The "Mainstreaming" Experience: "Isolated cases"?

Good point dd, I have a thought.....instead of relying or pushing for the State to provide services, perhaps teachers themselves can study how they can best assist 'special needs' children in their own classroom and provide the necessary accomodations and educational support? I know any dedicated teacher would be willing to do this for the students in their care.

perhaps teachers themselves can study how they can best assist 'special needs' children in their own classroom and provide the necessary accomodations and educational support? I know any dedicated teacher would be willing to do this for the students in their care.
That's the philosophy behind inclusion. Which is being majorly pushed here in the states. That can work with kids with relatively mild issues, or kids who have a good solid base of disablity specific education. But the thing is, inclusion is basicly one size fits all. Most mainstream sped teachers really don't have a lot of training in how to teach kids with low incidence disabilties.
I also have friends who are teachers and they say that inclusion is one of those things that sounds good in theory but doesn't work well in practice....they witnessed the downsides of it both with me, and their current students. Also, if it's hard for a teacher to manage a typical classroom, imagine how hard it would be if you threw more complicated kids into the mix.

Back