is they do not account for the vindictive and divisive deaf elements we have, who will use these words/terms to hammer home a 'Deaf' message, it is isolating and alienating other deaf people.

Other words/terms not wanted:

Deafie
Big D Deaf
Hearies

There are also too many other emerging, the trend, is to isolate deaf people, into 'Us' versus 'them', and 'them' can now mean ANYONE deaf or hearing, or 'different' deaf or Hard of Hearing, who doesn't adhere to some deaf credo. What is it with these deaf activists ? they want us all stuck in a never-ending cycle of contention with mainstream ? AND each other ? Advances have been made in access, effort has been put in, to listen to some deaf, I fear the Deaf will never leave their isolation, because these warped activists prefer they don't. Every opportunity is to make out mainstream has it in for us, and indeed other deaf who want choices too get it...

If we want to make progress, dump the deaf activist on some desert island and let them do what they want there. I remember deaf activism when it was comprised of hard working deaf campaigners working for us all using common-sense, they must be spinning in their retirement to see what is happening now. It was all about getting support, now it''s all about politics, and 'deaf power', and inciting apathy towards deaf culture, and antagonism towards anyone with hearing. It's creating resentment.

Oh yea.. Hearing impaired is not appropriate term for many deafies. If you mind.. We are having our broken ears that is very insulting remarks.

Who created this?? of course MEDICAL professional did. There is a reason for us to say it to make the point about Signed Impaired for hearing people doesnt know anything about deaf languages as is. thank you!

I am d/Deaf that shows who I am..

Sweetmind said:
Oh yea.. Hearing impaired is not appropriate term for many deafies. If you mind.. We are having our broken ears that is very insulting remarks.

Who created this?? of course MEDICAL professional did. There is a reason for us to say it to make the point about Signed Impaired for hearing people doesnt know anything about deaf languages as is. thank you!

I am d/Deaf that shows who I am..

I just roll my eyes to the extent of denial of some in the deaf community.

A Rose is a Rose by any other name. Whether you (or others) like to admit it or not, a person who cannot hear normally is hearing impaired...period. We can wish it away, deny it or whatever but it is still there. We are missing the full use of a sense. I equate this concept (of denial) to looking at the world through a broken prism.

Somebody blind would not even lower themselves to such inane remarks about being insulted that they are being called blind. They know it and they deal with it.

This acknowledgement of "hearing impairement" doesn't imply in any shape or form any less intrinsic worth compared to one who can hear. This is where the real battle for the deaf community and why this gets all tangled up with heated emotions and egos and whatnot.

As for wishing that the hearing world will bother learning sign on a regular basis, is really absurd. It isn't going to happen. Sign is another language and it is hard enough for most adults to learn another language like spanish let alone sign.

Audism is simply a label by some to use as a "weapon" against the hearing world. It is divisive and doesn't bring the deaf closer to the hearing world but rather drives it away.

sr171soars said:
Audism is simply a label by some to use as a "weapon" against the hearing world. It is divisive and doesn't bring the deaf closer to the hearing world but rather drives it away.
Don't kid yourself, this word is used as a weapon against the deaf world as well. If you don't agree 100% with the individual weilding the weapon, you WILL be labeled.

Passivist said:
This has been discussed in the UK. 'Audism' overwhelmingy is rejected. It's yet another term/label created to drive further divisions in the already tentative deaf unity. We have already seen Audism applied to describe oral/hearing aid/CI users, as well as other deaf people and hearing. The deaf activists are killing any empathy people might have with the deaf, it's a turn off, an insult to many in mainstream too, who do work and help deaf people, now they all get this 'label' because they hear, Deaf patronising and discriminating against the hearing ? that's a new one. Trouble with new 'buzz' words, is they do not account for the vindictive and divisive deaf elements we have, who will use these words/terms to hammer home a 'Deaf' message, it is isolating and alienating other deaf people.

Other words/terms not wanted:

Deafie
Big D Deaf
Hearies

There are also too many other emerging, the trend, is to isolate deaf people, into 'Us' versus 'them', and 'them' can now mean ANYONE deaf or hearing, or 'different' deaf or Hard of Hearing, who doesn't adhere to some deaf credo. What is it with these deaf activists ? they want us all stuck in a never-ending cycle of contention with mainstream ? AND each other ? Advances have been made in access, effort has been put in, to listen to some deaf, I fear the Deaf will never leave their isolation, because these warped activists prefer they don't. Every opportunity is to make out mainstream has it in for us, and indeed other deaf who want choices too get it...

If we want to make progress, dump the deaf activist on some desert island and let them do what they want there. I remember deaf activism when it was comprised of hard working deaf campaigners working for us all using common-sense, they must be spinning in their retirement to see what is happening now. It was all about getting support, now it''s all about politics, and 'deaf power', and inciting apathy towards deaf culture, and antagonism towards anyone with hearing. It's creating resentment.

:werd: Eloquently well said-- ;)

Sweetmind said:
Okay then you are asking for it.. Deaf impaired thank you!

Do you mean Hearing people and CI people are "Deaf impaired" ?

Interesting...that's very new and creative ....

Back