The "Mainstreaming" Experience: "Isolated cases"?

I love mainstream! End of the story
. What's your educational history thou? I think mainstream works best nowadays when a student has had a hefty dose of attendance at a deaf school. Oooooo.....also, is your mainstream school experianced with how to teach dhh students? That can and DOES make a HUGE diffy.
I also thought that you were OK with the academics at deaf school but mostly hated the drama.........and trust me there's huge drama at hearing schools too!

I know this is an old thread but I just saw the video. I think it's interesting. I am mainstreamed, ever since I was nine. (I am seventeen now.) My immediate family is deaf. I am profoundly deaf. I use sign at school and at home. I use interpreters all the time. But I don't feel like I am behind. I am taking several AP (Advanced Placement) classes and one Honors class. I am in the National Honor Society. I hang out with people from school a lot, hearing and/or deaf. I am deaf as in not being able to hear. That's all there is to this. I don't see how being mainstreamed makes you delayed and/or isolated.

I know this is an old thread but I just saw the video. I think it's interesting. I am mainstreamed, ever since I was nine. (I am seventeen now.) My immediate family is deaf. I am profoundly deaf. I use sign at school and at home. I use interpreters all the time. But I don't feel like I am behind. I am taking several AP (Advanced Placement) classes and one Honors class. I am in the National Honor Society. I hang out with people from school a lot, hearing and/or deaf. I am deaf as in not being able to hear. That's all there is to this. I don't see how being mainstreamed makes you delayed and/or isolated.

you said your parents are deaf then you have no problem in school. More likely for deaf parents who can communicate with children then children may do well in school. of course it is not always the case but more likely. yes.

That's true as I developed an established language (ASL) before I started school, rather than other kids who didn't have a language except for "home signs". However, I think this video applies to deaf kids with deaf parents as well. I think the video applies to some people I know too. My best friend is deaf with a deaf family but he would feel like he's not really fitting in, hence the reason he's transferring to MSSD this fall.

You have full access to language (ASL) which definitely helped. Most deaf children who are mainstreamed especially oral-only dont which caused us to end up with language delays or deficits.

am mainstreamed, ever since I was nine. (I am seventeen now.) My immediate family is deaf. I am profoundly deaf. I use sign at school and at home. I use interpreters all the time. But I don't feel like I am behind. I am taking several AP (Advanced Placement) classes and one Honors class. I am in the National Honor Society. I hang out with people from school a lot, hearing and/or deaf.
Yes, but you were in a Dhh program until you were nine right? You weren't kneejerk mainstreamed right? That is a HUGE plus....you had the advantage of a Deaf family, plus a few years in a Deaf program.
Had you been automaticly mainstreamed, you might have found it a lot different
Hohtopics,
You don't get it. You really do not get it at ALL. Most mainstreamed kids are basicly doggie paddling in the mainstream today. It's not just "some kids" who are doggy paddling or struggling.....it is a LOT, especially around fourth grade and up.
Yes, there are some kids who are doing AWESOME........but you completely and totally miss that it has to be a "perfect storm" of circumstances in order to work well.
I know you said you weren't impressed at the Deaf Schools you've been to.......have you ever checked out a mainstream school? It's even worse!

I know you said you weren't impressed at the Deaf Schools you've been to.......have you ever checked out a mainstream school? It's even worse!

Huh? And I AM in one...?

I think I was sending out the wrong message. I mean, I know some deaf people with immediate deaf families therefore they also have full access to ASL [just like me...] and they still struggle. That's not something I really understand. That's what I was saying.

Ok I done well in mainstream because my hearingwas ok in the first half but I knew a guy named Eric. Completely deaf was jammed in a sped room for every class, no asl, never went past 4th grade, and got kicked out of school at 21 for being 21 and in mainstream grade 4 level for 12 years.

I'm only 22. I'm assuming this is still going on because it has not been that long.

