The best way to learn asl

Summer.

Reaction score
I have flash cards and an app and multiple online dictionaries. I also have access to paper dictionaries. Would the best way to learn be flash cards or to learn a song? What do you think the best way for me and others to learn asl?

If you're going to learn anything you're going to need something less static than images. Videos. Classes. Practicing with deaf people. I can spot a book learned signer a mile off. Signs are almost always oriented wrong. No facial expressions. Poor grammar. Flash cards will teach you vocabulary, but it won't teach you the things that make ASL a language. Deaf people, in person classes, videos. Those are my three suggestions, and in that order.

If you have the money, you can get a weekly Deaf ASL online video tutor for about $20 - $30 a lesson. And you'll learn from a native. And you'll be supporting members of the Deaf community by actually paying them for their expertise.

If you're going to learn anything you're going to need something less static than images. Videos. Classes. Practicing with deaf people. I can spot a book learned signer a mile off. Signs are almost always oriented wrong. No facial expressions. Poor grammar. Flash cards will teach you vocabulary, but it won't teach you the things that make ASL a language. Deaf people, in person classes, videos. Those are my three suggestions, and in that order.

If you have the money, you can get a weekly Deaf ASL online video tutor for about $20 - $30 a lesson. And you'll learn from a native. And you'll be supporting members of the Deaf community by actually paying them for their expertise.

I am going to start going to a greet with coffee type thing once a month to meet deaf and hoh people. I also have an app that has videos. Thank you SO much for taking the time to write me. This really helped me.

I am 67 and taking a college ASL course. I am a bit OCD and not being able to figure out things is driving me crazy. Can someone help me with my homework? If I were to sign" Please put down your name on the paper," what is the correct order? Is please first or last? Would please, paper, jot down, your name be correct?

I am 67 and taking a college ASL course. I am a bit OCD and not being able to figure out things is driving me crazy. Can someone help me with my homework? If I were to sign" Please put down your name on the paper," what is the correct order? Is please first or last? Would please, paper, jot down, your name be correct?
I personally have no idea. I also have some OCD that bothers me too when I am trying to learn. I would ask a more expierenced person in asl. Have a great day!

Back