TEST RESULT on Adam

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
Ok so we went to Cincinnati Children's Hospital for two days this week... Adam saw the ENTIRE ENT/Audi/Speech and Developmental team I swear... Weds appointments were from 9am-5pm, w/a 30 minute break for lunch...

We got excellent news from the Developmental ped- his visual skills rank age to ABOVE age appropriate!!!! WOOHOO!!! Adam's NEVER tested above his age range for ANYTHING before--- or even close to his age range so momma was VERY excited and teary eyed about that one, he really put on a show!!

Speech ranks 9-18 months (he's 28.5 months old)

And Receptive listening skills roughly 12-16 months...

So I was pleased... especially since I just decided to forgo the Oral Route and do a more Total comm route w/ASL... (which was totally backed by the review team-- especially w/his 'brain damage' and congenital CMV status... they think visual learning is his thing!)

TODAYS tests blew me out of the water... from the time A was 6 weeks old every ABR he's had, every booth test, EVERYTHING has given us a profound Left ear and a Moderate Right-- (originally a Mild Right)

He had a sedated ABR at 7am :yawn: and a booth test at 1pm today--

The results...

Right--- NORMAL HEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Left-- Profound Loss...
But NORMAL hearing??? WHOA no wonder he hears me sometimes w/out aids from across the house!!!! And others he doesn't seem to hear me when I'm in his face-- (OK yeah he's 2 and has an attitude but still)

THEN the Audi's said if they were evaluating him on these two separate tests today they wouldn't recommend HA's at ALL!!!!! Because A) Right ear is NORMAL and B) there's NOTHING responding on the left-- so nothing is amplified...

I'm still in shock... after two years of getting the same results across the board-- SO we are to go back in about a month for a functional MRI to see how his brain is rewiring itself-- and have a repeat booth test. JUST to make sure that he IS normal in that right ear and doesn't have a fluctuating loss which they said is rare but possible--

AND they did mention due to the area of his 'damage' it's possible his speech delays are due to a speech processing issue... Not just his hearing...

So even though I'm EXHAUSTED and so is he (AND my little brother who graciously went with us-- asked questions and is anxious to learn ASL) it was worth it-- I mean I wouldn't want to be wearing a HA in my ear, turned up if I was hearing ok... that would be annoying!!!

So we're going to work on the ASL and see if we can't get that language moving--

(OH and he learned the sign for HELP WHILE we were in the speech assessment!!! yeah he's that quick on it!!! :D :D :D)

I hope there's no bad news in that, Adamsmomma. Not that I'm all that knowledgeable but when I was reading, I thought of single-sided deafness...

I am SO thrilled for you!

I hope there's no bad news in that, Adamsmomma. Not that I'm all that knowledgeable but when I was reading, I thought of single-sided deafness...

Tousi... No bad news at all!!! Just shocked... I knew something was up when he heard me from down stairs (unaided) the other day!! i honestly suspected a neuropathy-- but nope-- just possibly processing due to the brain damage-- (which I have asked about for TWO years now at his Early Intervention meetings and never have got a straight answer about!)

Tousi... No bad news at all!!! Just shocked... I knew something was up when he heard me from down stairs (unaided) the other day!! i honestly suspected a neuropathy-- but nope-- just possibly processing due to the brain damage-- (which I have asked about for TWO years now at his Early Intervention meetings and never have got a straight answer about!)
Ohhhhh, well, then YAY!!! :hug:

I am so happy for you and Adam. Also, kudos to your brother for wanting to start learning ASL. :applause:

I am SO thrilled for you!

Thanks Shel... I'm excited b/c now I KNOW we made the right decision w/the ASL...

infact on the way home tonight we were about 30 min out and I look back at him in the mirror, he caught my eye and started signing ICE CREAM-- so I said "you want an Ice Cream??" and signed it back-- he smiled HUGE and said YEAH!!!! So when we got off the exit to our house he started wiggling in his seat and signing FURIOUSLY for "Ice Cream"... he knew what he wanted, and he could tell me!!!!!! (and yes he got his 'ice cream' shoot he deserved it after the past two days!)

Thanks Shel... I'm excited b/c now I KNOW we made the right decision w/the ASL...

infact on the way home tonight we were about 30 min out and I look back at him in the mirror, he caught my eye and started signing ICE CREAM-- so I said "you want an Ice Cream??" and signed it back-- he smiled HUGE and said YEAH!!!! So when we got off the exit to our house he started wiggling in his seat and signing FURIOUSLY for "Ice Cream"... he knew what he wanted, and he could tell me!!!!!! (and yes he got his 'ice cream' shoot he deserved it after the past two days!)

right there, you got language development happening and that is sooooo important. Kudos to you for doing this for him. :)

Sounds like great news.....congrats

Thanks Tx :)

Lucky Adam!

Thanks Bott :D (btw, any luck on those Zombie shoes while I was gone?? you ever find them??)

I am so happy for you and Adam. Also, kudos to your brother for wanting to start learning ASL. :applause:

I was quite surprised Matt wanted to-- AND even would stop the Drs and therapists when they were signing to ask "how did you do that one?" he's got CAPD and is also a VERY visual learner-- so I think it'll help him too ;)

Ohhhhh, well, then YAY!!! :hug:

Thanks Tousi :D

My Zombie shoes remain missing, much to my consternation.

Well DARN IT!!! I was hoping you'd find them before I got back around LOL-- if it's cool with you I'll keep an eye open for at least the laces here- for you :D ;)

Back