The fcc's push for replacing tty with rtt

gtanner

Reaction score
In April of this year, the FCC put forth a proposal to replace the existing TTY network with RTT (Real-Time Text). While there are many benefits to RTT, the idea of telling the deaf community that they can no longer use their TTY devices is daunting. While TTY is not the sexiest means of communicating, it is still the default for Corporate America and Government Entities. Be it TTY or RTT, a texted based communication option is still viable and needed by the deaf community.

The NexTalk ACCESS solution, which allows you to send and receive TTY calls on your computer, can supports either TTY or RTT.

Learn more about this proposed change at: https://www.fcc.gov/document/real-time-text-nprm

I tjink I would like rtt, only because I am part of the younger generation (90s baby) and texting is how I do 90% of my communication

I had trouble find how it is supposed to work for those of us that now use VCO with our state relay when doing a landine call. I never did come up with the answer!

I had trouble find how it is supposed to work for those of us that now use VCO with our state relay when doing a landine call. I never did come up with the answer!
Wouldn't this be like the cc phone? I haven't used any services other than my husband to make phone calls. Since my hearing is in the profound hearing loss now I think I should find a good method.

I use VP most of times but I had use IP relay when home internet is down or outside of home.

AT&T cap on data sucks.

My understanding is that the text conversations in VCO will still exist, but it will use the RTT format instead of the current Baudot/TTY format. The biggest advantage of RTT is that it is available in a larger variety of mobile devices. Thereby giving the deaf community a greater selection of devices with which to communicate with. The challenge will be making sure that it is backwards compatible. TTY is pervasive and any solution needs to have the ability to be either or.

My understanding is that the text conversations in VCO will still exist, but it will use the RTT format instead of the current Baudot/TTY format. The biggest advantage of RTT is that it is available in a larger variety of mobile devices. Thereby giving the deaf community a greater selection of devices with which to communicate with. The challenge will be making sure that it is backwards compatible. TTY is pervasive and any solution needs to have the ability to be either or.

Sorry but you completely missed the fact that my question is about VCO when using a old style landline!! NOT A MOBILE DEVICE (YES I KNOW THE CAPITALS ARE SHOUTING BUT IT SEEMS NECESSARY TO SHOUT TO GET THE CORRECT ATTENTION).

Wouldn't this be like the cc phone? I haven't used any services other than my husband to make phone calls. Since my hearing is in the profound hearing loss now I think I should find a good method.

DeafNerdMommy - RTT isn't a product as much as it is a methodology. The current methodology for text conversations is Baudot/TTY. it is used for TTY calls, VCO calls, Caption phones, Text Relay calls, IP relay calls, etc. The proposed RTT methodology would replace Baudot/TTY. so it would be the format used for sending text conversations in Text calls, VCO calls, Caption phone calls, Text relay calls, IP Relay calls, etc. Fortunately, NexTalk can communicate in both the current Baudot/TTY and RTT, so you are covered either way.

Sorry but you completely missed the fact that my question is about VCO when using a old style landline!! NOT A MOBILE DEVICE (YES I KNOW THE CAPITALS ARE SHOUTING BUT IT SEEMS NECESSARY TO SHOUT TO GET THE CORRECT ATTENTION).

Jane, sorry if I frustrated you. If you are using a landline connected to a TTY device or caption phone, that TTY device or caption phone will now use the RTT format for sending and receiving text instead of the current Baudot/TTY. If the industry does change to RTT, it will be a format change only....much like when the FCC forced the change from analog tuners to digital tuners on televisions. The basic concept of TV did not change, only the format of the tuners.

Jane, sorry if I frustrated you. If you are using a landline connected to a TTY device or caption phone, that TTY device or caption phone will now use the RTT format for sending and receiving text instead of the current Baudot/TTY. If the industry does change to RTT, it will be a format change only....much like when the FCC forced the change from analog tuners to digital tuners on televisions. The basic concept of TV did not change, only the format of the tuners.

My life has been full on responses that have no connection to the comment/question they are a response to. Thus, you were one of the "last straws".

Will an old TTY really work with the RTT format? I find the Illinois State Relay in connection to an older TTY and regular landline phone works soooo well for VCO calls (when the called party does not hang up because it is not a straight voice call).

I have found a caption service with an app that seems to work well for my cell phone but do still use the landline regularly.

I did not find the change from analog TV tuners to be all good. I lost reception to a number of stations and had to buy adapters. The stations that do come in either do or don't avoiding "snow" and that type of interference which I would put up with to get the additional stations. I have gotten some new TVs since the change but what stations they will pull in is not better.

Jane, The proposal from the FCC on RTT is, at least at this time, nothing more than a proposal. It would not be the first time that the FCC proposed something that never come to fruition. I am not sure if the requirements for RTT would include backwards/cross compatibility to TTY. It would seem logical that it does....but we are talking about the government :).

NexTalk has decided to be proactive and include the RTT format into our ACCESS communication platform. that way we are covered either way.

Back