Terps

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with Etoile? A mood swing maybe. I FORGIVE you Etoile. It's not your fault.

Etoile, would say that in AD there are wolves in sheep clothing? In other words, people who seem pure and kind but are truly possessing bad intent?

I smell something fishy lately around AD- with some members. My strong instincts tell me to be careful in here. Do you catch my drift? Or is it my paranoia acting up again?? I hope I do not need more meds now. :giggle:

A bipolar person goes from sanity, to a manic state, to a dark mood (depression) in a short time. If that is not insanity I do not know what is. And to say that such a person is completely responsible for his/her actions is ludicrous and unjust. Just ask a judge of law.

And if this is what you go through, due to either lack of medication or needing an adjustment or whatever it is, then to answer your previous question bluntly although I know you will not listen: no, you should not be an interpreter. There are many other ways you can work with deaf people that would be more suited to your situation. There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't work with deaf people. Interpreting is only one path and from what you yourself describe, it is not one that you are suited for. Accepting full responsibility for one's actions is one of the cornerstones of being an interpreter, and it is very difficult even for completely mentally healthy people to do that.

If you wish to lay blame for your actions on your mental illness, then it should be of some comfort that again it is not your lack of ability or determination, but rather your illness preventing you from following that particular path.

It is my illness Interpretrator. How many times do I have to say that your assumtion is dead wrong. Read this >>.

I just found this paragraph on the Net:

Bipolar disorder can be extremely distressing and disruptive for those who have this disease, their spouses, family members, friends and employers. Although there is no known cure, bipolar disorder is treatable, and recovery is possible. Individuals with bipolar disorder have successful relationships and meaningful jobs. The combination of medications and psychotherapy helps the vast majority of people return to productive, fulfilling lives.

It is my illness Interpretrator.

That is exactly what I just said.

I cannot believe I got sucked into trying to help again. You genuinely are totally resistant to advice that doesn't square with what you want to hear, so much so that you can't even see when someone is AGREEING WITH YOU.

Good luck with that. I'm out of my mind for stepping in here again. It's really, really deep.

That is exactly what I just said.

I cannot believe I got sucked into trying to help again. You genuinely are totally resistant to advice that doesn't square with what you want to hear, so much so that you can't even see when someone is AGREEING WITH YOU.

Good luck with that. I'm out of my mind for stepping in here again. It's really, really deep.

You are coming through as negative and not a helper. We are misunderstanding each others words. It seems like you are preaching to me Interpretrator. At least that's how it sounds to me anyway.

You are coming through as negative and not a helper. We are misunderstanding each others words. It seems like you are preaching to me Interpretrator. At least that's how it sounds to me anyway.

Aqua:

Interpretrator is not being negative at all. No one here is saying that we do not understand your Bi-Polar "issues." What we do not understand is the continued use of it as an "excuse" for your actions at all times. I have a condition that causes mood swings and depression. It's horrible for me and my family. It's most hard for my 2 kids. The thing is, I don't let it own me, I own the condition. I do not let it consume me and take over my life and use it as a "crutch" for my actions. I, in no way, want to see you leave the forum because in threads other than this one, you have some great topics and have some great things to say. However, I think it would be a good idea for you to really take a step back from this particular thread and regroup, so to speak. Take a deep breath and realize that no one was attacking you. They were in fact trying to give you the advice you were seeking and did so over and over again even when you asked the same question in many different ways. Sometimes you have to stand back and look at a persons answer from a point of view other than your own.
I hope that you do not give up on ASL, but I also hope that you focus on your bi-polar and then go from there. Anyway, do stick around.

Shells

Aqua:

Interpretrator is not being negative at all. No one here is saying that we do not understand your Bi-Polar "issues." What we do not understand is the continued use of it as an "excuse" for your actions at all times. I have a condition that causes mood swings and depression. It's horrible for me and my family. It's most hard for my 2 kids. The thing is, I don't let it own me, I own the condition. I do not let it consume me and take over my life and use it as a "crutch" for my actions. I, in no way, want to see you leave the forum because in threads other that this one, you have some great topics and have some great things to say. However, I think it would be a good idea for you to really take a step back from this particular thread and regroup, so to speak. Take a deep breath and realize that no one was attacking you. They were in fact trying to give you the advice you were seeking and did so over and over again even when you asked the same question in may different ways. Sometimes you have to stand back and look at a persons answer from a point of view other than your own.
I hope that you do not give up on ASL, but I also hope that you focus on your bi-polar and then go from there. Anyway, do stick around.

