The Homeless

Interesting point of view, however I never did say they were homeless or did that thought cross my mind. In answer to the question, I don't know if they were or not.

A lot of panhandlers pay rent out of that money they panhandle. Just saying.

A lot of panhandlers pay rent out of that money they panhandle. Just saying.

I've heard of that story. I've been told they "take" home good amount of money at times. Dunno if that is true or not.

I've heard of that story. I've been told they "take" home good amount of money at times. Dunno if that is true or not.

Yep, it's true. Especially in big cities. Panhandling is more profitable than a minimum wage job at times.

that's why I don't give money to panhandlers anymore.

How do you tell the difference between a panhandler and a homeless person? Both will wear ratty clothing and appear unclean.

How do you tell the difference between a panhandler and a homeless person? Both will wear ratty clothing and appear unclean.

Panhandler begs you for $$$

Looks like Operation Food for Trash will begin this weekend.

Cash for trash may be possible as well. Working on a homeless summit as well.

Looks like Operation Food for Trash will begin this weekend.

Cash for trash may be possible as well. Working on a homeless summit as well.

And the true homeless are generally very willing to work. They don't want a hand out, they want a hand up.

In California one thing that could be done is cut out a few of the insane laws that create homeless people out of people who are marginal.

Three examples I know of:

A friend of mine lost his home in a divorce. Then he lost his job. Someone gave him a twelve foot camp trailer. He was able to talk some people who owned a small trailer park into letting him park next to the restrooms so he would not have to walk so far.

Along comes the man with the code book: "Buddy you can't live in a camp trailer that doesn't have a bathroom." The owner of the trailer park was fined and the camp trailer impounded.

He moved out to the rock piles where a bunch of homeless people lived. Living in a small group they had more protection than they would as individuals. They showed him how to cobble together a hut out of cast off cardboard boxes.

Along came the men with the warrants: "The businessmen in town have petitioned the city that you folks are a blight on the community so by order of this paper we are burning up all your boxes."

More recently a couple I know fell into bad times with money and could not meet their mortgage payments. They had a simple solution. Let the daughter, her husband, and their children, take over the house and the parents would live in the fifth wheel.

The gal with the code book came along. "You can't live in a fifth wheel. You have to end the situation now or else."

So now the parents are homeless.

A few homeless people were living under a huge tree that afforded them some protection. The last plant manager where I work, and some other "good people" got together to have the lower branches of the tree cut so it would not afford any protection -- So we can have a "better" community.

Multiply that a few thousand times.

That is terrible when someone like the men who had to come along and destroyed their habitat to find shelter and protection. And also your last plant manager and the "damn" people should not have done that for the people who needed shelter even if it is under the huge tree. Those homeless people want to have a better community, too. Everyone has problem just like us. Money are hard to come by when they have no jobs, no place over their heads and have nice clothes to wear for work or school plus have enough food to eat on the table. Things are never easy to come by. Look at the high cost of living everywhere which is terrible including gas prices for our car. Good Grief! :(

I am glad it had a great turnout. :) That is an awesome idea and hope it catches on!

I predict that once health care reform is underway, we will be seeing fewer and fewer homeless.

Wishing You Success

It was a great success! :ty: Today I pitched the idea to the Mayor of Oakland.

You are quite amazing. I love that you are enthusiastic and keep going when you know you have an idea that will work. So many ideas wow! I know this could be the start of something much bigger and that your "Food for Trash" idea is just one of many..smile. Keep going Tex, you are making a difference
and thats the way things change, one person at a time. I am really excited for you, and your accomplishments...so far..Midnight♥♥♥ :wave:

Back