The Burj Khalifa Opens

Loghead

Reaction score
The world's tallest skyscraper formally opened Monday in Dubai.

The Burj Khalifa is more than 160 storeys high, rising 828 metres into the sky.

The exact height of the new tower was kept under wraps by developer Emaar Properties until the tower was opened by Dubai's ruler.

The structure is about 250 metres higher than Toronto's CN Tower.

Thousands of residents and tourists gathered around the base of the massive building for its opening.

The building is apparently named in honour of Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the ruler of Abu Dhabi and the president of the United Arab Emirates.

$9 million US per floor
The building cost about $1.5 billion US to build, or about $9 million US per floor.

Apartments in the building sold for $1,900 US per square foot at their peak, but prices have fallen by half in the wake of the financial woes that hit Dubai.

The city-state had to turn to Abu Dhabi for about $25 billion US in bailouts last year to cover amassed debts of state-linked firms.

While developer Emaar Properties is partly government-owned, it is not known if the firm got any bailout money.

"Crises come and go," said Emaar chairman Mohammad Alabbar in an interview prior to the building's formal opening.

"You have to move on. Because if you stop taking decisions, you stop growing."

Alabbar said the building is about 90 per cent sold.

Very cool. :)

CBC News - World - World's tallest skyscraper opens in Dubai

This is what the Burj Khalifa is (the tallest building in the world):

burj-khalifa-199x300.jpg

Burj Khalifa, the most fascinating destination in the world. The construction works of Burj Khalifa were started in 2004. They take 6 years to complete the work of Burj Khalifa. In 2010, the present prime minister of Dubai has opened this destination for the travelers. Lots of specialties can be seen in Burj Khalifa such as the height, cleaning process, construction works, observation deck, etc. It is a perfect spot for all types of travelers. The entire beauty of Dubai can be seen at the top of the building. It also has a world record for its height. Lots of travelers from different parts of the country like to visit this mesmerizing tour destination. Also, many cheap rate packages are also available.

Did you stay there at Burj Khalifa or just visit there? My father in law goes to Dubai frequently for years. He talks a lot about his favorite Burj al-Arab Hotel because he did swing a golf up there.

Barbaro, hi, there...I am a bit surprised that there's a hotel within the Burj Khalifa. I shouldn't be, given the size of that place. No, we just took an elevator ride to the top and walked around outside on a very nice day and we could see forever it seemed. Then we went down to the lower floors to window shop. I think we stayed in there for a good half day. Very impressive building. Saw some others there and also in neighboring Abu Dhabi....they take building architecture to new highs......

Barbaro, hi, there...I am a bit surprised that there's a hotel within the Burj Khalifa. I shouldn't be, given the size of that place. No, we just took an elevator ride to the top and walked around outside on a very nice day and we could see forever it seemed. Then we went down to the lower floors to window shop. I think we stayed in there for a good half day. Very impressive building. Saw some others there and also in neighboring Abu Dhabi....they take building architecture to new highs......

Cool. I've heard the rumor the properties in Burj Kohalifa are still empty. So many of them are empty unless you have to be a muiltmillionarie to afford that. I am told that the reason to build those tall buildings and beautiful areas is because they knew the oil would not last. Did you feel like a roller coaster when you got on the top of building?

Cool. I've heard the rumor the properties in Burj Kohalifa are still empty. So many of them are empty unless you have to be a muiltmillionarie to afford that. I am told that the reason to build those tall buildings and beautiful areas is because they knew the oil would not last. Did you feel like a roller coaster when you got on the top of building?
Barbaro, no, it did not feel like a roller coaster at all. I was shocked that we felt almost nothing and got to the top in less than a minute! No kidding! Truly amazing elevator tech. It can sway up to 5 feet, I was told...

Barbaro, no, it did not feel like a roller coaster at all. I was shocked that we felt almost nothing and got to the top in less than a minute! No kidding! Truly amazing elevator tech. It can sway up to 5 feet, I was told...

Sway up to 5 feet? That's amazing. Sweet Grandpa type art professor in my art class was so obsessed with architecture. He said that tall skyscrapers are engineered to sway, so they don't snap in half. He used to TALK and TALK about architecture a lot. Architecture is not my strong suit. Most of us thought he was teaching the wrong class. It was funny. lol For example, If you look at the Parthenon in Greece closer, the foundation (floor), steps and roof look straight to you, but it is not. It curves that way, so it won't collapse during the earthquake.

Back