Ok I done well in mainstream because my hearingwas ok in the first half but I knew a guy named Eric. Completely deaf was jammed in a sped room for every class, no asl, never went past 4th grade, and got kicked out of school at 21 for being 21 and in mainstream grade 4 level for 12 years.

I'm only 22. I'm assuming this is still going on because it has not been that long.

Oh it is still going on, unfortunately.

Yep. Still going on.

Huh? And I AM in one...?

I think I was sending out the wrong message. I mean, I know some deaf people with immediate deaf families therefore they also have full access to ASL [just like me...] and they still struggle. That's not something I really understand. That's what I was saying
No, I was talking to Hohtopics with that comment. Not you. As a matter of fact your placement is exactly the kind I would love to see for most dhh kids....start out in Deaf School/good program, for a few years and get a good educational foundation
and THEN test into the mainstream. Like the way it was BEFORE mainstreaming became the norm. Also, preserve the continum of placement....b/c it can be really hard to tell who can benifit from what kinds of placements.

Completely deaf was jammed in a sped room for every class, no asl, never went past 4th grade, and got kicked out of school at 21 for being 21 and in mainstream grade 4 level for 12 years
. Yup still happens....and of course AG Bell doesn't want to admit that b/c they point fingers at the research of AVT and the findings of the oral schools (which are REALLY dwindling down) as "proof" that all oral kids can become REALLY high acheivers, like the kind that are profiled in Volta Voices. :roll:

Really? You don't think that some oral schools can provide a healthy oral experiance? Like Clarke School has gotten a lot better in the past few years.....I was talking to my audi about going to NTID/RIT for grad school and she seemed really positive. I know a lot of alums are very pro ASL...and if it wasn't controlled by AG Bell's audist forces, they prolly would have started ASL by now. But yes, I agree. They think that a child's life should be an eternal speech therapy session!

deafdyke you make alot of good observation but at same time you across as quite arrogant, even as a know-it-all...theres more to than just foundation/asl/"oh yes you have ability (bu you'd whisper 'but i doubt it) then you often say this is the best, no you are wrong, this is the best WHEN they have apparently told you so while is might be differently expressed...why dont you compile all your 'thoughts on this subject' into a textbook instead of taking over other's writing or accounts of mainstreaming experiences?

I been mainstreamed and it sucked while i also know mainstream ed was the best I could ever get at the time, or even under the present situation, because nuns STILL fcking think they should the 'poor deaf childern (teenagers)...grrr....and deaf schools is still way worse yet...
basically im saying dont ever think you know more about or have authority to speak about on top of any one about mainstreaming/dhh/hoh education

nice try, but honesty im tired of all the spot light on your opinions and no body elses is given the same respect aside from your own views. You never change you are Obsessed and the show goes on....

just my 2 cents

I have to say I think a huge part(NOT the only reason b/c there are multiple reasons) of the reason why oralism and mainstreaming is so popular is b/c the parents see the Volta Voices kids, and think that their kid is going to be just like those kids or the pro oralists make oral only sound like some GLORIOUS UTOPIA.
I do also think a HUGE part of the reason I hate oralism is b/c it really capitalizes on the " Your child can be HEALTHY AND NORMAL" crap.

I have to say I think a huge part(NOT the only reason b/c there are multiple reasons) of the reason why oralism and mainstreaming is so popular is b/c the parents see the Volta Voices kids, and think that their kid is going to be just like those kids or the pro oralists make oral only sound like some GLORIOUS UTOPIA.
I do also think a HUGE part of the reason I hate oralism is b/c it really capitalizes on the " Your child can be HEALTHY AND NORMAL" crap.

YES, I KNOW, AND I WHOLEHEARTLY AGREE, BUT what are you really saying you like or dislike oralism, its popular but you dont like it? or it is popular you lke it but its got serious flaws because 'people dont understand what it is or how it ought to be understood'?

