The Last Stand for the Deaf in California

Too bad about that school....at any rate, to compare it with residential isn't gonna work so....

I agree. I made a mistake there

Times 10 (say from 2nd grade to 12th) would be $800,000 per student to get him or her graduated at possibly at a 4th grade comprehension level, too.

Are you saying all Deaf schools limit the students to read no higher than a 4th grade level? :roll:

Are you saying all Deaf schools limit the students to read no higher than a 4th grade level? :roll:

no. it's just showing you how much it costs to get them to 4th grade comprehension.

but I disagree with the statement. It's erroneously over-estimated.

And compare that with any non-deaf schools in the state. This is the same type of scores seen year after year after year.

WHOAAAAA! That chart shows that 90% of 11th graders are "far below" proficiency in English? That is horrible!

Well, you have to consider the fact there are several factors which play a role in a child's language development. Not just the schools, but the parents too as well.

Well, you have to consider the fact there are several factors which play a role in a child's language development. Not just the schools, but the parents too as well.

But 90%? That can't be blamed on parents only. That is clearly a failure at a huge level. It clearly isn't working (and you can't say that ALL of them are oral failures, California has one of the highest rates of enrollment from the start as well as parents moving there specifically for the school.)

But 90%? That can't be blamed on parents only. That is clearly a failure at a huge level. It clearly isn't working (and you can't say that ALL of them are oral failures, California has one of the highest rates of enrollment from the start as well as parents moving there specifically for the school.)

look at my last post, and take that to mind.

But you guys need to remember - The deaf schools do get the bad seed from the public schools usually..

That is spot on and I think the central issue. Anyone not understanding this, I will try to expand....

I want to see a chart that shows the average of all hearing students, please. Nvm.. Found it.

Been googling it... but here's what I have found so far.

National Assessment of Adult Literacy - NAAL. I know this isn't a study on the schools, but I think it's relevant to what you asked for.

National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) - Demographics - Overall

30 million Americans are only able to read below the basic level, 63 million are at the basic level. That's around 93 million Americans who aren't good readers. Only 28 million Americans are proficient readers while 93 million are intermediate readers.

55 percent in the basic population did not graduate from high school. That's a significant number. 21% had multiple disabilities, 20% were black, 39% were Hispanics. 44% weren't able to speak English before they started school.

Interestingly enough, only 9% of people with multiple disabilities account for the NAAL population compared to 15% for seniors, 12% for both black and Hispanics.

Interesting statistics.

So, is Bi-Bi education a failure?

I attended a school for the deaf years ago. I can assure you that it was the parents who failed their children, not the schools. The teachers did what they could to help the children, but with the lack of participation from their parents, they couldn't do much.

My parents did everything they could to educate me in my early years and they succeeded at it. Otherwise, I wouldn't had gotten a scholarship for having the highest averages in the school.

For what it is worth, did you know that, in the grocery business, all boxed goods, etc that give directions for preparing, etc their product is written for 4th graders? :D

Back