The Deaf Community

Parents can learn. Immersion in the deaf community is one way. A person can also sign themselves up for classes at their local community college. If a parent can hit the internet and search hrs on end for information regarding CI's, then, they can do the same for sign language classes.

How did you become fluent in ASL? (Over what period of time, what route did you take)

I can accept it, but, I would argue that the deaf person is still going to struggle trying to understand what is being said. If they are solely relying on speech reading, they will miss things. The CI/HA cannot be submerged in water. Deafies don't wear their equipment to bed. So, some of the time, the person is going to be completely deaf and will have to rely on the ability to speech read, which, leaves them open to miss certain phrases/words, ect. If they had a visual language (ASL) to fall back on, they'd NOT miss anything. Same is true for being in a crowd. Have you ever tried to follow more than one conversation at once? It's difficult, yes? Again, this is where ASL would be very useful.
Did it ever occur to you that there are still other means of communicating even without ASL and even if the child isn't wearing an hearing aid or a CI? For starters, some do develop excellent lipreading skills. Secondly, some of the parents do learn how to be naturally expressive and would still face their child when talking to them or would make a little more than usual mouth articulation and so forth.

For instance, my parents didn't know ASL yet I understood every word they said especially my mother even when I wasn't wearing my hearing aids and that was during the "pre-CI" days...

Parents can learn. Immersion in the deaf community is one way. A person can also sign themselves up for classes at their local community college. If a parent can hit the internet and search hrs on end for information regarding CI's, then, they can do the same for sign language classes.
What's in it for you?

I still think who are YOU to tell how ALL of the deaf people should live...?

How would you feel if someone that does not use a wheelchair tell all those that does how to live? You hadn't answered the question?

It is about hearing people telling us that we should meet their communication needs, getting CIs or HAs, or having to be a part of their world because it is the majority.
Some of you are always telling hearing parents of CI children that "they don't know what is it like to be deaf". Then tell Oceanbreeze that, that "he doesn't know what is it like to be deaf" either.

Some of you are always telling hearing parents of CI children that "they don't know what is it like to be deaf". Then tell Oceanbreeze that, that "he doesn't know what is it like to be deaf" either.

I don't think you know what it is like for me to be deaf.

Only you are talking about your daughter.

No, when someone is against childhood implantation and against chilodren being permitted to attend spoken language schools, they are deciding what is best for ALL deaf children, so they are talking about my daughter too.

Right, andyou don't know what it is like for my daughter, so why does anyone assume to have the right answers?

Right, and you don't know what it is like for your daughter too as well. You may get an idea of what it might be like... but you still don't know what it's like.

Right, and you don't know what it is like for your daughter too as well. You may get an idea of what it might be like... but you still don't know what it's like.

I never said I do, but I do have the insight available from being around her every day since before she was born, interacting with her, talking to her, watching her, asking her, and knowing her....isn't it possible that as her mother, I could have more information than someone who hasn't lived her life and hasn't even met her?

As a mother that comes naturally. However - I think my mother has much less idea of what I go through compared to my deaf peers.

Same goes for many of my friends.

Nicely said.

It's isn't me being presumptuous. You have judged each oral person on this forum and decided that their life is less than yours because they don't have ASL. You have imagined in your head that there are millions of hearing people becoming fluent in ASL everyday. You actually believe you know more about other people's lives than they do, it is ridiculous.

It's isn't me being presumptuous. You have judged each oral person on this forum and decided that their life is less than yours because they don't have ASL. You have imagined in your head that there are millions of hearing people becoming fluent in ASL everyday. You actually believe you know more about other people's lives than they do, it is ridiculous.

:) Want to start??? You of all people defend people who have very limited communication with their kid while preaching fluency... Ridiculously hypocritical?

:) Want to start??? You of all people defend people who have very limited communication with their kid while preaching fluency... Ridiculously hypocritical?

I preach fluency because it is the ONLY thing that works for kids. They must have a shared, fluent mode of communication, or they will fail. I just don't care what it is. If it works, why are you against it? I have seen happy SEE users, ASL user, Cued Speech, and spoken language users.

And who has no communication and I defend their choice of continuing to not communicate?

And you know who and what I am talking about. No need for me to name names :) You present yourself as a smart cookie, use the smarts to assemble it.

And you know who and what I am talking about. No need for me to name names :) You present yourself as a smart cookie, use the smarts to assemble it.

Hey!! I hope you aren't referring to me: just because I can't sign Allosaurus and seafoam doesn't mean I don't communicate brilliantly with my tyke!!! :D

What's in it for you?

I still think who are YOU to tell how ALL of the deaf people should live...?

How would you feel if someone that does not use a wheelchair tell all those that does how to live? You hadn't answered the question?

What it's in it for me? Knowledge, understanding, ect and so on...

How does it feel? I wouldn't know. My parents made decisions for me when I was a child, and, I've continued living life based on the decisions they made for me. I'm also not bitter or angry about it. If I'm not mistaken, this is what hearing parents are also doing for their deaf children.

Did it ever occur to you that there are still other means of communicating even without ASL and even if the child isn't wearing an hearing aid or a CI? For starters, some do develop excellent lipreading skills. Secondly, some of the parents do learn how to be naturally expressive and would still face their child when talking to them or would make a little more than usual mouth articulation and so forth.

For instance, my parents didn't know ASL yet I understood every word they said especially my mother even when I wasn't wearing my hearing aids and that was during the "pre-CI" days...

Ofc, I'm aware of the different modes of communication for the deaf. But, they aren't all equal in effectiveness. Also, the keyword in the above is "some". Some doesn't equal ALL.

Back