The Lounge thread: Whatever you feel like......... Anything goes! Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldnt believe the big argument I got into with 5 of my coworkers today. A discussion came up about one coworker overhearing a hearing group of men over the weekend discussing the story about the Egyptain man chopping his penis off because he couldnt marry the woman he loved and hwo they would never do that. She said that one guy said ," I would rather be blind than go without a penis." Then she said "I cant believe how stupid that is...who wants to be blind?" Then they all got into a discussion about blindness and how terrible it must be. I told them that blind people do not feel that way and probably feel that deafness is so terrible. They told me that I was wrong and that blind people cant be indendependent like deaf people. I was soooo shocked when they said that and bothered. Mind u, some of them were hearing and some were deaf. Another coworker said that he knew a blind person who married another blind person and had two blind kids and went on to say, "If it was me, I would call CPS for having babies knowing they would be blind because they are incapable of taking care of each other." He is from a Deaf family so I said "Excuse me...how would u feel if people said that about u...that you and your ex wife have 3 deaf children and how wrong it is to keep on having children knowing that they will be deaf?' He looked at me like I was stupid and said "U knwo that being deaf is not of a big deal and we can live good lives and take care of ourselves while blind people couldnt." I told them that they were wrong and they were like "How do u know?" I said I have blind friends (mostly here on AD) and they are happy with their lives and have no desire to see. They looked at me like I was crazy and rolled their eyes at me. I guess they are mad at me know but I dont care. Their talk really turned me off. I wonder if I am more educated about how blind people live because I am here on AD? I remember I used to think being blind would be so terrible and felt pity for blind people. Now, I dont but apparently my coworkers and god knows how many other people, including deaf people feel that way. Damn...

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't just reach out and rip their penises off for those comments! Either way kudos to you!

But I thought you were out for the summer. If your'e not, it sounds like your all in need of a summer break.

One would think a man would rather be able to reproduce, and have a child to carry on his last name.

But I reckon it is each to his own.

We had a similar debate in High School among Me, my interpreter, and the hearing students in my class.

Some of them said they rather be blind, than deaf.

Some said they rather be deaf, than blind.

Everyone had personal reasons for it.

Another coworker said that he knew a blind person who married another blind person and had two blind kids and went on to say, "If it was me, I would call CPS for having babies knowing they would be blind because they are incapable of taking care of each other." He is from a Deaf family so I said "Excuse me...how would u feel if people said that about u...that you and your ex wife have 3 deaf children and how wrong it is to keep on having children knowing that they will be deaf?' He looked at me like I was stupid and said "U knwo that being deaf is not of a big deal and we can live good lives and take care of ourselves while blind people couldnt."

What your co-worker said was incredibly ignorant. I completely agree with you. The part where you asked him how he would feel if someone said that about him having kids even though he knew that they might turn out to be deaf was definitely a really good point. It's actually been something I've been thinking about. Now my hearing impairment will be able to be passed on if I ever have kids, so I am worried if they could ever get it. However, at the same time... I could care less! :shock: I feel like a horrible person for thinking this way, but I honestly do not care if I was to ever have a hearing impaired child. The reason I feel this way is because I look at myself and see how well I have done in school and I think that they become successful at life and do well. But I also look at the struggles that they would have to face, and I feel bad for thinking that way!

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't just reach out and rip their penises off for those comments! Either way kudos to you!

But I thought you were out for the summer. If your'e not, it sounds like your all in need of a summer break.

Thanks.

I think my coworkers have no experience knowing blind people so I guess they are ignorant about it. It just surprised me cuz we all are a part of the Deaf community.

Nah, we arent bickering at each other ..they are mad at me now but they will get over it. School is done on June 10th. Yay!

Last day of school is Tomorrow.

Kids are joining my center with me!

HA!!!

They will be under my care the whole summer camp!

Today's high temperature reached at a "scorching" 88 degrees at Seatac Airport and it was 89 in North Bend, WA.

I am hoping to get the teaching aide position given I pass the parapro examination. It would be nice to have summers off to just chill for a bit. But something tells me that I will have to work throughout the summers. :/

Have to see a new ENT tomorrow.....have to park in a parking garage....I'm terrified of them!....

Dunno!...Probably seen too many movies....but the higher you have to go to find a spot to park or the floor to get off, the more panicky I get. Plus, it's dark in there, tight spaces. I don't like to drive at night, either.

What I do in most cases, is not to use the parking garage, look for a space on a side street to park. I've always been this way.

Dunno!...Probably seen too many movies....but the higher you have to go to find a spot to park or the floor to get off, the more panicky I get. Plus, it's dark in there, tight spaces. I don't like to drive at night, either.

What I do in most cases, is not to use the parking garage, look for a space on a side street to park. I've always been this way.

I guess Jacksonville have spooky garages. Most of the parking garages here are well lighted and bright.

I wouldnt want to park in a parking garage alone at night but during the day, for some weird reason, I feel safer. I know it doesnt matter but I just feel more capable of protecting myself in the daytime than at night.

Do they have like a parking attentant?

I think a lot of it has to do with my fear of heights...and dark places. Yeah, Jacksonville does have some "spooky" parking garages. Usually, when I have to see a doctor and there is a parking garage, I ask a friend to go with me. But both were busy tomorrow....so I'm gonna go it alone.

If I have to park 5 blocks away...so be it! The walk will be good for me anyhow and the appt. is in the morning, not at night.

Im not full of shit currently as I recently had a bowel movement, but you may be full of shit at the moment. :lol:

I have to go bed now and wish you all good night... :hug::wave:

Im not full of shit currently as I recently had a bowel movement, but you may be full of shit at the moment. :lol:

indeed. i'm due for it in a couple hours
Topes.gif

**it's an emoticon of a cow shitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back