Testing HA's

MCB

Reaction score
OK. My hearing loss is severe to mild- cookie bite. I visited my mother last weekend. She also has a hearing loss, but also has early Alzheimer's. She vaguely said that she needed new batteries. She was missing out on a lot of conversation, and I had to repeat things my son said. I tried to listen to her HA's, and could get nothing. I tested for squeal, one gave a faint squeal, the other did not.

She also has no drier for her HAs, and we live in a humid climate. I can send an e-mail to my sister suggesting various options.

I called my sister (who lives in the same town as Mom), and gave her a message to get Mom to the audi SOON, as Alzheimer patient functioning is significantly impaired by hearing loss. She also has balance issues.

Question: How do you test to see if someone else's HAs are working when your loss is more severe than the other person's?

She probably also needs to have a friend come in every morning to make sure the HAs are working, like in the schools.

I think you see if your mother audiologist can get her a hearing aides that have a flashing light on it let you know when the battery is dying. My new HA are kids friendly and has a red flashing light on then so the parents or teachers can just check the back of the hearing aide and see if the red light is flashing!!
I was out with my daugther in her car and and 5 years old granddaughter ask me why is my HA is flashing a red light! I had to LOL, my granddaughter was telling me my battery was going dead!
That much be really hard having a mother that HOH and has Alzheimer. She could forget to put the battery in her HA or not have it on the dial .

Yeah. I can watch this thread, and maybe just send a link to sis. Mom complains that sis and family are so busy. Maybe she feels neglected. I am on the job hunt, and would really like to move closer to her so I can help sis monitor things.

I have a job interview close to here this afternoon, and another very similar job opened up closer to Mom.

I think you see if your mother audiologist can get her a hearing aides that have a flashing light on it let you know when the battery is dying. My new HA are kids friendly and has a red flashing light on then so the parents or teachers can just check the back of the hearing aide and see if the red light is flashing!!
I was out with my daugther in her car and and 5 years old granddaughter ask me why is my HA is flashing a red light! I had to LOL, my granddaughter was telling me my battery was going dead!
That much be really hard having a mother that HOH and has Alzheimer. She could forget to put the battery in her HA or not have it on the dial .

that's what I have, a hearing aid with a LED on it.
mine is an Oticon Safari P 600

AHA!! I have seen a battery tester. Very reasonably priced. My old HA's had no low battery warning, and at one time I was thinking of getting one. I wonder if that stethoset is something the administrators of her elderly residence could get.

I sent sis a link to the thread.

I got my first ones 12 years ago. Siemens ITE. Now I have ReSound Ziga BTE, 2 years ago. I want to have my hearing re-checked, but I first have to get a job because voc rehab only pays for initial test, HAs, and fitting. Good question. How much is me and how much is her?

She has a brand that is often talked about here-- I forget which one. She has just the dome. I have molds, voc rehab was willing to pay for molds, and audi said that I am just inside of the effectiveness range for dome.

What about Council on Aging , is there one in your mother town or city, they may be able to find someone to help your mother test her HA. I guess your mother does not have a visiting nurse or health aide, I wonder if she could have one come for 15 minutes to help with her HA? I had a client and he only got 15
minutes of care from me. The health aide could also made sure your mother ate and took her pills if take any .

Yeah-- that might help too. Sis is social worker-- not an expert on aging issues though. And, like I said, she is busy on other issues. We don't really want to move Mom to a nursing home too early. She could go into a real emotional slump.

AHA!! I have seen a battery tester. Very reasonably priced. My old HA's had no low battery warning, and at one time I was thinking of getting one. I wonder if that stethoset is something the administrators of her elderly residence could get.

I sent sis a link to the thread.

my old Siemens doesn't have that either, instead it makes static sounds then it's dead.
my old and new Oticon has that feature

Back