YES, I KNOW, AND I WHOLEHEARTLY AGREE, BUT what are you really saying you like or dislike oralism, its popular but you dont like it? or it is popular you lke it but its got serious flaws because 'people dont understand what it is or how it ought to be understood'?

I think the fact oralism is popular with the ABG crowd who are usually hearing who don't quite understand what a a struggle for the deaf to hear or listen or even speak and be understood by others or even to be able to understand what others are saying to them goes not go over well with the d/Deaf who had to deal with the Oral philosophy and its' conquences.

Grummer, I do not claim to be an expert on dhh education. At ALL. maybe it just appears that way to you b/c I'm so hardcore about how crappy our dhh/otherwise disabled students are doing in the mainstream. You do know that other disabled students who are mentally capable are ALSO underserved in the mainstream? A large part of the reason why I am hardcore about this subject is simple. I have seen what automatic kneejerk solotaire oral mainstreaming does to far too many dhh kids.(both emotionally, socially and academicly) I see that being repeated in this generation. Especially since this generation of kids doesn't have the advantage of a few years at Clarke or the state School for the Deaf...or even a dhh program.
Solotairing can be a very positive experiance for some....and I think you're missing that I'm all for a continum of placement, as well as a mix of methodologies etc.
I'm NOT saying " Deaf Schools are ALWAYS the best, and all dhh kids should attend them." Now that would be arrgonent and know it all.
What I am saying is that our mainstream educational system is too one size fits all. Did you know that even gifted kids struggle in the system? It is not just disabled kids. Our educational system is also VERY capitalist,. Generally, mainstream schools really don't give a shit about how well educated a dhh or blind/low vision or orthapedically disabled kid is. All they care about is the fact that those kids are sources of cash. They can LEGALLY give the kid a very minimal accomondation and crappy education, and walk away with the money the kid brings.

can totally agree with this statement. I homeschooled both kids and my daughter has various learning disabilities. It was like I had to go to school for myself doing all kinds of research to learn how to teach her. She is not a textbook case and we have to change and adapt each year, but it was well worth it and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Oh I can imagine!
And your daughter has basicly "severe" CP style learning disabilties....like obvious LDs, like something you would see a lot of at an Easter Seals or United Cerebal Palsy camp. I do have to say....it is too bad that Easter Seals or UCP doesn't offer schools for kids who while they're not exactly mentally disabled, are a little more complex then "just LD"
Or like......supplemental services for kids like that. I do feel for you Kristina....but I am glad it was such a positive experiance! Does your daughter have a lot of spilinter skills?
I really think that there needs to be specialized programs/schools for kids who are more severely (but not to the point of mental disabilty) nereologically impaired...they don't fit in with the mentally disabled kids and they can't function in a typical academic setting. ( Before i get jumped on.NOT saying that to be mean or anything....It would be like putting a fifth grader in with an AP class.
jillo, Do you think that the law that encouraged mainstreaming needs to be revamped? We need to make it so that kids are "smartstreamed."
Meaning, we need some sort of system so that dhh and "just blind"/low vision (as most b/lv have multiple issues) students get the training in blindness/deafness skills that would ensure a decent education. We really need to push a continuum of placement, where kids would get awesome support and social life etc, rather then worshipping at the throne of inclusion.I really am afraid with the push towards inclusion that the dhh or other low incidence kid mainstream experiance will be repeated time and again....Have we learned nothing? I have a feeling that in ten years we'll have a bunch of kids angry and disaffected b/c they got cheated out of the services they needed to get a good education.
What schools that push mainstreaming like Clarke and CID don't understand is that mainstreaming is not innovative any more. Back in the old days it was..But now it's not. Heck, you know what would be innovative? Starting a high school program for oral kids at Clarke School. Like they have at Mary Hare in the UK. I do have to add that I really think that the oral educators who push mainstreaming are completly clueless as to what life is like in a suburban high school. It's like they think that high school is something out of High School Musical or Grease.

Back