The Making of a Word: Audism ...And More

rockdrummer said:
Thanks, So you dont' agree with the definition from the creator where he says deaf people can be audist's too. Read the begining of the thread and go to the link I provided or read the definintion in my posts here. I understand that the word is used out of context by the deaf community and that is ok. I also understand what you mean by a DUT. Having said that, what would you call a deaf person that does to the hearing community the things that an audist does to the deaf community? What is the word for that?

Oh pleaz.....

Rockdrummer,

Do you support AGB (Alexander Graham Bell)'s oral methods including no marriage between Deafies and forbiden sign language methods?

(A hearie who responses "Yes" then he/she is a AUDIST! If the deafie answers, too then he/she is DUT.)

Mookie said:
Do you support AGB (Alexander Graham Bell)'s oral methods including no marriage between Deafies and forbiden sign language methods?)

If it wasn't for Alexander Graham Bell, We all would be deaf and mute. Think about that one. I support him because he is the one who invented another way for Deaf people to speak. I don't agree with some of his views but I'm glad he found ways to help the Deaf. ;)

Cheri said:
If it wasn't for Alexander Graham Bell, We all would be deaf and mute. Think about that one. I support him because he is the one who invented another way for Deaf people to speak. I don't agree with some of his views but I'm glad he found ways to help the Deaf. ;)

I believe that you already forgotten Samual F. Morse who invented the telegraph. He learned the Morse Codes when he communicated with his deaf wife. He had a business partner, Amos Kendall who founded the school for the deaf in Washington, DC.

AGB was the last person who revised the telecommunication device and founded the AT&T company.

Well, I picked side of Morse....

Mookie said:
I believe that you already forgotten Samual F. Morse who invented the telegraph. He learned the Morse Codes when he communicated with his deaf wife. He had a business partner, Amos Kendall who founded the school for the deaf in Washington, DC.

AGB was the last person who revised the telecommunication device and founded the AT&T company.

Well, I picked side of Morse....

I didn't forget, Samual Morse invented magnetic telegraph, Alexander Graham Bell's original focus was on hearing and speech. Big differences. ;)

I pick side of Alexander Grahman Bell. Mwah! ;)

Mookie said:
Oh pleaz.....Rockdrummer,
Do you support AGB (Alexander Graham Bell)'s oral methods including no marriage between Deafies and forbiden sign language methods?
(A hearie who responses "Yes" then he/she is a AUDIST! If the deafie answers, too then he/she is DUT.)
Mookie, I am not suggesting that I support anything. I am not even sure where your question comes from based on my post. All I am asking is what would you call a deaf person that treats the hearing community the way an Audist treats the deaf. You see, discrimination is a two way street. Actually its a dead end street but that is beside the point. Please understand there ARE some in the deaf community that treat the hearing with prejeduce and discrimination. What would you call those people? Per the definition by the creator of the word Audism, they are audist. I understand that the deaf have their own interpretation of this word that is not in line with the actual definition per the creator and that is ok with me. What would you call a deafie that is prejeduice and discriminates against hearies just because they can hear? That is all I am asking.

Cheri said:
I didn't forget, Samual Morse invented magnetic telegraph, Alexander Graham Bell's original focus was on hearing and speech. Big differences. ;)

I pick side of Alexander Grahman Bell. Mwah! ;)

Yeah right,

If Samual F. Morse has not invented the telegraph, AGB would not be the father of the oral methods in U.S....

Long live Laurent Clerc!.....

He he he

rockdrummer said:
Deaf Images. could you please answer my question to you in my post above?
Thank you.

Above? I see it below? I see last message first... not first message first.. he he easier to go back to my comments then follow up upwards... can be mind boggling after few pages... eeeek!

back to your question... good question... hmmm i would say DUT anyways, but we can come up with new term...have to put on thinking cap for that...

good point!

:whistle:

Ag Bell Is Traitor!!!

Cheri said:

Oh come on! Like I said the Deaf feared him in late 19th century and the early 20th century! He was the most despised person in the Deaf community for his paternalistic and audist attitude.

When I found out about him, my first report was that he was a hitler born before the real hitler was born.... he wanted to erase deaf from the human race. He sounded like GOD... he wanted to wipe us off the face of Earth....
He sounded like a terrorist!

:dunno:

Deaf Images said:
Above? I see it below? I see last message first... not first message first.. he he easier to go back to my comments then follow up upwards... can be mind boggling after few pages... eeeek! back to your question... good question... hmmm i would say DUT anyways, but we can come up with new term...have to put on thinking cap for that...good point! :whistle:
Yeah, I hear you brother (no pun intended) on the going back through the posts. Why not just call them audist's as the definition suggests? Just a thought!!!