Shells
:gpost:
Two hands WAY up!

until you accept responsibility for your actions, noone is going to take you seriously...not here..and not in the real world.

grow up

Aqua:

Interpretrator is not being negative at all. No one here is saying that we do not understand your Bi-Polar "issues." What we do not understand is the continued use of it as an "excuse" for your actions at all times. I have a condition that causes mood swings and depression. It's horrible for me and my family. It's most hard for my 2 kids. The thing is, I don't let it own me, I own the condition. I do not let it consume me and take over my life and use it as a "crutch" for my actions. I, in no way, want to see you leave the forum because in threads other than this one, you have some great topics and have some great things to say. However, I think it would be a good idea for you to really take a step back from this particular thread and regroup, so to speak. Take a deep breath and realize that no one was attacking you. They were in fact trying to give you the advice you were seeking and did so over and over again even when you asked the same question in many different ways. Sometimes you have to stand back and look at a persons answer from a point of view other than your own.

Shells

Thank you Schermy. Very important reply for me. Now one thing please, I am not making any excuses. I am expressing reasons for my behavour. That's all. I do not understand (really) why the opposite is true for most. I never give excuses...that just isn't me. If I would feel that I have made excuses I would declare it and ask for forgiveness in a heart beat. Please believe what I am saying in the reply. Thank you.

until you accept responsibility for your actions, noone is going to take you seriously...not here..and not in the real world.

grow up

You were one of the member that took the full brunt of my madness and for that I sincerly ask for your forgiveness. It hurts me deeply what happens. I mean, what would be my benefit from my insane words? Again, I am sorry Ariskkas. But I would understand if you remain angry with me and not want to forgive my words. Thank you.

Interpretrator's posts weren't negative--they were very informative and realistic.

AB, if you are truly interested in the interpreting profession, you will have to prepare yourself to "take it like a man" the constant evaluation and criticism (some constructive, some not) of instructors, fellow students, clients and consumers, professional peers, and self.

You will also have to prepare yourself for staying calm during highly charged emotional assignments, even after a long day, heavy traffic, a headache, and no lunch. You have to be a swan swimming upstream--serene on the surface while paddling furiously underwater, out of view.

Harsh as it seems, when the Deaf consumer is getting news from the hearing doctor that he has a terminal disease, or from the hearing boss that he's getting laid off, or from the hearing judge that he's getting 20 years in prison, or from the hearing cop that his daughter was murdered, that Deaf consumer doesn't care if you're having a bad day. That Deaf consumer may lash out at you with angry signs (or even a fist)--you have to be patient and quick on your feet.

The rewards are there too, of course, but terps can't allow them to go to their hearts and heads.

Terps are human but are sometimes expected to behave in ways that deny their humanity, and then keep it to themselves.

I'm not trying to scare you off or seem "negative." I truly love my profession. But I (and other terps here at AD) want you to go into it with both eyes wide open.

Because I was not totally responsible Darmah…not totally: Only partially. That’s why.

As a therapist, I have to tell you, AB, you are responsible. Your disoder may be a reason. However, it is not an excuse, and you are attempting to use it as one to avoid taking responsibility for your actions and making appropriate apologies. I'm sorry if this comment offends you, but I would say same to any client of mine that was behaving in the same way.

I just found this paragraph on the Net:

And in order for that successful treatment to occur, the individual has to be able to accept responsibility for their disease. Accepting resposnibility means making apologies for innappropriate behavior when it occurs. Not simply saying, "It was my disorder. Don't hold me responsible." But saying, "My disorder sometimes makes me act in innappriate ways. I am sorry for my actions." Otherwise, you are allowing your disorder to control your life, rather than taking control of your disorder.

As a therapist, I have to tell you, AB, you are responsible. Your disoder may be a reason. However, it is not an excuse, and you are attempting to use it as one to avoid taking responsibility for your actions and making appropriate apologies. I'm sorry if this comment offends you, but I would say same to any client of mine that was behaving in the same way.

I disgree. It was not my fault (completely).

Last edited:
jillio: If you were to know me personally, you would agree with my answer. I do not feel in the least fully responsible for my actions. If I felt your were correct, I would of apoligize immediately. If you or others feel differently, I am sorry. But I know that I am not fully guilty. You would have to know me to know that fact. Thank you for your word anyway.

jillio: If you were to know me personally, you would agree with my answer. I do not feel in the least fully responsible for my actions. If I felt your were correct, I would of apoligize immediately. If you or others feel differently, I am sorry. But I know that I am not fully guilty. You would have to know me to know that fact. Thank you for your word anyway.

Seriously???? You're going to argue with a therapist???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back