The Last Stand for the Deaf in California

A lot of times, data doesn't explain the real-life reasons why things happen....

*nodding*

I have seen enough to know it's true. Basically, they treat these schools as if they are the dumping grounds for the students with problems.
I've seen that too at both VSDB in Staunton and MSSD as well.

In Virgina, it'd be the Hampton school for the Deaf that'd be the dumping ground. It was the Black school for the Deaf some 40 odd years ago, hence why we have two VSDBs in Virgina. It's nicknamed Hampton for the Deaf because it's in Hampton. Now it's the place for deaf students with multiple problems and disabilities.

With CSD schools' scores continually in the tank and budget woes of California, does it not make them vulnerable?

Rather than argue about the cause.....why not agree there are many problems and start talking solutions?????

I made the choice to attend a school for the deaf. My parents asked me if I wanted to attend a school for the deaf and I said yes.

Despite the problems they had at the school, I don't regret my decision one bit. People are being puerile by being thankful for something they never experienced.

I made the choice to attend a school for the deaf. My parents asked me if I wanted to attend a school for the deaf and I said yes.

Despite the problems they had at the school, I don't regret my decision one bit. People are being puerile by being thankful for something they never experienced.

I think most would feel the same way.

With CSD schools' scores continually in the tank and budget woes of California, does it not make them vulnerable?

I hang out with Deaf people that graduated from Fremont on a regular basis across the country and I can say this with confidence - They're not vulnerable.

Rather than argue about the cause.....why not agree there are many problems and start talking solutions?????

There's one solution... get the parents to work on the language development within the first five years before they are enrolled into a program.

However, only the parents can make that decision. If they fail to, then the taxpayers are forced to pay to fix the "problem" that may never be fixed.

By the time a child is 8, if the child has little or no confidence in reading... the child is more than likely to be doomed for the rest of its life.

I've seen that too at both VSDB in Staunton and MSSD as well.

In Virgina, it'd be the Hampton school for the Deaf that'd be the dumping ground. It was the Black school for the Deaf some 40 odd years ago, hence why we have two VSDBs in Virgina. It's nicknamed Hampton for the Deaf because it's in Hampton. Now it's the place for deaf students with multiple problems and disabilities.

So maybe that's why so many folks think the end-products from manstream schools are superior? Something's gotta give somewhere....

So maybe that's why so many folks think the end-products from manstream schools are superior? Something's gotta give somewhere....

But in the mainstream theres a ton of issues as well. A friend of mine had to teach a high school senior what the word "Improve" meant last spring. :shock:

There's one solution... get the parents to work on the language development within the first five years before they are enrolled into a program.

However, only the parents can make that decision. If they fail to, then the taxpayers are forced to pay to fix the "problem" that may never be fixed.

By the time a child is 8, if the child has little or no confidence in reading... the child is more than likely to be doomed for the rest of its life.

Nice but in reality, if the school is a dumping ground, then their students will come with a range of issues like bad family dynamics, are less educable, ad nauseam.....

I made this video a while ago... May as well share it because I share the same thing in this thread.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97eKlEHbyE]YouTube - Deaf Think Tank Team Introduction[/ame]

I hang out with Deaf people that graduated from Fremont on a regular basis across the country and I can say this with confidence - They're not vulnerable.

Not the students but the factors today that make the schools vulnerable to cuts and such.

But in the mainstream theres a ton of issues as well. A friend of mine had to teach a high school senior what the word "Improve" meant last spring. :shock:

I know but something has to give somewhere to make the wider picture fit...dumping ground schools and their Star scores, etc etc.....complicated

Wirelessly posted

Banjo said:
Its quite apparent that you haven't spent a semester or so at a deaf school.

The bad seeds I am speaking of is these "trouble kids", these with multiple disabilities, or severely mentally challenged.

*nodding*

I have seen enough to know it's true. Basically, they treat these schools as if they are the dumping grounds for the students with problems.

it is true that deaf schools have kids with other disabilities, but that is not the majority of students in california. Plus, those kid's don't test (they are exempted) so they aren't pulling the averages down.

Wirelessly posted

it is true that deaf schools have kids with other disabilities, but that is not the majority of students in california. Plus, those kid's don't test (they are exempted) so they aren't pulling the averages down.

Who are you referring to? The students who are mentally challenged?

I remember having to explain the meaning of lurid in my graphic design class. I did a tabloid that was a parody of the Weekly World News. It was called The Lurid News Weekly.

Back