Heck... Bell was thief!

In my communication major at local university, there was discussion that AGB stole the invention and claimed it for himself.... there was lawsuits...and recently the Congress recognized that it was someone else who invented the phone... not AG Bell.... a master thief! snake oil salesman of the 19th century!

No one can try to sweep Bell's dark secrets under the carpet!

:pissed:

Deaf Images said:
I am not labeling. It is fact of life. Would you call that guy who raped you "rapist"? or what?

:dunno:

The difference is with a rapist, that is a specific person who has done harm, and you can prove it.

With this "audist" term, unless you are dealing with one specific person because of a specific thing you can point to and say they did, I don't think it would be right at all. Assuming all hearing people are bad is like assuming all black people are bad. It's ridiculous. Get to know a person first before making a judgment.

Deaf Images said:
In my communication major at local university, there was discussion that AGB stole the invention and claimed it for himself.... there was lawsuits...and recently the Congress recognized that it was someone else who invented the phone... not AG Bell.... a master thief! snake oil salesman of the 19th century!

No one can try to sweep Bell's dark secrets under the carpet!

:pissed:

No wonder why AT&T had to divide its company into the baby bell compaines in 1980s, according to the federal lawsuit....

Rose Immortal said:
Assuming all hearing people are bad is like assuming all black people are bad. It's ridiculous. Get to know a person first before making a judgment.
Exactly!!! Per the definition, a deafie that assumes this is an Audist. But the word is not used like that so I ask then what would you call a deafie that treats hearing people this way?

rockdrummer said:
Exactly!!! Per the definition, a deafie that assumes this is an Audist. But the word is not used like that so I ask then what would you call a deafie that treats hearing people this way?

How do you know? I would easily label hearie "Audist" after I learn....

Rolling Eyes.....

Rose Immortal said:
The difference is with a rapist, that is a specific person who has done harm, and you can prove it.

With this "audist" term, unless you are dealing with one specific person because of a specific thing you can point to and say they did, I don't think it would be right at all. Assuming all hearing people are bad is like assuming all black people are bad. It's ridiculous. Get to know a person first before making a judgment.

Heck I live in town with plenty of audists... it is easy to tell who they are..

thank you! :whistle:

Deaf Images

You remind me so much of "those deaf who stick in their little world" who have their own language, values, rules of behavior, its pride and it's own perspective, who don't want any socialization with other people out in the society. As I know there are some Deaf people who passed out those ASL Sign language cards as a job to collect money off of people, refused to even work, think that they cannot do anything because they're special, they're deaf, has a name for everyone they dislike, example Oralism, Mainstream, Total communication, and even hearing people. To be honest it's an embarrassment to me, because every time I bumped into a hearing person, they are afraid they might say something wrong, to offended a Deaf person, if they call me hearing impaired some Deaf people go there way attacking them. I tell them that I don't share the same values of those Deaf, I don't think it is necessary to still carrying on the old pattern of cycles of the past to present, because passions and emotions can run high, like it always does. Why don't you be more supportive in each Deaf person's learning environment? You know what that means? Accept everyone equally stop being so self-center. :thumb:

Mookie said:
How do you know? I would easily label hearie "Audist" after I learn....

Did you know that I was called an " Audist " quite a few times just cause I grew up oral methods, and I don't understand why I'm being label such a name just cause I believe that using my voices helps me be able to communicate along with the hearing folks ..

Mookie said:
Oh pleaz.....

Rockdrummer,

Then I suppose I'm a dut whatever the word means :dunno:

^Angel^ said:
Did you know that I was called an " Audist " quite a few times just cause I grew up oral methods, and I don't understand why I'm being label such a name just cause I believe that using my voices helps me be able to communicate along with the hearing folks ..

Angel,

Which part do you understandy my statement: I would easily label before I learn

I meant that I learn from an individual who always believes in oral methods, is against the ASL methods and simply gives cold shoulders to any Deafie who always strongly believe in deaf culutre and deaf soceity.

Angel, did I call you "an elite audist"? No, I did not. I would perphas call you that one a fifteen years ago. However, I do not think of you as of now since your root already stuck in the ground of the deaf world...

Mookie said:
Angel,

Which part do you understandy my statement: I would easily label before I learn

I meant that I learn from an individual who always believes in oral methods, is against the ASL methods and simply gives cold shoulders to any Deafie who always strongly believe in deaf culutre and deaf soceity.

Angel, did I call you "an elite audist"? No, I did not. I would perphas call you that one a fifteen years ago. However, I do not think of you as of now since your root already stuck in the ground of the deaf world...

Okay, then my question to you is why would you call me one 15 years ago?...

Back