The 2004 Athens Games -- who's watching?

CatoCooper13

Reaction score
Hey y'all -- been wondering how many of you are watching the Games and which sports?

I've been watching a lot of the swimming events...gymnastics (both male and female), sychronised diving, basketball, softball, soccer...Equesterian competition, field hockey, shooting trap...

Mainly it's been the swimming program that has kept me riveted to the TV boob tube, :lol:

Ian Thorpe (age 21) of Australia proved all that he could reclaim his crown as the Golden Boy of the 200m swim -- in which he competed against USA's rising star, Michael Phelps (19 years old) and rival Pieter van den Hoogenband (27 - is known as Hoogie or The Flying Dutchman).
Thorpe's nickname is either Thorpey or Thorpedo. ;)
But last night in the 4x400m Relay event - Australia missed out the gold by .13th of a second behind USA with Michael Phelps in the team. Oh well -- :D

Can anyone believe the USA's shock loss in the men's basketball -- the US's Dream Team lost badly to Italy during an Exhibition. Will see how they cope with today's against Greece.

US won their first game in the Games tournament tonight against Greece -- it was a hard win though. Greece were fighting hard in winning, but conceded loss to the US by a few points.

well Roses, Lemme tell ya they beat greece NARROWLING and not only that i been watching the beach volleyball and womens volleyball for some reason makes me think of our lost friends who are in heaven. RIP Julia Chung and Becky Lufting

I know there are a few in here who may be wondering which country I'm barracking for in the Games -- it's both...Australia and USA. But admittedly more for Australia because I'm living in their lovely country! ;)

I was estastic when Petria Thomas won her pet event in the 100m butterfly event -- after 3 (yes, THREE) shoulder reconstructives and being in the shadow of Susie O'Neil who won Gold at the 2000 Sydney Games. Good on her. ;)

Michael Phelps did win a race -- but it was without Thorpey and Hoogie, though! :lol:

javapride said:
well Roses, Lemme tell ya they beat greece NARROWLING and not only that i been watching the beach volleyball and womens volleyball for some reason makes me think of our lost friends who are in heaven. RIP Julia Chung and Becky Lufting

Yeah, been watching heaps of beach volleyball -- both men and ladies -- I was estastic when the 2 Australian women teams won their first games. ;) Natalie Cook and her new teammate -- and Pottahurst with her new teammate as well.

Cook and Pottahurst won the Gold in beach volleyball at the 2000 Sydney Games. ;)

javapride said:

yeah...it's Becky LUFTIG. ;) I last heard that her parents have moved to New Mexico -- they don't live in Point Reyes anymore...my Mum informed me of that some months ago.

i watch volleyball both men and women too.. cuz of i was volleyball manager!!!

I've been watching some of the Olympics in action lately....

Good thing I got my DirecTv satellite in time for the Olympics cuz most of the Olympics were broadcasted thru NBC, MSNBC, Bravo (perfect time to watch Queer Eye for Straight Guy after a Bravo Olympics event-LOL!) and USA Network ;)

I saw the USA women water polo team narrow beat Hungary by one point...hot damn game! But it was sad to watch the USA get creamed on ping-pong (table tennis) ....WAAH!

I never watch any Olympics events because I don't find them interesting it doesn't mean I don't like to watch sports because I do watch Cleveland Indians ( baseball ) and Cleveland Browns ( football ) only if they are not losing so much heh....

I have been watching some of the Olympics, and I have been enjoying it very much. I like to support the underdogs into winning and defeating favourite teams. I was cheering on when PR beat US in basketball! Heh heh... I also was happy when South Africa won a swimming race against the US, and also happy that Japan won in the mens gymnastics. I don't mean to sound anti-American, but I get fed up a bit about the American monopoly on all sports. So, it's good to see other countries improving and proving themselves in events like this.

Also, the sights in Greece are really something. When I watched the bicycle races going around Athens, it was cool seeing different landmarks they passed, etc... I can't wait for athletics to start, so I can see if any obscure athletes can beat favourites too.

Ah -- it's great watching the biggest sporting event that happens in different countries every 4 years for almost 2 weeks. Seeing different nations in the same place, all competing and vying to medal in the top 3.

Have you noticed many seats at the Olympic arenas are like vacant?

Thats because theyre using some sort of policy to ban people from coming to the games if they wear or carry something from the game sponsor's competitors.

The "Clean Venue Policy" is an interesting first.

I could have made millions there selling plain or colored "$2.00" t-shirts for like $100 each!

Richard

Last edited:
Nesmuth said:
Have you noticed many seats at the Olympic arenas are like vacant?

Thats because theyre using some sort of policy to ban people from coming to the games if they wear or carry something from the game sponsor's competitors.

Now that is lame.

Soonersfan79 said:
Carley Patterson got the Gold baby !

Yeah, good on Carly for winning the All-Around Individual in Gymnastics! :) Carly's from the US. Sveltena Khornkina from Russia got Silver.

Allana Slater managed to stay in the top 10 ranking in the final result. Better than lower than 20. (Australia)

About time, Carley Patterson won a gold. Last time was 20 years ago, that's Mary Lou Retton. Look like it is deja vu to me. I do miss Mary's wide smiling.

Glad Ian Thorpe ruined Phelps's goal for win 8 golds at single event and break Mark Spiltz's record. Probably, nobody can break Mark's for another 25 years from now. Who knows?

Lasza said:
About time, Carley Patterson won a gold. Last time was 20 years ago, that's Mary Lou Retton. Look like it is deja vu to me. I do miss Mary's wide smiling.

Glad Ian Thorpe ruined Phelps's goal for win 8 golds at single event and break Mark Spiltz's record. Probably, nobody can break Mark's for another 25 years from now. Who knows?

Yeah...What Mary Lou Retton achieved was wonderful! Same goes for Nadia Comenci in the late 70's to early 80's before Mary Lou. Nadia's the ex-Romanian gymnast who won gold with a perfect 10.0

BTW, the USA's Dream Team defeated Australia's Boomers by 7 points, I reckon. Oh well...it was a great basketball game, nonetheless. ;)

I still remember back at the 2000 Sydney Games when the 4x400m Men's swim relay was the most hyped up sport -- when Australia's 'Green Mean Machine' team defeated USA's team. Ian Thorpe was only 17 years old at the time of the Games and he had led his team to Gold at Sydney. He hoped to do the same at Athens, but the USA team simply was too good.

It was interesting watching the C1 and K1 kayaking competition! Same with the Esquestrian program as well...I even watched an Archery comp which was interesting -- an Australian won bronze in the finals of archery.

Honestly, I'm not fan of Sports... I have no time to watch TV.. It depends on my time. I might watch once or twice... :o

I love to watch olympics!!! I don't watch when USA Men's basketball plays >:o! because once they play, they all always digust me and make me really piss off how they play! I know they could do MUCH I mean, reallly MUCH better than that!!!!

Back